JK Rubi D44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JK Rubi D44

If I was to have a D44 from an '07 JK available (like a brother-in-law going 1-tons), including all the steering components (pump, pitman arm, etc.), and bought the Clayton's long arm kit which includes a tranny crossmember for mounting the radius arms (assuming it will fit between the frame rails)...would I be on a good track for starting a solid axle swap? Any obvious problems I'm missing?

Of course, I have to figure out the frame widths of both the JK and my Sport Trac to see if the long arm kit could work at all. It's a bolt on to the JK and obviously not going to be so with the ST, but maybe with a lot of measuring and a little luck, it could work???? Link to the kit: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/15_130/products_id/360?osCsid=771450e8fa86d10e1394266558293e91

It's already geared 4.10, so I'd probably stick with that at least for a little while. I would hope to be able to keep ABS. Plus, it's obviously already locked. I would just need to lock the rear. I'd most likely stay with the 8.8 in the rear. I'll probably run 35s, so the 4.10s won't be too terrible. The top speed in my town is 45mph anyway. The Tahoe is our highway workhorse.

If I'm way off base here, let me know. I'm really green when it comes to this and still trying to figure out where I'm going with this. A solid axle is definitely in the plans, but when and how is still being worked out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost 30 views and not a single opinion...I know I'm crazy:crazy:; it won't hurt my feelings to say so. Gimme something here.:help:

Been in email conversation with my brother-in-law concerning this. Here's the latest thought process:

"My thoughts on setting up your suspension to mimic that of a JK would be the same reason I would have done that with a hummer project... Aftermarket support. New coil springs, shocks, control arms, axle brackets, gears, steering parts, lockers, ball joints, lockers, etc. would all be readily available for years to come if you managed to tear something up/off. Fact is, you can still buy suspension support parts from TJ's and some companies are still bringing out new products for the YJ's. That makes me think you'd be well supported for the JK lineup for a long time also. Outside of that, in a few years, junkyard JK parts will probably start getting more and more easily attainable as more soccer moms accidentally wreck their Jeeps and such."

Sounds like you have a good plan. Go make it work.

Ok, being a "Jeeper" for many years now, hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

First off, the JK Dana 44 axle is a 5 on 5 inch wheel bolt pattern. The TJ axle is the one you want (5 on 4.5) to match the Explorer 8.8 pattern. However, there is nothing wrong with this JK axle and in many ways is superior to the TJ axle. Whether it be spacers or redrilling the rear 8.8 pattern, the 5 on 5 pattern is fine.

The TJ axle is is 5/8 inch wider on each side (1.25 inches wider than the Ford Explorer). Not a big deal IMO.

As far as front long arm kits... I think that TnT Offroad, Clayton, and Rusty's could easily be 'adapted' to a Ford Explorer. For example, looking at TnT's 'bent arm' design, one could create a frame mount upper link, coilovers, etc., for the Explorer.

Personally, give a call to Bob at TnT Offroad (Cheyenne, WY) and see what they could come up with- whether pieces or a whole package.

I had a '99 Jeep TJ on 35s for years... I ran a Ford 8.8 rear in the TJ. If you are not afraid of a welder and torch, one could come up with quite a few different ways to run a SAS. The TJ front axle (Dana 30 or Dana 44) is a fine axle, but marginal without a few additions. For example, add a truss (to eliminate 'tube flex', over the axle trac bar, and go to a 1 ton "OTK" steering) make that axle much better. Regardless, I would not run bigger than 35s on the TJ front axle.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss more specifics.

Yes you're crazy, hell I'm crazy. Matter 'o fact I'm a certified crazy...

I have a CDL =

Certified Delusional Lunatic

Most people have issue's, I have the whole damn subscription.:wavey:

I would say do some more research about the conversion on other forums, there's build threads on the www.ranger-forums.com and on www.therangerstation.com

:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

The reason for the JK is because it's coming off of my brother-in-laws JK. Matching the bolt pattern on the rear is not much of a concern. I'd feel comfortable enough running an adapter to get the rear to 5x5.

I'm no pro at welding, but I have family with experience, have a welder and there's a good shop nearby for help (they've built a few buggies). I hope to be better by the time this gets going. First, it depends on how long it takes him to get his D60 and D70 built and under the Jeep. I'm in no rush, but I want to be ready when the time comes. He has the axles and is probably getting started in December.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss more specifics.

I may take you up on that. Thanks for the offer.

Thanks, Jerry. I hadn't been on those forums and don't recall seeing a JK D44 swap on this forum. I'll check it out.

It can definately be done. My 01 Explorer sport is driving proof. Be prepared to get creative. If you want, I'll post some pics. Just let me know.

Pictures would be great. Thanks.

BTW, being you're in Athens, have you seen the green slant-back hard top JK on H1 37s? That's my brother-in-law. How long have you been there, also? I used be able to be seen in my red '69 Cougar. Graduated in '08.

hey.. I know this thread is 2yrs old.. I'm about to embark on a SAS D44 conversion...

It's a 78 bronco and I wanna know if it's possible to change the knuckles for something newer in order to run ABS and keep a 5x5.5 bolt pattern to match the rear...

Si

Back