jenny craig build | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jenny craig build

Ironically I was talking to Firezapper last saturday and he mentioned IZwicks build...

interesting that 2 guys are thinking along similar lines...

as some of you know I have/had a topheavy exo caged fullwidth explorer..
th_PaintedRock4-29-07013.jpg

well..

after putting the sterling and the HD44 under it 2 years ago..it became so heavy that my 460 towrig had problems with it (ok..not problems..but wasnt as fast towin it)...

so I chopped the top..n bikini'd the doors..
DCP_7127.jpg

that helped alot...wheeled it this way for a year...but wasnt happy...too wide...

so I decided to ditch most of the exo...run the front tubes inside the fenders and just start building the internal cage...
plans
DCP_8041b.jpg

actual to this point (blue tape is where I need another tube and all the way down to the slider..and the tape on the fenders is the cutline..)
DCP_8171.jpg

then I decided it would be a good time (since I dont have the funding for the diesel buggy I want to build) to modd this some more..

swap out the A4LD and doubler/t-case for a C4/D20 thats twinsticked..do some motorwork..push the motor down and back about a foot each..(move the CG of the truck)
DCP_8196.jpg

wheres waldo!
DCP_8198.jpg

cut the front framehorns to suck the bumper in and reduce overhang..
DCP_8173.jpg

DCP_8176.jpg

dcp_8190.jpg

DCP_8177.jpg

finnished location about 6in further inboard.
dcp_8183.jpg

skin the bodypanels and do a dirt-track style and hang the skins from the cage to save weight...

cut the floor out so I can doghouse for the motor move and throw expanded grating down for several reasons..
1.makes it easier to clean out (we mudbog with it too)
2.make it even lighter
3.mount the seats to the cage rather than whats left of the body.
4.so I can monitor the driveline and see tire placement thru the holes. (thanks Billavista for the idea from your truck!)

ditch the back bench..throw in 2 spare buckets I've got..and 4point harness all the seats...

oh..and beadlocks..(new tires too..maybe 38's) and then I can ditch the spare tire...(that saves about 80lbs!!)

all in all I am looking to dump about 600lbs over what it was with just the top off..

I've ditched my OBA setup infavor of a powertank (THANKS CHUBBY@ 4wheelparts!!)

just what I've taken off sofar is around 400..gotta lot of floor to cut out..but about half the weight will go back in with the crosstubes for the seats and the grating..

once I get the body gutted into just hanging panels it should be really close to what I want to weigh...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got the motor out and resting...

DCP_8195.jpg

now time for the plasma...hope it gets home today...been gone getting repaired...UPS says it'll be here today!!

this weekends adventures...

well..aside from having to stop twice on saturday..(to pick up a sidejob..and then to get food later..and many people stopping by to hang out and/or needing something..)...I think I got alot done...was out till 2am cuttin and triming...at 1am the dogs gave up and went to bed....(slackers!!)

at the CRACK of NOON!! (wife and kid took off with my SIL for the day..so I slept in...sue me!!)
DCP_8201.jpg

back doors skinned
DCP_8203.jpg

tailgate skinned..(dam there was bout 60lbs right there!!)
DCP_8205.jpg

trunk?
DCP_8206.jpg

and heres the point after all the stops and people swingin by..
(notice its suddenly now dark...)
DCP_8207.jpg

DCP_8210.jpg

DCP_8209.jpg

after this point the camera batteries died..I got some crappy cellpix..but heres the finnishd product as of yesterday..still have the firewall to do..but need to get the floor in the rest to keep it aligned till some of the wall comes out...

DCP_8221.jpg

DCP_8220.jpg

skins on real quick..not sure how much Im gonna hack out of the front doors yet..so theyre unmolested..(for now..)
DCP_8215.jpg

DCP_8225.jpg

MOST (not all) of the pile....easy 300lbs...EASY (per my back)...
DCP_8214.jpg

Wow a lot of good work there! Should be a hell of a lot of fun when you're all done with it!

