Jerk/studder under very light throttle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jerk/studder under very light throttle

batesfusion

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer
This is hard to explain but...

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 AWD

When the truck is cold it doesnt do it but it does when warmed up after driving for a few minutes.
When its around 1500-2200 RPM in any gear and you give it just enough throttle to drive at a steady speed it will start jerking and bucking. IF you give it more it will go away. It does it from 2nd gear all the way up to overdrive. Even more noticeable when im pulling a small trailer. No Check engine light though. It threw one once for an egr code so i replaced it but it didnt fix the problem.

Ive recently replaced...
EGR
TPS
Plugs
wires
coil
MAF
PCV
Harmonic Balancer

and had no change after any of this was replaced

frustrated to say the lease

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my 4.0 trans fluid changed with a complete flush and filter.
It's smoother shifting, but the RPM will increase sometimes like its figuring what gear to shift to, but it's not bucking or jerking.
Might try disconnecting the battery to clear out the computer or a fluid change.
You can search for a software update from the dealership, but seems like it's not a sure cure.

I did a fluid flush roughly 30k ago, that thought had crossed my mind though.
I've tried to clear the codes a few times but no luck there

Since you say it is good cold and more noticeable towing, I would say that it is the torque converter that is the problem.

Since you say it is good cold and more noticeable towing, I would say that it is the torque converter that is the problem.

Hmmm... Rough guess on price to get one replaced? Would I best to try a fluid change first?

No, I don't think that a fluid change will help since you just did it 30k ago. A torque converter will set you back about $330 through NAPA or a remanufactured will cost you around $200. A transmission shop would be your best bet for verifying if they agree with my assessment and would be able to give you an estimate on the cost of repair. I would say at least 3 hours of labor to pull the tranny, replace the torque converter, and then put it all back in.

This is hard to explain but...

2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 AWD

When the truck is cold it doesnt do it but it does when warmed up after driving for a few minutes.
When its around 1500-2200 RPM in any gear and you give it just enough throttle to drive at a steady speed it will start jerking and bucking. IF you give it more it will go away. It does it from 2nd gear all the way up to overdrive. Even more noticeable when im pulling a small trailer. No Check engine light though. It threw one once for an egr code so i replaced it but it didnt fix the problem.

Ive recently replaced...
EGR
TPS
Plugs
wires
coil
MAF
PCV
Harmonic Balancer

and had no change after any of this was replaced

frustrated to say the lease
Just wondering if you found a solution to your problem. I am having an identical issue.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been seen here since July 29, 2016.

Peter

Back