• Register Today It's free!

JLT Oil Separator - 2.3L

firestang70

Reaction score
City, State
Sardinia,OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
21 Explorer XLT
21 Explorer XLT 4wd. Forgot to post but had the vehicle 2 weeks. Last week added a JLT catch can on it. Install is not difficult watch the YouTube video on install.
This is a mod I recommend on any vehicle, especially a forced induction engine with direct injection. Factory setup allows oil vapors back through intake and engine. On other ecoboost vehicles I’ve owned at 5k oil change intervals I empty the catch can. I normally get 2-5 ounces of gunk. To me it’s good insurance for longevity and reliability.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

21 Explorer XLT 4wd. Forgot to post but had the vehicle 2 weeks. Last week added a JLT catch can on it. Install is not difficult watch the YouTube video on install.
This is a mod I recommend on any vehicle, especially a forced induction engine with direct injection. Factory setup allows oil vapors back through intake and engine. On other ecoboost vehicles I’ve owned at 5k oil change intervals I empty the catch can. I normally get 2-5 ounces of gunk. To me it’s good insurance for longevity and reliability.

Cool - take some pics in a few weeks and show us what and how much it can catch!

Your thread was moved to the modified section and merged with the current thread on this topic.

The oil separator works really well and pics of what it catches are posted in here.

Your thread was moved to the modified section and merged with the current thread on this topic.

The oil separator works really well and pics of what it catches are posted in here.
Not sure why it was moved? I have an XLT not an ST. I don’t think 2.3 owners will be looking here for information.

Not sure why it was moved? I have an XLT not an ST. I don’t think 2.3 owners will be looking here for information.

Because it is a modified part and you posted it in the Stock forum. Good point on the 2.3 as I didn't notice that. I'll move it to it's own thread in the modified section.

That was my explorer in the video, I happen to live close to their shop and gave them a call since they didn’t list the 2.3l before. Great people and a nice product. I have to remember to empty the can, only done it once so far and I know it is due.

That was my explorer in the video, I happen to live close to their shop and gave them a call since they didn’t list the 2.3l before. Great people and a nice product. I have to remember to empty the can, only done it once so far and I know it is due.
I’ve always ran their catch cans except my 19 Fiesta ST. They didn’t have a car to fit for it and I was too far away. I’m glad you were close enough.

Did my first oil change at 5k miles. Catch can was on for approximately 3500 miles. The can is 6 ounces, I had about 3 ounces in the can. That is about the same amount collected by my other Ford vehicles with the JLT catch can. I think it’s a must have for a DI turbo motor.

I keep forgetting to dump it out, been thinking it would be overfilled. Mine was about half so I guess it takes a while to fill up, I will have to write down my miles and set a reminder to check in a few months.

Considering adding a catch can to my 2020 XLT with the 2.3 liter. The arguments for it seem to make a lot of sense. Can’t see any reason why keeping blow-by oil from being deposited and carbonizing on the intake valves could be a bad thing. Or why that would cause the vehicle to violate any state’s emissions standards. Or why such a seemingly good and simple thing from an engineering standpoint isn’t OEM.

But I do wonder about the caveats I’ve seen that they void the warranty and, from at least one seller of the JLT version, being intended for track use only (like anyone races 2.3 liter Explorers 😄). Anyone here know the downsides of that particular mod?

The only downside is you have to empty the can .

I just purchased a 2021 Explorer XLT with 2.3l ecoboost and was hoping I could find information on UPC or RX oil separators on this forum.
Being a direct injection engine as the 2.3l is, there is no port injector to wash the back of the valve and port with gas which can cause a very definite carbon buildup. I used an RX system on my 2015 5.3l Silverado and also my 2010 Mini Cooper Clubman S, which was turbo and direct injection. The RX systems were very expensive, but on my Mini it helped go far beyond the recommended 60k mile service for blasting the intake with walnut shells. I think there has been some discussion on this is other forums. I was looking at the JLT system install on YouTube which only shows a two valve system and wondering if it had check one way check valves to work properly on a direct injection turbo engine.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I saw your XLT picture in the New Members Forum. :thumbsup:

Peter

I bought a Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L last week, already with 38k miles, is it advisable to put the catch can at this time? and what is the link of the catch can that works in the 2.3L engine?, since I read the entire post, and I can't find it, thank you very much in advance

I bought a Ford Explorer XLT 2.3L last week, already with 38k miles, is it advisable to put the catch can at this time? and what is the link of the catch can that works in the 2.3L engine?, since I read the entire post, and I can't find it, thank you very much in advance
Yes I would add one now. Here is the link Search Result

Back