Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your caster again once its all together. :)

Not saying your math is off as im sure its not, but it would be nice to get a finished reading to compare.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Droop, limited by shocks.

Any further down puts the double cardon in a bind--Why?

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0800.jpg

Ride height, weight is on the axle

IMG_0802.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0804.jpg

Caster angle fully assembled at ride height

IMG_0803.jpg

It drives a lot straighter with a lot less bump steer, and it doesn't chase bumps like it used to.

However it pulls to the right a tad. It used to pull to the last direction steered, so maybe an alignment will fix that-

Needs longer shocks. :D

For a trail rig/street driver i wouldnt worry so much about the driveline bind with the front fully drooped. As long as it doesnt bind with the driver's tire hanging and the passenger tire stuffed youre okay so long as you arent jumping it or hauling ass over some really rough stuff. The shaft wont have quite as much angle on it with the front articulated as it will fully drooped.

This is often the nature of low pinion front... you can either lower it, move the front forward, move the engine back, or not jump it. :p:

For peace of mind i would run a center mounted limit strap though- it would be cheap insurance.

Needs longer shocks. :D

Once I get the F250 shock mounts in I think a 19x33 shock will work.

I took the truck to a new fab shop in town-Tuesday they will be finishing up the roll cage shape in the rear, and doing some triangulation supports.

DSCF2391.jpg

You can barely see it in the top photo, but there is a center limiting strap in there which allows full articulation, but doesn't let the whole axle droop straight down so much. Having the body separate from the axle while climbing steep hills isn't good... It unloads the front end just when you need the weight on it for traction.

hydro1.jpg

Thanks Rick for the visual reference.

And now for another issue which I was planning for--gansta lean

I got it bad and now it is worse. I seem to have mixed up the front springs-and the rear leafs as we know are shot.

So, considering the fact I am fitting new, longer shocks, need new coil springs, and new upper shock mounts fabbed,,,,,

talk me out of going to coilovers instead of new spring and shocks with new mounts for them.

Made a road trip with Sparksaflyin and his son Joshua today. On the highway we saw this. We were being waved on by the police , sorry for the bad picture

IMG_0811.jpg

And considering the state of the union this picture seemed appropriate---

IMG_0814.jpg

Anyway-we ended up here

IMG_0817.jpg

And I got these

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Genuine Ford Springs--brand new

IMG_0822.jpg

And with a dog.... I didnt know LMC actually sold Ford product, thought it was all aftermarket.

And what is the burnt vehicle on the road? Looks expensive, I wonder if it was stolen/hot...

My guess is fiero because that's the only thing they are good at:D

I think the engine of that car is in the front, so that would rule out the fiero as they were mid engine cars. i'm going to say based on the web wheels, a crown vic/grand marquee/town car.

Those springs should last a little longer then the stock ones because less weight from less body. good choice.

Justin

the body is burned away so that says a front engine with flammable body panels,would suggest some kind of kit car, or a Corvete, but not a Fiero, ,:D:D

I'm saying the car was a Corvette. A metal bodied car would be charred. Not non existent.

hmmm seems Dan thought same as me,

And look at the times. To bad it doesn't break them down by seconds.

And great minds think alike :D

Hopefully it is not the Stang Jon was originally in, which would explain Jons unexplainable fact that he changed vehicles at some point midway thru his trip to LMC. Combine that with the fact LMC is selling OEM Ford parts, and the mysterious dog behind the wheel of the Vitamin D Wagon, and I think we have a cold case here. Not to mention the German made eagle with the Chinese made bean bag horse sitting precariously on top of it, travelling NE-ish hmmmmmmmm

OK so here is a crazy (probably stupid) noob question...

Looking at the geometry of your front suspension (I don't know the techie terms here so bare with me) you have a bar that basically mirrors your steering arm to maintain it's geometry and eliminate bump steer. OK I get that, all is fine..

However wouldn't that setup push the entire body to the left when the suspension is pushed down over bumps? This effect would be increased with more lift due to increased angles right? Is there something I am missing here? school me oh wise ones :D....

Hopefully it is not the Stang Jon was originally in, which would explain Jons unexplainable fact that he changed vehicles at some point midway thru his trip to LMC. Combine that with the fact LMC is selling OEM Ford parts, and the mysterious dog behind the wheel of the Vitamin D Wagon, and I think we have a cold case here. Not to mention the German made eagle with the Chinese made bean bag horse sitting precariously on top of it, travelling NE-ish hmmmmmmmm

That is not Jon's X in front of LMC. It's Mark's X and that is Mark driving.

Mark has a Camaro not a Mustang. I don't see the Explorer springs fitting in the Camaro trunk.

I'm just mad they never mentioned they were going to LMC. I would have met them there.

Heh Heh--this is why I am not in the FBI!!! Kind of missed the obvious, Marks X has rear glass....

Way off topic anyway-sorry Jon

Back