Great work -- that C4/D20 is an awesome combo.

I'm lovin this build. I hate unnecessary weight.

Man you lost some weight. Id say at least 120 lbs.Are you gonna move the radiator to the rear?

Could you clearify were exsactley the c4/d20 combo comes from?Is it a early 80's ranger or f150..maybe?Also do it bolt right up or do you have to exchange bellhouses.If it's from a ranger it should bolt up with a little starter trimming right?i dont know what im asking but i think you could answer it better.

welp havnt gotten SQUAT done the last week...theres a truck in that bay of the garage and I've been runnin crazy...

the C4 converter (orileys fm118) fits the A4LD flywheel
DCP_8234.jpg

DCP_8241.jpg

A4LD converter
DCP_8235.jpg

Im guessin SB flywheel..compared to a4ld flywheel..
DCP_8242.jpg

sb flywheel compared to c4 bolt holes.
DCP_8243.jpg

stock fuel drop in...thinking about using this..but will probably just disconnect the pump from the assembly and put it in the tank.
DCP_8239.jpg

DCP_8244.jpg

Man you lost some weight. Id say at least 120 lbs.Are you gonna move the radiator to the rear?

Could you clearify were exsactley the c4/d20 combo comes from?Is it a early 80's ranger or f150..maybe?Also do it bolt right up or do you have to exchange bellhouses.If it's from a ranger it should bolt up with a little starter trimming right?i dont know what im asking but i think you could answer it better.

rad gonna go back up front..(ever seen a hose bust and spray the occupants?? not fun!!)

the back seat support weighed at LEAST 70lbs...and the back deck was another 80lbs...so yea...its close to 250 before I took the gastank and the thick skidplate out!!

what I have is out of an F150/truck...swap the bellhousing to a v6 (from a pinto 2.8 same block as a 4.0 )..and a pinto c4 converter..(got the bell from a guy..the converter from orileys autoparts..)

from the looks of it I dont have to swap the A4LD flywheel out..and the starter will fit just fine...but I havnt gotten that far yet..

Took scrap in saturday...410Lbs!!...hows that for a weigh in??

well got a LITTLE work done yesterday...

rear floor in...back seat support in..gottem tacked in for now..(gotta get bolts today)

and an extra upright I wanted for support..:brow:

got the bell mounted on the trans..and grabbed stuff to get the cooler lines plumbed in..and vents plumbed...

DCP_8252.jpg

DCP_8253.jpg

DCP_8254.jpg

DCP_8251.jpg

oh yeah that is awesome, I love the mesh floor.It will make it so much easier to spot potentual hangups.Plus it'll never retain water.

the mesh floor is a great idea and will allow the whole family to get wet when you go through the mud holes.

the mesh floor is a great idea and will allow the whole family to get wet when you go through the mud holes.

:D

actually just some cheap rubber floormats will take care of most of it...and some stratigic pieces of tin/plastic will take care of the rest...but yea..yer gonna "become one with nature":cool:

mocked the motor in...lotsa choppin...but as it sits now..14in back from stock and 6 down..gonna pick it up about 2 more to help the belly...

driveshafts are 37 front and 40 rear.,..did good there...

gotta figure out gaspedal...motor/tranny mounts..and get some headder wrap and some heat shrouds on that sucker!!

DCP_8266.jpg

DCP_8267.jpg

DCP_8268.jpg

DCP_8271.jpg

DCP_8275.jpg

DCP_8273.jpg

DCP_8276.jpg

DCP_8280.jpg

DCP_8279.jpg

Ouu moving the engine back -- nice :)

Ouu moving the engine back -- nice :)

yup...all part of the build plan...I could move it even further back at this point..wont interfere any WORSE than it is now...gonna need some heat shields!!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You northern guys get to run the pimp expanded metal floor... down here i can just imagine running Hot Springs in June, 102 degrees 80% humidity, with the tranny and exhaust cooking feet like hot dogs on a Weber. :p:

Either way, sweet re-build. :D

Back