Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

these are of the interior painted black and the herculined floor

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

just a pic of the outside before the project begins and the dana 44 and ford 9inch

44and9.jpg

dana44.jpg

91.jpg

The outside looks really good from that angle. The inside looks much better now. It seems like a good find. Good luck on the build up.

Those 4 door, M5OD Explorers are a rare find, especially with 4 wheel drive, and even more especially with a manual transfer case.

Have fun with the project. Good base to start with.

Subscribing. It's going to be a very cheaply(in money, not quality ;)) built rig when you're done, but it sure will perform awesome. Can't wait to see the buildup...mainly of the axle swap so I can steal some more people's ideas as I build mine. :D :thumbsup:

Awesome Joe, looks like fun. Can't wait to see more of the build up. Subscribing.

Took the 9" apart and blasted it to get the 30 years of crap off it. Sprayed some primer to keep it from rusting. still haven't decide how to paint it yet. The plans for the d44 and 9" i think are goin to be complete rebuilds, 4.88 gears, lockers(haven't decided which yet) 38's or 37's probibaly 38's(can get a cheap set here soon). I will' be saving most of my money by doin all the work myself or with the help from some of my coworkers.

Well after searching the internet I decided to go disc brakes on the 9". Found some sites that offer a bolt on swap but i didn't like the price. Searched some more a found some things on how to do it yourself. So after an 1 hour trip to the junk yard I got my caliper brackets for the swap for 10 bucks for the pair. They are off of a 78 Mercury Mark V. It was equiped with a 9" and disc brakes. The bracket are on the axle shaft behind the seal, wheel bearing and collar. So if you ever had to swap an axle on the trail you would have to press off the bearings and crap. So I am going to modify them so that they can slide off the axle without taking all the bearings off. I'll probibaly be running the calipers for the same year. I want new ones. They are also equipped with a parking brake setup. then i need to hunt down some rotors that will work. wont be to hard with the amount of rotors we have in stock at my work. Here are a few pics of the brackets on and off the axle housing. I'll have more after i modify them.

9disc 1.jpg

9disc3.jpg

9disc2.jpg

looks really nice, man. how did you go about painting the interior? specifically the carpet, and did you take the dash out to do that?

Sweet project!!! Definitely subscribing.

Signing up.

And just how did you find a dana 44 AND 9 inch for $150?????

Looks nice Joe- glad you are back in the game. I used to see your Dakota around town pretty often. I have a ton of parts if you need some. PM me what you need.

Kirby

The carpet was removed so there is no more carpet, and for the dash i painted it before i put it in. The d44 and 9" i found in one of those little free post its at the grocery store. Said he was parting out his ford, So I called and got lucky. Found my calipers and such i needed for the rear discs so i'll be getting those soon. more updates to come.

Here are some other pics. I was bored today so I did this.
here are some before pics

top1.jpg

top2.jpg

here are the afters. Man did I get some wierd looks from the neighbors while doin this. I have a plan for the rear. I'll post pics if I go through with it.

off1.jpg

off2.jpg

Looks really cool without the back on. It might look pretty cool with one of those light bar things that goes in the bed of the trucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

weird looks from the neighbors is half the fun.
The house I just moved into, well I have gotten that "there goes the neighborhood" look a few times now... hahaha

Back