Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jon And Sheri's Vitamin D Wagon

As she sits now,
017.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

013.jpg

018.jpg

But it didn't start out like this.

We returned from our trip to Colorado Sept 2009 to find this waiting in the yard.

It needs a few little sumthuns--but it is a great start I do think.
Here is where we begin to take over the work started by trukmajik and dejello

94explorer001.jpg

94explorer003.jpg

94explorer002.jpg

94explorer004.jpg

94explorer007.jpg

94explorer006.jpg

94explorer005.jpg

9-11-2009092.jpg

9-11-2009090.jpg

updated pics ^^^^^how it was when I got it

Now here is how it looks as of 4-1-2010

got the wheels all shiny!

truck002.jpg

frostbite001.jpg

truck001.jpg

truck006.jpg

truck005.jpg

truck004.jpg

truck003.jpg

and as of 8-5-2010

IMG_1105.jpg

with swaybar^^^

without sway bar

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_1061.jpg

revised shock towers and more flex-Big thanks to Dkchrist for coming over to weld em in. I owe him big time!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

With a top

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1983.jpg

LED rock lights

IMG_1925.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok i checked the chart on the welder and used it's recommended settings for 1/8" using .035 wire, but I should have switched to .23 .

Oh well, at least I know how to use a grinder safely.

IMG_0955.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Then I turned up the heat and triple passed the tow hitch and thingys with the holes

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Lookin good - especially on the D-ring points!

Wait, is that flux core?

you've got what looks like holes in the welds.. that's porosity, and it's a bad thing.

I've always been taught weld uphill. You get good penetration that way.. Downhill doesn't give you the penetration.. Something about the heat of the metal.

~Mark

that's because the puddle will run into your arc area as your pulling the weld which will greatly effect the penetration. However if you are looking for a better looking non-structural weld it will be better to shoot the puddle up while you pull down. This works well on thinner plate or where you need to fill a vertical gap. Again only on non-structural connections...

Well, at least I know I was doing it the right way (weld Up), even if I didn't know why I was supposed to do it :)

Now Turdle needs to practice welding "up" :)

~Mark

Ok I do believe all the welding is complete. I did triple passes on all the bumper bracket and clevis tab joints on the inside. I got all the license plate and light holes drilled and the upper part has been smoothed. I just need to smooth the bumper now.

Looks like I might have this thing powder coated and installed tomorrow, which will be good. My lovely bride is tired of bumper building about now.

ok, frame brackets and clevis tab welds

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

receiver

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

I made a inside lip for a front trim and bracing

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

the ammo box tray

IMG_0967.jpg

And man do I love those flap discs.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

Wait, is that flux core?

you've got what looks like holes in the welds.. that's porosity, and it's a bad thing.

oops
sorry Tom, I missed the question. I am using c25 with 035 wire. I think it was just a little too hot, and lack of metal prep.

Dunno if you know about this or not, but that could be really bad news while welding. Check out the link

Common Cleaners Can Turn Into Poison Gas

If you did already know, my apologies, and perhaps someone else can learn from my link.

Bumper looks great though, what thickness are your brackets/shackle mounts? I've been meaning to make some myself, and I really like how yours turned out.

Dunno if you know about this or not, but that could be really bad news while welding. Check out the link

If you did already know, my apologies, and perhaps someone else can learn from my link.

Bumper looks great though, what thickness are your brackets/shackle mounts? I've been meaning to make some myself, and I really like how yours turned out.

Yeah, brake cleaner and heat = no good. I only used it to clean off the cutting oil from drilling the holes

The metal thickness for brackets and tabs is 1/2"

Yeah, brake cleaner and heat = no good. I only used it to clean off the cutting oil from drilling the holes
Maybe a safer option: rubbing alcohol (isopropyl). Plus it can be used to clean even the natural oils from your hands. It often comes in different percentages (like 70% or 90%) - get the highest percentage.

100px-Rubbing_alcohol.JPG

That looks great, a lot of time and work went into that.

BTW, since you have the receiver tube going out the back by a few inches, why not add bracing there? I'd make a brace on each side of the receiver shaped like a long triangle, going from the back edge of the receiver. Run the braces upward or downward to the top or bottom of the bumper, the middle isn't ideal for strength. Welded in that would strengthen the bumper for pushing and pulling forces. Just a thought before you finish and paint it.

I agree. Beef it out.

I think its fine - the reciever has been welded on both the front and the back side of the bumper - in order to pull out that reciever, you'd have to first shear off 8-9" of weld in compression, and another 8-9" of weld in tension.

Does that ***** have a top yet? :D

If that is the non-chlorinated stuff, it is not problem. Otherwise no way jose!

If that is the non-chlorinated stuff, it is not problem. Otherwise no way jose!
Its not... the green can is non- chlorinated and is fine for fab work... red can is instant death. :D

Back