Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Jon,

it is great to see the topless wonder at work, nice rig, and congrats on getting it all working, and not giving up on it,, feels good i bet ?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes Pete it does

In fact, I just took my lovely bride out to dinner in it.

Yup, we went to Pizza hut and made up 2 LARGE 2 go salads, because nothing is to good for her. Small to go salad--meh

small salad would just not be good enough, , had to get the LARGE, , i know how it is, treating her special is a good thing though just like your Explorer , he he heeeee

Yes Pete it does

In fact, I just took my lovely bride out to dinner in it.

Yup, we went to Pizza hut and made up 2 LARGE 2 go salads, because nothing is to good for her. Small to go salad--meh

What's that, here they have a new special now. $10 gets you any size and up to nine toppings. I still can't get them to put enough cheese on though.

i know how it is, treating her special is a good thing though just like your Explorer , he he heeeee

i think sheri has to get on the appointment list when it comes to the explorer :p:

Dam jon I don't know if I would drive that thing with the -10 were supposed toget tonight.

My dads allways going on about this guy he new who frostbit his face just a little from wind and killed the nerve that controls the whole side of his face. Looks like a stroke.

OK, this post is to ask for answers. I have discussed these things with 88comingup already, but forgot most of the info. I just want to have it here so I can read it as I need it please.

Ok, doing something about it is the mission----

Looking at sparksaflyin's front steering. ( FROADER's truck for those of you in the know)

11-17-09006.jpg

Now. look at what I have

94explorer006.jpg

in the attached photo I have an arrow pointing to the drag link connection-

the whole drag link will rotate up and down before steering action starts-I will never be able to accept this. I would like to convert the whole setup to the type in the first picture.
I would also like to bring the steering link and trac bar more into line.

Please help me with the terminology.
AM I looking at a steering crossover? Can I just get some steel and make these things?

Would a drop pitman arm help also?

Attachments

• 93 front steering marked pivot point.jpg
    93 front steering marked pivot point.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,054

Your current steering link setup is whats called an "inverted T" - not to be confused with the "inverted Y" which the TTBs use (and must use in order to minimize toe-ing in when the suspension is compressed - or toe-ing out when the suspension is extended).

Froader's old setup is comprised of custom steering link. Its DOM tubes with "tube adapters" and "heim joints". The steering knuckles was probably drilled out to the next largest heim diameter.

However, converting to Froader's old setup without also changing the panhard angle is going to make the steering worse because it will make the steering link less parallel with the panhard - which results in more bump steer. So when you convert to Froader's old setup, you will make the steering link more horizontal - wich means you will also need to do the same to the panhard (by either raising the axle end of the panhard up, lowering the chassis end, or a combination of the two).

Your current steering link setup is whats called an "inverted T" - not to be confused with the "inverted Y" which the TTBs use (and must use in order to toe-ing out when the suspension is compressed - or toe-ing in when the suspension is extended).

Froader's old setup is comprised of custom steering link. Its DOM tubes with "tube adapters" and "heim joints". The steering knuckles was probably drilled out to the next largest heim diameter.

However, converting to this setup without also changing the panhard angle is going to make the steering worse because it will make the steering link further from parallel with the panhard.

OK
I meant to say " bring the steering link and panhard bar into line"

I am prepared to change these angles if that is what needs to be done. I understand for the best stability, the pnahrd and steering link should be as level and parrallel with each other as possible. Yes?

So, would a drop pitman arm help achieve this?

oh, also-

Something in the coil spring mounts and isolators is not right. I need coils spring bottom cups, and new rubber thingy on the top.

the pnahrd and steering link should be as level and parrallel with each other as possible. Yes?
Yep yep

So, would a drop pitman arm help achieve this?
Negativity - with your current inverted-T setup, a drop pitman arm will increase the angle difference between the steering link and the panhard - because the drop pitman arm will make the steering link more horizontal. ).

LOL, Heath sent me a link to this thread, how funny! Yeah I looked at buying that same Explorer probably 7 or 8 years ago, I remember it specifically because I got a damn parking ticket in the 10-15 minutes or so I was checking it out! At the time the Check Engine Light was on and he had no way of knowing what it was, plus the front wheels were leaning way in (looks like might've fixed that, awesome!) so I ultimately decided not to take it... I'm glad it ended up in your hands though!

0601060747.jpg

It worked for me, it was adjustable made of a old F150 track bar bracket on one end and a rear Jeep ZJ track bar on the other end. It put everything in line between my track bar and steering.

As for the knuckle, I think I drilled it out to just slightly above 3/4, used bolts, heims and a spacer between the tie rod and drag link

all the info here
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/3767/0601060747.jpg

0601060747.jpg

It worked for me, it was adjustable made of a old F150 track bar bracket on one end and a rear Jeep ZJ track bar on the other end. It put everything in line between my track bar and steering.

As for the knuckle, I think I drilled it out to just slightly above 3/4, used bolts, heims and a spacer between the tie rod and drag link

all the info here
http://www.explorerforum.com/photopost/data/3767/0601060747.jpg

Danny, the link is to the picture only--is there more info?

For building steering links and track bar you can also buy 1 1/4 DOM 3/8 wall, this will leave you with 1/2 id use 11/16 drill bit, drill it straight-thats hard part then 3/4 taps, did my setup like that no welding required, and 3/8 wall dom is some stout stuff.

If you can, try to raise the tracbar mount up on the axle tube instead of doing a drop mount at the frame.

Without going into a long winded explanation, you can build the mount off the axle alot stronger than you can build one down off the frame rail.

As for the TRE walking around, is it doing this because its worn out? Loose jambnut perhaps?

If you can, try to raise the tracbar mount up on the axle tube instead of doing a drop mount at the frame.
Which would also raise the front axle's roll center (closer to the CG of the vehicle) and less "tippy" when off-camber.

Back