JLT Oil Separator - ST | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JLT Oil Separator - ST

These catch cans aren't all that useful, it's solving a problem that has been blown out of proportion. On the older supercharger applications, it made sense because of how the PCV system was designed allowing oil to cake up the intercoolers. But the stock EcoBoost V6 valve covers have a built-in oil separator at the PCV valve area and are very effective. When I ran a JLT on my SHO and Fusion Sport (2.7 is basically the same as the 3.0), all it caught was vapor/fumes - almost zero drops of engine oil. This stuff will burn/combust very easily and is piped directly into the intake manifold.
My girlfriend's Malibu 2.0 GTDI (LTG engine, basically same as EcoBoost) ingests like 2-3 qt of oil every 7500 miles and has over 93,000 miles. It holds boost just fine, no issues with intake valve crudding or intercooler problems.

All Ecoboost engines ingest a lot of oil as I own 5 different ecoboost vehicles and they all collect a 1-5 ounces of oil between oil changes. The catch can you are referring to that did not have oil in it is called a pull through catch can and two small ports side by side and generally it lets most of the oil right through it and continue through the PCV system. The system is not a good gauge for seeing how much oil gets sucked through your PCV system. I have numerous 2020 ST's that are already catching oil that would otherwise be in the intake. The ecoboost engine ingests a lot of oil and the problem is detonation and overall performance suffers. We deal with thousands of ecoboost owners and they all benefit from a correctly designed internal diffuser system made to coalesce oil and not just a through a simple body with an in and out.

Ford's built in oil separator is a joke and its no better than the actual plastic oil separators that Ford makes as I have tested them all. They all do a very sad job at controlling oil ingestion. The F150 suffer the most all the way up to the most current engines. Everyone reads that Ford improved their design and nothing ever changed as the problem is having an internal oil separator is no good because it stays too hot and it's in the actual vacuum chamber of the engine and the oil-vapor can never coalesce or drop out of suspension because of the excessive airspeed.

The reason for an external mount catch can is to allow the vapors and gases time to cool and the oil to fall out of suspension and then when it enters the catch can it must contain different chambers and coalescing filters in it to allow force the oil to separate. Also, the reason for a Dual Valve VS. a Single Valve Catch Can is so that when the engine goes into boost the intake cannot flood the crankcase with all the boost from thee turbo. The Dual Valve closes the primary vacuum at the intake and then opens the secondary vacuum source from the turbo inlet so the PCV system will still function at it's fullest potential.

I can assure you when using properly designed catch cans the benefits are well worth it from the crisp throttle response to increased mpg and pulling power. I'm not here to flame anyone and just share the facts from dealing with thousands of ecoboost and 5.0 engines everyday. (Most importantly any oil that enters the combustion chamber will burn easily. It's just at what expense? It will reduce your octane as oil cannot handle the same cylinder pressure as gasoline and will fire earlier causing detonation. What I mean by earlier is on the upstroke the piston will be able to compress gasoline much further before it fires and thus will make more power and all the oil is doing is firing early and ruining the cycle for the gas to fire as it will fire after the oil and that is what causes detonation.)

So all this is doing is giving away power and your vehicle will not run as clean and smooth as it should. (This goes for turbos, superchargers and even normally aspirated engines.)

Hope this helps, Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Ecoboost engines ingest a lot of oil as I own 5 different ecoboost vehicles and they all collect a 1-5 ounces of oil between oil changes. The catch can you are referring to that did not have oil in it is called a pull through catch can and two small ports side by side and generally it lets most of the oil right through it and continue through the PCV system. The system is not a good gauge for seeing how much oil gets sucked through your PCV system. I have numerous 2020 ST's that are already catching oil that would otherwise be in the intake. The ecoboost engine ingests a lot of oil and the problem is detonation and overall performance suffers. We deal with thousands of ecoboost owners and they all benefit from a correctly designed internal diffuser system made to coalesce oil and not just a through a simple body with an in and out.

