Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe93's 91 build up( d44 & 9inch swap, roll cage and more)

Well I purchased 91 explorer 4x4, 4 door, 5speed from a coworker for 100 dollars. It had an electrical fire inside. So the whole inside was pretty much trashed. I got it with the plan to build it into a weekend warrior. The plans include Herculined interior, roll cage, full width dana 44 and 9 inch swap, custom bumpers, onboard air, rebuild motor, trans and some other things. This project will take me awhile. I want to take my time and do it right the first time. Everything i wanted to do to my 93 will be done to this 91. So it make take some time to see any major changes but I will update as offten as I can. I would also like to hear some of your ideas if you have any. I will be making a list of things that i have done and how much the cost me. I want to keep the cost down as much as possible. Pics will also be added as i go along.

Things Done So Far
91 Explorer- 100 dollars
Rewired and replaced dash.- 40 dollars from the junk yard.
Painted interior and leftover interior panels flat black- 20 dollars
Herculined the floor- 40 dollars
Dana 44 and Ford 9 inch- 150 dollars
Disc brake caliper brackets off a 78 mercury - 10 dollars
Chopped the top- Free
Upgraded the front seat from a 99 eddie bauer- 20 bucks

These pics are the old dash

dash2.jpg

dash4.jpg

dash3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe,

My phone took a dive and no longer works! I can't get to your number anymore. Could you PM it to me? I can come by late this week. Also, I found a great guy to do the steering links.

Kirby

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

well with the help of Kirby and perfect timing. I now have another d44 housing. Its a 77 HP dana 44 from a F150. Not much rust once i had it cleaned up. Gears are also in good shape. I have been looking for one of these forever but they are hard to come by. It has the weld on c wedges so i no longer need to space out the buckets and radius ar mounts. Also has the 1/2" axle tubes. Kinda sucks that i have to go and redue the front suspension set up but i think it will be a much better final product when done.

IM000428.jpg

thats a great axle!!

You have been busy!

Kirby N. said:
You have been busy!

I know. I work harder on my days off then i do at work. Now i have another 9 inch rearend to work on. more stuff to do. :D

Well the time has come to call it quits on this explorer :( But its time to start another project :D I picked up an 87 bronco II last week for 150 bucks needs a clutch and the body is a little rough. So i was going to fix it but i got to thinking and would prefer a shorter wheelbase rig. So here is the new plan Take everything off the explorer and put it on the BII. 4.0 swap, trans swap, transfer case swap, D44 and 9 inch and the dash and seats. there are things i wish i would have done different on the explorer that i will do to this.

Bro!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wha????

jsut FYI when I wheel with solid axle sports, I wish I had the wheel base of a sport and not a BII.
The BII wheels like a SOB, but the sport is well, better IMO.

But BII's are cooler :) hahaha plus I dont have a solid axle (not yet!) when I do then maybe I will change my mind...

i would prefer a sport but this is what i have. The stock BII wheelbase is about 94" and the sport is about 101 inches. Also the Early broncos are about 92 inches. They all do well offroad so i think i will be ok. Plus with the 44 swap i plan on moving the front axle forward some to lengthen the wheelbase some.

I like my wheel base pretty well. I stretched it 3.5". I think I am going to move my rear axle back 2-3 inches too though. Joe you are a madman

anything off the sploder you might need before it goes to the crusher?

Windsheild? Do you know how to work on A/C?

the windsheild is brand spankin new never been on the road. not even out of the driveway. We could work something out. What you need done on the A/C? oh and here is a link to the new project

87 BRONCO II BUILD UP

What are you doing with the windows?

I think you would be much happier with the four door in the long run, but, it is your project.

i cant imagine having a wheel base of that of a b2. my ranger is currently shooting for 127 after my front 3 link is done.

redranger4.0 said:
i cant imagine having a wheel base of that of a b2. my ranger is currently shooting for 127 after my front 3 link is done.
It depends on what type of wheeling you are doing. Im shooting for 100" on 36's, which is about perfect for anything. The stock old Bronco 93" with 35's was scarry on steep hills. But, the B2 like the EB can be extended. He's going fullwidth so i would assume he's bumping the wheelbase out.

like james t said i will be extending the wheel base when i swap in the dana 44. Trkmagik the windows are up for sale.

sn0border88 said:
canvas top as well? im intreested

Heck yes a canvas top. it will be better then the one for the explorer. Now that i have done one i would do a couple things different

haha, i meant is the one from your X for sale?

Back