JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's D30 SFA by CRLCustoms.com

Well, i'm going to go ahead and start a thread so i can get some information and some more ideas from everyone on here. I bought a Dana 30 off of a wrecked 95 XJ. Paid $200 pulled off the truck for me. Not to bad. Ordered 4.56 gears for the 8.8 and D30 from Randys Ring and Pinion for about $450. I just picked up a Powertrax Lockrite for the D30 last week. I'm trying to install that right now, but it's going to be a pain. I had the gears in the D30 installed last week for $150. I couldn't believe that price! Mom and my brother went in and got me some diff. rock guards for Christmas from Ronscustomshop.bigstep.com. He cut them a deal for buying 2 at a time.

Here are a few pictures of what i've got so far. Please feel free to jump in and give me some advice. I'm not 100% sure what Cory has in mind. So Cory, you jump in and feel everyone, including me, in on what we are looking at here!

2287im000812.jpg

2287im000813.jpg

2287im000814.jpg

Happy trails!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pros - Zero bump steer! You won't feel the pain that you are putting your steering system through.

Cons - not street legal
- you break a hose and don't have spares, you are SOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't think they were street legal.

I used a Ranger steering box on mine and i don't even notice any bump steer. Mine seems to have worked out great on the steering.

From what i've heard that the steering is so sensitive that you wouldn't want to drive it on the road, is that right John?

hydro steering for power/control

OK, maybe not such a good idea for the daily driver/weekend warrior.

Josh- : what year ranger box did you use?

I'd say the rack and pinion steering in my IFS Explorer is more sensitive than Michael's full hydro.

I boo boo'd my ST this past weekend in Gilmer to where we had to tow it home on Michael's trailer and I drove Michael's X 200+ miles back to Houston.

The worst part of driving it is the 36" Bias Ply Super Swamper TSL's.

Once on the way home, the truck veered to the right without input from me. Michael thinks it might have been an air bubble in the system.

I wouldn't do full hydro steering for a daily driver, but it's great offroad.

Originally posted by Black Magic
Damn, that Explorer Looks Great! Very Tuff!
I get an uncontrollable drool everytime I look at the fabrication of his front end. And his tie rod is huge! :eek:

Re: hydro steering for power/control

Originally posted by DrKlawz
OK, maybe not such a good idea for the daily driver/weekend warrior.
I hear the hydro ram and parts can cost over $1200.
But, you could steer with one finger while crawling over rocks.

In my truck I've got to hold on for dear life sometimes just to hold a straight line.

Re: Re: hydro steering for power/control

Originally posted by Johnstone
In my truck I've got to hold on for dear life sometimes just to hold a straight line.

haha

Originally posted by Black Magic
Johnstone! You should be ashamed of yourself! :p
Don't hate the player, just hate the game. LOL

Hydro assist is street legal. I believe full hydro isn't street legal for two reasons:
1. DOT requires solid connections between the steering wheel and the tires.
2. Most full hydro rams do not have return to center. This is an optional valve but the industry is not standardized so DOT complaince would be difficult.

It's the same idea behind bead locks. Again, the industry is not standardized, therefor quality control and DOT requirements are up to interpretation.

I maybe slightly off track here so any corrections are encouraged. I think Rick was researching this a while back and I know CoryL has some good information on the steering systems as well.

I've seen Cory's setup. He locked his ARB in and i was able to turn the steering wheel with 1 finger with those 38.5" Swampers!:eek:

Steering setups...the explanation

1) Normal power steering with a steering box. Factory setup.

This is what I installed in Josh's rig. Uses a box from a ranger.

2) Hydro assist.

Two spots are tapped in the box. Lines are run to a ram. The fluid to the ram assists the manual linkage. Street legal because of the hard mount from pitman arm to tie-rod.

3) Full hydro.

No steering box. There is a hydrostatic steering unit that transfers the rotation of the steering shaft into fluid flow. Typically there is no return to center like there is in most steering systems.

To do a full hydro right, you need to start with the ram. The diameter of the shaft and stroke should be matched to the steering cycle and to what tire size you are running.

Then you will need an nice fluid cooler, just like you do for a tranny.

You will also need an aftermarket fluid reservoir to hold additional fluid. The system needs a lot and the more fluid you have the cooler you can keep it.

Then you need the steering unit itself. You need to figure out how many turns you want lock to lock of the steering wheel first. Then you need to convert that to a flow measurement based on the size of the ram. I have the equation somewhere.

It is not DOT approved because there is no mechanical linkage controlling the wheels.

The return to center aspect is a big one. You can get a unit that will return but it is around $500. Most non-RTC units are around $275. Driving a non-RTC on the road SUCKS. I've tested it in my neighborhood and it is not easy. I would not want to see it on the highway.

An assist or full hydro setup will not work easily on a TTB vehicle. Mainly used for solid axles or desert trucks with IFS suspensions and double throw rams.

A proper system installed runs about $1000. At least that is what I charge.

Originally posted by JoshC
I've seen Cory's setup. He locked his ARB in and i was able to turn the steering wheel with 1 finger with those 38.5" Swampers!:eek:

I don't have an ARB. I have a full Detroit up there.

But yes, on dry pavement with the locker, the hubs locked, those tires and no forward or backward movement, you can turn lock to lock with one finger.

Originally posted by CoryL
I don't have an ARB. I have a full Detroit up there.

Sorry, must have been someone else's truck i was thinking of.

Back