Jefe's SAS | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by BKennedy
You should relocate the batteries to where the old spare tire used to be mounted up behind and above the rear axle. Those Optima batteries can be mounted sideways. Then you would have plenty of room for the coilover hoop.
The batteries are fine. its the master cylinder, power distro box and ABS module that are the problem. It'll all fit, it will just be a bit snug.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Jefe, how do you plan on keeping the ABS with out the sensors? I just took out my ABS module and it freed up some good room.

Looks nice. i just wonder why you are going to all the trouble of setting it up with a D30 if you are gonna swap a 44 in? :rolleyes:

I am sure you have a reason. But looks like your project is coming along.

Originally posted by JoshC
Jefe, how do you plan on keeping the ABS with out the sensors? I just took out my ABS module and it freed up some good room.
I won't have brake lines going through the ABS module. Only reason I have for keeping the ABS module is for speedo. Haven't found a way around that yet. Want to figure out if I could somehow use the j**p speedo in my Atlas.

Originally posted by taxxman2k
Looks nice. i just wonder why you are going to all the trouble of setting it up with a D30 if you are gonna swap a 44 in? :rolleyes:

I am sure you have a reason. But looks like your project is coming along.
When I planned this all I didn't have money to put into a nice D44, so I would set it up with the 30 and when the money came around I'd order a D44 with the TJ brackets, so everything will just bolt right up.

What I think is awesome is the wide variety of SAS setups that have been sprouting up. Instead of going the cookie cutter route there is a lot of creativity going on:thumbsup: :chug:

Originally posted by Rick
What I think is awesome is the wide variety of SAS setups that have been sprouting up. Instead of going the cookie cutter route there is a lot of creativity going on:thumbsup: :chug:

I don't think there is a cookie cutter route for us second gens. Everything has to be somewhat creative. If there is a cookie cutter route then I would have to say mine is the closest to it. ;) but it still required some fabrication and creativity.

I don't think there is a cookie cutter route for any year. truckmagic and I have very similur setups be ended up being very different in the end. I'm playing around with the idea of building some spring hangers for those who would like to have leaft springs on a first gen. There are vast amount of technology out there. It is very impressive to see who does what, how, and why. I don't think there is a clear right or wrong setup. I only know of two failures.

Jefe's engineering is very impressive. I think this will turn out to be one of the cleanest SASs I've seen.

Hey Jefe, you got a picture of your steering box mount? Just curious to see how close it is to the lower radiator hose since mine is touching it.
My box is just barely touching the radiator hose. however with it in that position there isn't much room between my steering linkage and track bar (less than 1/4" at some points).

I've got the coil-over hoops near done.

I ordered my custom axle today from Tri-county gear:
HP D44
TJ bracketry
Elec-trac
Rock guard for elec-trac
5x5.5
Warn Premium hubs
11" disc brakes

That should be here in 2-3 weeks.

And I've only got 36 days till Moab :eek:

Originally posted by Jefe

Ahh... Nothin better than a good ol' fashioned race against time :D ;)

Originally posted by Jefe
I've got the coil-over hoops near done.

I ordered my custom axle today from Tri-county gear:
HP D44
TJ bracketry
Elec-trac
Rock guard for elec-trac
5x5.5
Warn Premium hubs
11" disc brakes

Damn, Mind me asking how much that ran you?

Day 9

Here's the first completed hoop. just needs to be welded to the frame. The other sides metal is cut, just gotta weld it up, and then fab up a cross brace between the two.

Ride height:
9-18_1.jpg

Droop:
9-18_3.jpg

Stuff:
9-18_4.jpg

Stuff from up top:
9-18_5.jpg

I hear ya Jefe! Is that a ranger box?

Hybrid steering shaft:
9-20_1.jpg

Guess I forgot to take a pic with it installed. I did have to rotate the box up more to better line it up with the steering shaft.

I hear ya Jefe! Is that a ranger box?
It came out of a 1st gen explorer, but its the same box as in the 90(?) - 97 Ranger.

Wow Jefe nice work! Looks like you're on the home stretch.

Looking good Jefe. Is that cross brace a normal part of an SAS?

Originally posted by jobunn
Looking good Jefe. Is that cross brace a normal part of an SAS?

they are normal on swaps that have coilovers thatgo so far up into the engine bay. If he didnt do that the area where the bracket on frame for the coilover mount is welded on may start to crack and possibly rip a hole in the frame. If you did leaves or coils where the mount is right off the frame you probably wouldnt need it.

Looks good jefe cant wait to see it finished.

Matt

Back