Jimmy's 99 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jimmy's 99 Explorer XLT

My names Jimmy, and iv been a member on the forum for a couple years now. Well, after all the help the forum has given me, i decided to give back and finally become elite.

Now for a lil background on the truck: Its a 99, 4.0 SOHC, Automatic, with that crappy auto 4 wheel drive that i plan on ditching. I got the truck at the beginning of December 2009 as my first truck when i was 17... Needless to say i wasnt kind to it lol. I swamped it in the woods 4 days after i got it and killed the t-case, slid off the road in a snow storm and jacked up the front end a month later, and just beat this poor thing senselessly. I will say, it did make me a believer in the Explorers strength haha. But after about 15 months of ass whoopin, the timing chains were about to go, so it came off the road and i put my dodge on the road. The plan was to blow the X up in a burnout contest and scrap it since it needed alot of things fixed.
Fast foward to October 2011. Due to some events, i decided to drag the ol X from its resting spot on the side of the property and fix it back up. It sat in the driveway for lil while before i finally got started.

Plans:
-New motor
-Rebuild the front suspension usin all the HD parts (Gmanpaint's thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297369)
-Fix the trans (Valvebody and Solenoids, I Hope)
-Fix the Exhaust (Was bored one night and me and my buddies hacked from the muffler back off. If the thought ever crosses your mind, think about how much fun it is to worry about loud exhaust tickets every single time you go out somewhere... Or not bein able to have much of a normal conversation with passengers lol. And Cherry Bomb Extremes dont do much in terms of making it quiet :D)
-PA-883 3" Body Lift
-TT/AAL
-33x12.50-15 ProComp A/Ts
-Cragar D Windows
-Regear and add a rear locker
-Borg Warner 1354 Manual Shift T-Case
-Roof Rack (with lights)
-Tire Carrier (Jerry can mount, high lift mount, backup lights)
-Some sort of sweet front bumper (Winch, shackle mounts)
-Sound system (Just a HU, new door speakers and the cheapo 12s i have)
(I'll add more later)

Sometime in the future:
-V8 Swap (I hate the OHC motor, so after its replaced, whenever the chains go again, itll get a stroked 5.0)
-

And that brings me to now. Currently the trucks sittin with no motor. Between work, college, and havin to deal with my daily driver, i havent been able to make much progress on the X. I finally just built a new motor for my Dodge so i dont have to deal with the junkyard motor anymore, so now i should finally be able to get the ball rollin and get the X back on the road. Im hoping to have it back on the road by July, but well see how that goes lol. My plan is to just do whats needed and worry about everything else afters its moving again

I am going to be keeping track of the costs of everything as i purchase parts and what not, so if your curious on the costs of a particular part just ask
Currently im about $650 bucks in. Im working on selling the timing kit cause i dont need it anymore. The tires still have plenty of life on em, and came with 5 matching rims, the rims arent going to work so ill be able to sell em and pick up the cragars i want.
Timing Chain Kit: $400
5- 33x12.5s with rims: $250

I dont have any current plans to turn this into some crazy off road rig, more just a good reliable daily driver/occasional wheeling rig. I do plan one day to get farther out west and down south to hit some differnt off road parks since jersey has no real legal places to go. I will be posting pics and mini writeups in this registry as i go along, although most of what im doing has been done before on the forum and probably already has a writeup somewhere. This isnt the first vehicle i have worked on, and Iv done alot of reading on here over the years (i know how to work the search feature :D), so i have a good idea of what im doing when it comes to cars and trucks and the Explorer. But if anybody has suggestions to make something go easier or quicker im always open to suggestions.

Any other questions feel free to ask

And heres a couple pics of the old money pit from back in the day
The first was the day i picked it up.
The second was when i got it stuck in the woods... Yes, it was in New Jersey... In December... My temp gauge read something in the mid thirties when we first got stuck. Spent about 4 hours in there
The third was just a random pic after one of my many nights of hittin the woods with just two wheel drive and beatin on it

Attachments

• 1st Day.jpg
    1st Day.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Stuck 2.jpg
    Stuck 2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 498
  • A Lil Dirty.jpg
    A Lil Dirty.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 528

Back