• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Josh P's new 1994 Aerostar.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
come on josh.i need a 351 in my van...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
come on josh.i need a 351 in my van...:D
Move the gas pedal about 3 inches to the left, same with the brake pedal and widen the tunnel. It would slide right in.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
a 302 should be enough.or a 347 302 stroker....

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
How is this project coming along?
Not much to update on this project yet. I'm working on rebuilding the axle I pulled out of my other van. I'll do the same to the rear of this van and get some new springs. What makes it difficult is I can't pull the front subframe out with it sitting in my driveway for the long term work I need to do on it. City code enforcement would give me a citation. I may search for a 2wd subframe to set under the van so it looks complete while I work on it.

92exp4x4

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Covington, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XL 2-door and others
Not much to update on this project yet. I'm working on rebuilding the axle I pulled out of my other van. I'll do the same to the rear of this van and get some new springs. What makes it difficult is I can't pull the front subframe out with it sitting in my driveway for the long term work I need to do on it. City code enforcement would give me a citation. I may search for a 2wd subframe to set under the van so it looks complete while I work on it.
Sometimes it's such a PITA to be a car guy. I went through the same stuff at my last house. I understand the thoughts behind it, but it can be frustrating. I'm definitely gonna keep checking back on this project.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Sometimes it's such a PITA to be a car guy. I went through the same stuff at my last house. I understand the thoughts behind it, but it can be frustrating. I'm definitely gonna keep checking back on this project.
I get it too, no one wants to look at a car in pieces for months or longer. Since work has been slow for the last few weeks I have extended my driveway down the side of my house to the backyard. I still need a fence or gate on the side of the house so the vehicle can't be seen from the street once I roll it to the back. I've still got a couple projects ahead of this one, building a shed and replacing the roof on my house.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I got the parts off the silver van. The springs, brakes, etc were for this van, I had used them on the other van. I'm slowly rebuilding the 8.8 axle I am going to use. Once I get the axle complete and painted, I will post pictures. The only thing I'm missing is an engine.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
north carolina no longer requires inspections on cars older than 30 years so swapping in a bigger engine sounds very appealing.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
north carolina no longer requires inspections on cars older than 30 years so swapping in a bigger engine sounds very appealing.
I agree, I'm still gathering parts for this build. What engine would you swap into your van?

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
I agree, I'm still gathering parts for this build. What engine would you swap into your van?
gm lsi seem to be the preferred engine for swaps although oil pan clearance othen makes the decision for you.and width.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
gm lsi seem to be the preferred engine for swaps although oil pan clearance othen makes the decision for you.and width.
LS swaps are popular. A 302 would be easier.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
i glanced under the hood while doing my daily refilling the radiator.the 3.0 barely fits under there.i don't see how a v8 would fit without moving the firewall several inches.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
i glanced under the hood while doing my daily refilling the radiator.the 3.0 barely fits under there.i don't see how a v8 would fit without moving the firewall several inches.
im wondering how much wider a 4.0 sohc is than a 4.0 it might fit.55 more hp and might bolt in to the mounts and trans.wiring would be a problem.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
im wondering how much wider a 4.0 sohc is than a 4.0 it might fit.55 more hp and might bolt in to the mounts and trans.wiring would be a problem.
The 4.0 sohc is wider than a 5.0, more bolt ons, transmission choices and reliability with the V8.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
The 4.0 sohc is wider than a 5.0, more bolt ons, transmission choices and reliability with the V8.
i really like my aerostars and im hoping you will post a viable power source to keep them on the road.with lots of details.

zenish

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar xlt
my extended four liter van is now a five cylinder because of a broken lifter.im surprised of how much torque it still has.if it wasn't SUCH a bitch to work on id swap in a hotter cam and later closed chamber heads with dual exhaust with dual high flow cats.[my van is now inspection exempt].

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
my extended four liter van is now a five cylinder because of a broken lifter.im surprised of how much torque it still has.if it wasn't SUCH a bitch to work on id swap in a hotter cam and later closed chamber heads with dual exhaust with dual high flow cats.[my van is now inspection exempt].
Headers don't fit very well, I had to use a hammer to get enough clearance. I did like how it ran above 4k rpm. It was fun rowing through the gears bouncing off the rev limiter. If you were to swap engines, what would you choose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars