johnny5_72's 89 Ranger Dana 30 SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

johnny5_72's 89 Ranger Dana 30 SAS

Here is the link to my car domain site.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2209152
It has been a long three year process reasearching, building, and collecting. I still have a few things to decide on like shocks and my explorer axle swap on the back. I am just ready to take er out and drive it. I will post more pics of the suspension and crossmember and hopefully some action shots later. I welcome all questions and comments. This site is awesome and it would have been alot harder to accomplish without it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a nice setup. I'm interested in some more pics of it and some action shots. ;) :thumbsup:

i like the truck...looks like a clean setup you got there...DO THE 5L SWAP...haha...also wanna see more pics of it and some in action when ya get it going...keep up the good work...

Thanks for the comments. I still need to work out the brakes. I've got the track bar bracket done. Details, details you know. I've got my sway bar dropped and relocated. Mainly brakes and shocks. I've got to flex er' out so I can figure out my lengths on the shocks. I will let you all know when I get some more pics posted.

The links in the front lok like a jeep setup. Did you adapt an aftermarket system or make your own? It seems like the upper links stick up pretty high. Have you noticed any problems with the up travel of the axle or does everything tuck in? Nice job.

Thanks for the comments guys.
Josh, I was working on the bumpstops today and and I had the tire stuffed up to the fender with no clearance issues at all with the brackets. The arms are all hand made by me. They mimic a Rubicon Express jeep long-arm setup with the exception that I used a johnny joint and a much larger thread at the frame end. :p I am a machinist so I can overkill it as I see fit. :D

Oh yea, well I am getting a welder one of these days. :p I'm tired of sitting on the fence while everyone else has all the fun. Good work by the way.

what did you do about driveshafts ? new u joint or what

Js91x: I did not have to do anything with the driveshafts yet. The front one bolted right up. The back I will be going with a late model ranger 1 piece driveshaft when i go to the ex disc brake rear. The u joint is the same from the cherokee axle to the ranger axle. The high pinion 30 helped out with the shaft angles as well.

nice lookin truck. i have just started bulding my d30. do you know if the ball jountsare the samt with all the jeep d30's?

Ranger update

Update: I got my explorer axle swap and my 1 piece late model rear drive shaft completed a few weeks ago. I got a pretty good deal on a 97' 4.10 non lock with 44k miles for $375 from a boneyard in Illinois. I also picked up a 99 ranger s/c drive shaft for $50 from a boneyard right here in K.C. I will post some pics on car domain as soon as I can take them. I have been driving it everyday to work for the last week and a half. About 75 miles round trip. Hope to get some action shots before long. :rolleyes: I also installed 88-? chevy fullsize Belltech drop shackles to even out the height in the back instead of stacking blocks and to help with the spring flex. Peace out.

Sounds good. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

new pics

I posted some new pics on my car-domain site. New pics of suspension, brackets, crossmember, and axles. Here is the link again. I know some of you wanted to see some more pics of the suspension. C-ya.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2209152

Looks really good!

The only thing I see as being a potential problem is the tranny x-member. Not sure it's solid enough to take much abuse.

Keep up the fine work!

i just saw your truck....i like it a lot. Very nice, looks factory (good thing). Keep it up.

Trust me Zainy, that crossmember is going no where. ;) I've ran it for 2 years now before the Sas. That the was 1st thing that I put was the cross member and the frame brackets. It is made out of 1.25 dia .25 wall dom with .25 thick cold rolled plate at the ends and on the tranny mount. All of it was tig welded for strength as was everything else that the front end rides on. :D No way I'd put my kid in it with me if I didn't trust all of it. c-ya. Thanks for the comps.

Awesome. Looks really well built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have any more pics of that modded coil bucket? I am thinking of swapping to coils here soon and like how you did it.

Back