JLT Oil Separator - ST | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JLT Oil Separator - ST

Was that even worth it?

The short answer is yes any oil trapped is improving combustion efficiency. The thing we see most is that the smaller catch cans with honeycomb filters and small inline filters are all very prone to allowing as much oil get through as they collect making them about 50% efficiency rate on the high side. The next step is to look in the exit line and still, you can see how much oil gets through into the intake tract and is doing a so so job at best.

That is the reason UPR has such complex internal diffuser systems and multiple patents on the technology as it is not cheap nor is it just install a simple screen and some honeycomb material. We have run many of the smaller competitor catch cans in series before our catch can and capture about the same amount of oil as the smaller pre-can that is allowing oil through it.

The problem is exactly the same with the poor performing catch cans with one serious condition all Ecoboost engines suffer from. LSPI and that is Low-Speed Pre-Ignition which is the most common thing with small turbocharged engines. That is when the engine gets a small mist of oil in the vapor form in the fuel mixture and it causes the engine to fire early and light pre-ignition that slowly wears away at the internals and rings and in some cases it even chews into the ring landings.

Because of the higher demand on the Ecoboost engine and increased cylinder pressure from LSPI will be the biggest thing you can eliminate with a properly designed and effective catch can. Normally it is inaudible to the human ear and knock sensors barely pick it up. Anyone running low or mid-grade gas will absolutely fall victim to this phenomenon. I am only mentioning this as I have seen this on most of the Ecoboost mustangs and they are much lighter with less load and they suffer from this at the bone stock level.

The most important thing is to get a sufficient sized catch can with a good internal diffuser system and not one that has the in and our ports side by side. Then look into a good synthetic that will not combust in the cylinder and create higher cylinder pressure. Mobil One is the most readily available and usually the cheapest oil that will not combust in the cylinder and for the enthusiast, you will want a Torco or Royal Purple or better. I have shared real results with many of our customers that have switched from the smaller catch cans and experienced the benefits in the first few weeks of driving.

They report back improved MPG and even better they can drive, play, and tow with hotter tunes than before.

No matter what you do get a properly designed catch can in place and your vehicle benefit.

Have a great weekend, Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good afternoon all,

I didn't want to start a new thread and thought that there was a good chance some of you may have an answer for me. My question is in regards to the Dirty Side PCV connection… I emptied my catch can the other night and when looking to make sure all the connections were good and nothing was loose, I observed that the Dirty Side PCV connection had oil residue on it (looks like it has been sweating). All the other connections looked good except for that one.

Is this something normal? or could it be a defect in the connection at that end of the 35 inch hose? If this makes any difference, I have the 2 UPR Billet Pro Series Check Valves.

Thanks

IMG_0349.JPG

Some weepage is OK but it sounds like something is seeping through the seals.

BTW the 2.7 and 3.0 EcoBoost motors have oil separators built into the valve covers for both the PCV side and the cleanside. If you look closely at how the valve covers are formed, the connections at the valve covers go into a series of channels/voids that helps separate the heavier oils. Most of the time the stuff that collects is condensed vapors from hot/cold changes in temperature. My 3.5L EcoBoost in the SHO had a separator for the PCV from the factory, and the only thing the JLT collected was volatile vapors and water during the winter and not a single drop of oil.

I drilled a weep hole in the intercooler for my 2.7 EcoBoost and some oil comes out of it. That's usually from the turbochargers themselves, and no catch can will catch that.

Some weepage is OK but it sounds like something is seeping through the seals.

BTW the 2.7 and 3.0 EcoBoost motors have oil separators built into the valve covers for both the PCV side and the cleanside. If you look closely at how the valve covers are formed, the connections at the valve covers go into a series of channels/voids that helps separate the heavier oils. Most of the time the stuff that collects is condensed vapors from hot/cold changes in temperature. My 3.5L EcoBoost in the SHO had a separator for the PCV from the factory, and the only thing the JLT collected was volatile vapors and water during the winter and not a single drop of oil.

I drilled a weep hole in the intercooler for my 2.7 EcoBoost and some oil comes out of it. That's usually from the turbochargers themselves, and no catch can will catch that.
That's what I was thinking too. Question is, seeping through the PCV or the UPR hose... I'll keep an eye on the connector

Good afternoon all,

I didn't want to start a new thread and thought that there was a good chance some of you may have an answer for me. My question is in regards to the Dirty Side PCV connection… I emptied my catch can the other night and when looking to make sure all the connections were good and nothing was loose, I observed that the Dirty Side PCV connection had oil residue on it (looks like it has been sweating). All the other connections looked good except for that one.

Is this something normal? or could it be a defect in the connection at that end of the 35 inch hose? If this makes any difference, I have the 2 UPR Billet Pro Series Check Valves.

Thanks

View attachment 325028
Sorry for the late reply, I just wanted to make sure the check valves are facing away from the catch can towards the engine and that you do not have the line with the check valve connected to the PCV. As that is very uncommon to see any type of collection of dirt where the fitting has a bit of oil on it. We offer custom sized hose ends as you can see that unit has a two stripe hose end and we offer hose ends for $9.99 and if you already own one of our kits you can get a tighter three stripe for $4.99 us anytime. Also, you can remove the fitting and trim an inch of hose off and then reinstall the fitting to get a fresh clean bite. As long as you have the ability to pull the hose an inch closer and trim it you can adjust it very easy.

Hope this made it easy for you to adjust or figure out, Joe

Back