Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thankfully, $4.00+gas means it won't have to be out of the garage anyway. :D

Lets go lease a couple new Fiestas :D

fiesta4DRand5DR.jpg

10 gallon tank, over 400 miles, 40$ to fill it gets us more than the 80 we put in our Expo's :(

That's what the free Camry is for- 37 on the highway works for me... :)
Besides- I think the new Focus looks a lot better than the Fiesta. The look of the Fiesta is not growing on me at all, especially the back of the trunk'd sedan. Ack.

tirekicker.blogspot.com2011fordfiestarear34.jpg

I don't have an extra hitch, but if I can fit the bent style HH I will, I'll let you know...

Ok, so I did the first step of the DA MF system last night. All I can say is- Wow. For real.

I don't know of any reason that I wouldn't abandon using rotary buffers and woolies unless it's an insane project. This stuff is that good, and that easy. I worked in 2' x 2' sections, with 3-4 moderate pressure passes, then 3-4 light pressure passes, then buff off. Took about 1 minute per section of work time. Do not overuse the compound. I took a bit of a learning curve, after priming the pad, this is all the product I was using on a 2' x 2' section. Beyond that, the pad saturates.

I can't say enough about this product. I know it's been in development for about 6 years, and it's a true game changer, since it brings absolute professional results into reach for anyone. It's awesome.

The scary thing is that I haven't even done step 2 yet, which is the polish- you know, because it's not shiny enough yet? lol!

pc7424.gif

So which buffer are you using to apply this new product? A rotary or a DA? Which brand buffer do you use?

DA- I have a Meguiar's G100, which is pretty much the same thing as the Porter Cable 7335.

I am no longer actively using a rotary unless I get a really, really hit paint surface that needs major compounding work. The MF DA system is that good...

Appreciate the info...

I was thinking of retiring the rotary I use and hooking up with a DA; just didn't know what people are using today...Seems the Meguiar G110 is really popular right now...I too have seen the new chemicals they came out with and I was also looking at the Porter Cable buffers...I have used PC equipment for years and like the info you gave me on their DA buffer...

Have you ever done a white Explorer? I have never done a white vehicle[ever] and I think that is why I haven't touched mine with a buffer yet and it's time to try out the new MF correction and polish on the Sport...

It looks clean and all but up close and personal it needs a really thorough claying and buffing out...I know parts of the truck have been repainted but my fear of damage might lessen with a DA instead of my rotary...

BTW I have used some of your tips on cleaning the truck inside and out and it is coming along just fine...Thanks again...

Have you ever done a white Explorer? I have never done a white vehicle[ever] and I think that is why I haven't touched mine with a buffer yet and it's time to try out the new MF correction and polish on the Sport...

It looks clean and all but up close and personal it needs a really thorough claying and buffing out...I know parts of the truck have been repainted but my fear of damage might lessen with a DA instead of my rotary...

The biggest challenge to me on a white vehicle is getting the paint clean. I did my old '95 (Oxford White) two years ago, and it came out great. Mind you, this was with a DA, foam pads, and Meguiar's Ultimate Compound finished with Gold Class Carnauba. However, the new DA system would do the same thing, but much faster. Keep in mind that the DA system was formulated for factory applied paint, so I would probably just go with a DA, foam pad, and some Ultimate Compound. I wouldn't reef on it too much, since unless you have a thickness gauge, you really don't know how much clearcoat is on there, but a few applications should be fine. That's the system I used on the truck below...

This was the raildust on the back and rear 1/2 of the truck. top half was clayed, bottom half wasn't, this is before any compounds, this is just post wash and claybar, and why you should claybar before you wax... I ended up popping off the emblem and replacing it as well.

IMG_2499.jpg

The issue is swirls- that's what stops reflection, which is what is here on the before shot (this was the hood):

IMG_2472.jpg

Same spot, after correction:

IMG_2473.jpg

This is in the garage, shows just how much white paint can "pop" when finished well.

IMG_2491.jpg

Came out exceptionally well...

IMG_2462.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2536.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

How did I miss these gems? My "spies" are no doing their jobs! :rolleyes:

You need to stop watching Golden Girls and get on the forum, Gramps... Nothing beats a good mentor... :p:

Forgot to ask; what exactly are you trying to clean thats "over 30 years old"?

Nah- been trying to clean for over 30 years... I've been detailing trucks that are supposed to be dirty... since I've been 8 years old. :D

looks good Joe,

hey having a deep wedgewood blue Explorer must do something to you ?
i spent a pile of time on the weekend detailing some of my new one, i went all joe dirt on it even doing the door jambs and inside the hatch .

it looked very nice when i was done, open the door and it looked really clean,,

I didn't much care for the DWB when I bought Wedgie, but after a bit it started to grow. Now after detailing this one out, I love it. I think it's awesome.

Glad you did the jambs. Believe it or not, I haven't done mine yet- or the hatch. I still haven't been able to hand wash here, so I haven't done them yet. In the next few weeks I'll have to get on the horse. It's parked in the garage right now anyway saving up some gas. :)

Decided to get a nice flex shot today...

IMG01851-20110504-1218b.jpg

Nobody tops that pic.

Ever.

:D

:notworthy

Hahahahahahahaha Awesome:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Untoppaball

I'll top it- I'll go for no jack, wheel-on-soccerball. If it blows up the ball, that's just a better picture. :D

That'd make a wicked good GIF mate:thumbsup:

That picture is epic!

Back