"Jingly bell" sound from under tranny case. PLEASE HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Jingly bell" sound from under tranny case. PLEASE HELP!

torqlox

Reaction score
City, State
Cape Coral, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' Explorer XLS
So my 99' 4.0L SOHC started with this jingly bell sound coming from right under the rear of the engine/front of tranny about 2 weeks ago. I had my tech listen for it both in the engine bay and undercarriage and could not make out what it was. The truck seems to run fine except for an occasional check engine light throwing lean condition codes. I just commuted for 600 miles this weekend and nothing abnormal. Is there some sort of clip or bracket that goes loose on these trucks in that area? Please help out. I am hoping it's nothing coming from the crank case although it's loud enough to seem otherwise.

Thanks!
-JT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So my 99' 4.0L SOHC started with this jingly bell sound coming from right under the rear of the engine/front of tranny...

Thanks!
-JT

Did you look under the truck near the tranny to see if you ran over one of these
110_F_1879257_2KhM1OCz0fpq0fFpUIaluZsfpzeJbG.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist..

Check the sheet metal heat shield which is connected to the under side of the truck. It is above the exhaust. Check the exhaust for leaks, and loose sheet metal which covers the catalytic converter.

Did you look under the truck near the tranny to see if you ran over one of these
110_F_1879257_2KhM1OCz0fpq0fFpUIaluZsfpzeJbG.jpg

Sorry couldn't resist..

I love it that's great LMAO.

Also thanks Brooklyn Bay, I will check that out tonight...

theres a thick metal plate with clips on the ends it's a heat shield for the tranny near the cat check that it might be unclipped and just pinging if not and sounds internal check your trans fluid and if low or dark and dirty get the trans flushed and a new trans fluid filter thats what i did and it runs like a champ no trans noise and better shifting

theres a thick metal plate with clips on the ends it's a heat shield for the tranny near the cat check that it might be unclipped and just pinging if not and sounds internal check your trans fluid and if low or dark and dirty get the trans flushed and a new trans fluid filter thats what i did and it runs like a champ no trans noise and better shifting

Sweetness thanks for your time Blkdout!

I had a similar sound that turned out to be the thin heat shields on the exhaust pipes right about where they start to curve up in the tranny area. You have to grab it and see if the welds attaching it to the pipes are broke.

Back