Ford's built in oil separator is a joke and its no better than the actual plastic oil separators that Ford makes as I have tested them all. They all do a very sad job at controlling oil ingestion. The F150 suffer the most all the way up to the most current engines. Everyone reads that Ford improved their design and nothing ever changed as the problem is having an internal oil separator is no good because it stays too hot and it's in the actual vacuum chamber of the engine and the oil-vapor can never coalesce or drop out of suspension because of the excessive airspeed.

The reason for an external mount catch can is to allow the vapors and gases time to cool and the oil to fall out of suspension and then when it enters the catch can it must contain different chambers and coalescing filters in it to allow force the oil to separate. Also, the reason for a Dual Valve VS. a Single Valve Catch Can is so that when the engine goes into boost the intake cannot flood the crankcase with all the boost from thee turbo. The Dual Valve closes the primary vacuum at the intake and then opens the secondary vacuum source from the turbo inlet so the PCV system will still function at it's fullest potential.

I can assure you when using properly designed catch cans the benefits are well worth it from the crisp throttle response to increased mpg and pulling power. I'm not here to flame anyone and just share the facts from dealing with thousands of ecoboost and 5.0 engines everyday. (Most importantly any oil that enters the combustion chamber will burn easily. It's just at what expense? It will reduce your octane as oil cannot handle the same cylinder pressure as gasoline and will fire earlier causing detonation. What I mean by earlier is on the upstroke the piston will be able to compress gasoline much further before it fires and thus will make more power and all the oil is doing is firing early and ruining the cycle for the gas to fire as it will fire after the oil and that is what causes detonation.)

So all this is doing is giving away power and your vehicle will not run as clean and smooth as it should. (This goes for turbos, superchargers and even normally aspirated engines.)

Hope this helps, Joe
Joe,
Do you own or work for UPR?

Joe,
Joe,

Yes, I'm the owner and guy who tests and develops the majority of what we offer. I just wanted to share the real
world findings and PCV function to help educate anyone that does not have a good grasp on how important the
PCV system really is. I'm continually working on fine tuning all our products as vehicles keep evolving I want
to make sure we keep everything matched properly and to maintain OEM look, fit, and finish while improving
the performance across the board.

I have an ST and and Sport they both ingest a decent amount of oil. But, the ST definitely seems to suck more oil
through the PCV at low RPM with the more responsive 3.0 engine. I have to say that I love how much much Ford
improved the ST over the Sport and really appreciate the major improvements to the drive-ability. I am also in the
middle of testing a new one-way breather that is patent pending as it will be a great innovation for performance.

I really enjoy building products and like sharing our findings with fellow enthusiasts. :)

Joe

Yes, I'm the owner and guy who tests and develops the majority of what we offer. I just wanted to share the real
world findings and PCV function to help educate anyone that does not have a good grasp on how important the
PCV system really is. I'm continually working on fine tuning all our products as vehicles keep evolving I want
to make sure we keep everything matched properly and to maintain OEM look, fit, and finish while improving
the performance across the board.

I have an ST and and Sport they both ingest a decent amount of oil. But, the ST definitely seems to suck more oil
through the PCV at low RPM with the more responsive 3.0 engine. I have to say that I love how much much Ford
improved the ST over the Sport and really appreciate the major improvements to the drive-ability. I am also in the
middle of testing a new one-way breather that is patent pending as it will be a great innovation for performance.

I really enjoy building products and like sharing our findings with fellow enthusiasts. :)

Joe
Thanks for the response and info.

May i ask anyone who has installed JLT oil separator in their 2020 Explorer to check and see if you find any oil being collected? I'm new to all these and this is my first ford so trying to figure out if I really need to install this or not.

May i ask anyone who has installed JLT oil separator in their 2020 Explorer to check and see if you find any oil being collected? I'm new to all these and this is my first ford so trying to figure out if I really need to install this or not.
Yes, I check mine every other week and I have oil in mine.

I don't know if anyone here has installed that brand or not. It doesn't seem familiar to me.

Peter
Thanks, @peter9

Reviews seemed mixed among other platforms...

