Jet chip

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
I currently have a Jet Chip and was thinking about having it custom programed. Ive heard both good and bad about the Jet chips and have recently been seeing alot of good feedback on Superchips. Would it be better to buy a Superchip and have them program it or stick with Jet? Or would it really matter if it was a custom job? ALSO! I was looking to smoooth out my ride on my 94. I put a post in the suspension area but no one replied. (sigh)... Currently the only mod Ive made is shocks and was thinking about a sway bar and bushings but am not sure if that would help. Im looking for a better street/freeway ride.

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nick- what kind of tires are you running? ...makes a huge difference for ride quality in the older, half-assed, not quite independent front suspension models like yours and mine if there's a set of nice meats with true tread and good balance/alignment (in other words, take the Firestone's in the back yard and set them ablaze). as for bushings, if you're experiencing a heavy clunk in your floorboard when driving over sharp bumps or making sharp turns into driveways/parking spaces, then radius arm bushings are your problem. could be an I-beam pivot bushing too, but I've not had too much experience with those. you can get complete set of urethane bushings for the front end and they will clear a lot of the slop out, but beware... they're somewhat sensitive to temperature so ride quality suffers when it's cold out. I don't have an upgraded swaybar or bushings, but your Edelbrocks should have taken away a lot of the body roll experienced under highway cornering... they're just top-heavy, period. you know? put it this way: she'll never ride like a caddy, but who would want that anyway? :)

They are firestones.. not the stock firestones.. but they do suck Im sure. :) Wasnt my call on those. Another family member decided to do it themselves and bought crap. :) hehe. Someone else mentioned radius arm bushings... I guess Ill give em a try, but its not the clunk that bothers me.. if I get one its because Im going about 90mph and my subwoofer ends up in the front seat. :) Prolly should bolt that down. Anyways... Is that something I can replace myself? I got the shocks installed after like 10 hours. :) I didnt have a jack and had to compress the shocks by hand. Good thing Im super buff. hah hah.

Nick

Nick- the tires would be your biggest problem, so upgrading tire size & getting something with a softer compound when the fireballs wear out would be a good call. 30x9.50s are the biggest that will fit (assuming stock ride height) without carving up your fender wells like I did. if you've got access to pneumatic tools and can borrow somebody's floor jack, radius arm bushing replacement wouldn't be that big a deal... but if you try and get in there with only a ratchet and elbow grease, I don't care if you're the Incredible Hulk, she's not going to come apart too easily. again, they just ride ****ty and although there are _some_ mods you can make to tighten things up it's more a product of half-assed design engineering than anything else.

a

So into the shop it goes. I though i read that you could put up to 31 10.50 on some explorers... will they check and see if they will fit? Hmph.

Nick

I've heard from a couple people that 31x10.5s will fit too, but mine didn't. I can't see what could possibly be different from one model year to the next, the only thing I can think of is that there were three different rim styles that were used from 90 to 94?? mine are 15 inch, but I guess I'm not sure about the rest. you could always ask the tire shop to mount one up and check the steering clearance, but I don't know what they'll charge you for something like that.
good luck

Back