Shot a note to Joe with a few questions. In the meantime, I was looking to see if there was any feedback from anyone here on this forum [ST/Aviator owners]

I am new to this device, the Platinum is the first explorer I have owned with Ecoboost. Is there anything here that will void the factory warranty?

Thanks for all of the information, I never knew there was this issue with Ecoboost engines.

TBill

I am new to this device, the Platinum is the first explorer I have owned with Ecoboost. Is there anything here that will void the factory warranty?

Thanks for all of the information, I never knew there was this issue with Ecoboost engines.

TBill

These aftermarket separators will void the warranty if the dealer sees it. Maybe some of them are more understanding, but honestly these systems can interfere with the normal PCV system if something goes wrong. You're basically injecting multiple potential failure points.

These aftermarket separators will void the warranty if the dealer sees it. Maybe some of them are more understanding, but honestly these systems can interfere with the normal PCV system if something goes wrong. You're basically injecting multiple potential failure points.
Well I think the Jury is still out on these seperators. To compare apple's and oranges the 4.6 in my Marauder sucked oil and JLT corrected the problem ,My 2018 Explorer Sport sucks a tiny amount and the JLT picks it up, and for some reason Mopar dealers sell the Catch cans over the counter for the Hemi's.You are correct about FoMoCo and their warranty void on this item. But what is a sportsman to do?

Sorry but Wrong. This is doing nothing different but trapping oil vapors. The lines are still connected and flowing the same exact way just with no oil vapor. There is nothing here that would cause issues with the engine.

And my warranty has not been voided.

Along with Mopar selling their catch cans over the counter, Ford Performance also has them for the Mustangs - nothing about them will void a warranty. As with anything aftermarket, if you break something on your vehicle and it's caused by an added part, or bad wrenching prowess, that's a different story.

If you are going to add one, the UPR kit is the way to go. Had a JLT version on my '03 Cobra very briefly, and it was worthless. Might as well just use an air compressor air/water separator and fabricate a DIY kit if you're thinking of buying that one.

I really wish people would educate themselves on warranties and the Magnuson Moss Act.

I have the UPR catch can. It is a very nice quality unit and I have had many types and brand over the years. I like this one and the JLT. I catch oil between oil changes and it seems to be well thought out. If you have the financial ability to purchase a UPR than get one. If you don’t have the extra cash on hand the JLT is a nice unit. Just my thoughts.

Also on a side note about warranty and aftermarket parts. The relationship you carry with your dealership and service department is crucial. I actually do all my own maintenance at home and I am fortunate enough to have a lift and the tools to do so. But one would think because I don’t bring my vehicle in for ford to glance over every now and then they wouldn’t cover failures but they do because I have a good relationship with the service guys. It is amazing how much a simple smile and “how are you guys doing today” makes a difference. I had a supercharged 2015 mustang GT that everyone on the forum would probably agree would void every powertrain warranty. It was a Whipple unit making over 800hp to the wheels and running on e85. The list goes on with oil pump gears and fuel pumps. I blew that transmission to the moon on a launch at a strip in ga and had it towed back to the dealership. A smile here and a laugh there and would you know.... They put in a BRAND NEW transmission. Now before everyone gets in a hissy over this and that.... I know it shouldn’t have been done and the drag radials made the service manager laugh but it’s all about how you treat people sometimes. I was ready to purchase a new transmission that was built up to spec but the service guys said we will give it a try and see what ford says. Long story to say you never know. Ford is in the business to keep repeat customers and although I am not a die hard ford fan I do respect the company.

If I get turned down for warranty work tomorrow because of an oil separator then I will make a short phone call to fords customer service line and explain my situation and go from there. But... I will do it politely and with respect as I would expect the same from anyone talking to me.

Just my .2 cents and rant for the day lol. Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.

Robert

so just updating this thread. Roughly 5,000 miles since installed and decided to empty it. Here is what was in it.

20200626_145311.jpg
20200626_144743.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was that even worth it?

That’s subjective. If it’s not worth it to you...don’t buy one. I run catch cans on all my vehicles. Catching some is better than catching none.

Back