• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

JP goes LED, Interior and Rock Lights

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
So I've been wanting to convert as much of JP to LED as possible for a long time, however LED's aren't cheap and most of the time not very bright. So while goofing around over on Pirate, I came across these super cheap and bright LED's out of China. You get 20 pucks on a string for $26. Only the take 3-4 weeks to get here :rolleyes: They are worth the wait!

So I started off replacing my rock lights. This is the 3rd stage of these. I originally started with 5) 55 watt fog lights, they we're really bright, but when you get the roof lights and two lights up front going it was starting to be a bit much on the electrical system.:(

Stage 2 was some accent LED lights I picked up from the auto parts store. They worked but not as bright as I wanted, and they still cost me $50+ in the end:rolleyes:

So now stage 3. I installed the new rock lights, and they are much brighter.

I liked them so much....I did the interior of JP too:D

Attachments

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Maniak

Moderator-Stock 91-94
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
I"m glad to see those work well. I'm still waiting for my LEDs to get here (same ones you got). I at least got a shipping notice, so hopefully, and week now :)

~Mark

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
But.. won't this scare away the dinosaurs? :p:

Jason c

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited 5.0L
Wow, that's bright. Can the sections be separated or do they have to be kept in a string?

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
There is only 4" in between each light. I have been cutting each one as close as possible to the next light. I have been wiring them 1 by 1, no need to keep them in a string.

for rock lights I have 5 lights, there are 2 under the front bumper, 2 under the frame, at the front doors, and 1 in the factory spare tire location.

for interior I have 4. 2 in the front overhead cluster with the compass and temp thing. 1 in the factory over head unit (did not do the map lights) and 1 in the cargo area. For this one I needed to replace the actual unit, because the factory light was just to small.

sport97

Elite Procrastinator
Reaction score
City, State
connellsville pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport SOHC 4.0
There is only 4" in between each light. I have been cutting each one as close as possible to the next light. I have been wiring them 1 by 1, no need to keep them in a string.

for rock lights I have 5 lights, there are 2 under the front bumper, 2 under the frame, at the front doors, and 1 in the factory spare tire location.

for interior I have 4. 2 in the front overhead cluster with the compass and temp thing. 1 in the factory over head unit (did not do the map lights) and 1 in the cargo area. For this one I needed to replace the actual unit, because the factory light was just to small.
Wow, those a really bright. I like them. Only 4 lights or 5 lights makes all that light. With one strand you have 20 to play with too. I may have to buy one of these for interior lighting, and maybe some sort of rock or puddle lights.

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd

how exactly are you wiring them? I guess im a little confused as to how they come. i need to check out pirate more often :hammer:

Benfrench

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
These obviously run off of 12v. How hard was it to wire them up?

FIND

Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
How warm do they get? 28 watts for the bundle, that means each puck is dissipating around 1.4 watts and drawing 116 mA, so yeah 1.4 watts, that is a lot to dissipate over that small area. Still, 43 lumens per watt is pretty nice. 60 lumens a puck... You get 25 lumens from a 194 bulb, so it is like having a couple bulbs in everywhere you put one....

I might order some strings...

FIND

Reaction score
City, State
Vermillion, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT V8 AWD
Oh hey, btw dreddog.

If you want to make a project like this easier to wire up, you can always go onto some of the plug and play LED maker sites like superbrightleds, or maybe even on ebay and find bulb bases. Then you just put your power and ground leads into that like a normal bulb would have. Then they are plug and play, though you do have to keep the correct polarity. Though, given the long life of LEDs, I would just connect them directly to the wiring for the light and remove the socket for the bulb. Underneath, it would be just like wiring any other aux light. Add a switch, run wire, ground to frame or body, or run ground all the way into engine compartment.

Hope this helps if you are looking at something like that.

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Are these dimmable?

..It sounds like they can take a beating..:scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

tdavis

Linux Guru, Jack of All Trades
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
I've got a set of those LEDs also, waiting patiently for me to put them on the zuk..

someday soon.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P my battery power goes way down when i try to lower my window Performance Lighting 7
Gofast PIAA Pro 80 XT, Which wire goes where? Performance Lighting 5
H 2016 explorer low beam and led not working Performance Lighting 0
A Replace halogen fog light with LED white ? Performance Lighting 7
K LED Turn Signal Lights Performance Lighting 0
C LED Conversion 1st Gen Performance Lighting 0
C Mounting LED pods to Explorer/Sport Trac fog light hole. Performance Lighting 0
Q LED DRL, Fog and Positioning Lights Performance Lighting 9
2 My LED Fog Lights Performance Lighting 7
A LED fog lights Performance Lighting 5
C LED Pods in fog light holes? Performance Lighting 1
J Yellow LED Fog Lights (2018 Explorer) Performance Lighting 12
S Has anyone put led lights in a 01-05 sporttrac? Performance Lighting 2
D Help with size for led light bar Performance Lighting 8
N New LED's installed, now a question/issue. Performance Lighting 2
M Laserfit led light bulbs Performance Lighting 4
B 2008 ford explorer led lighting upgrade questions Performance Lighting 0
jsgoofn 5th Gen LED turn signal upgrade Performance Lighting 6
Jacob Linder DIY Wiring Harness for LED Lights? Performance Lighting 1
L 1st gen explorer led light switch Performance Lighting 2
T LED Headlight kit w/Ballast Performance Lighting 2
C 96 Explorer XLT LED Mounting Brackets? Performance Lighting 3
C LED tail/stop lights. Performance Lighting 1
C LED Conversion Issue Performance Lighting 6
S Roof Mounting a 42 in LED Light Bar Performance Lighting 1
P 2013 XLT. Hid or led conversion Performance Lighting 1
Z 2010 LED Tail Light fix Performance Lighting 0
A Led rock lights installed Performance Lighting 1
S Size of bottom grill for LED light bar Performance Lighting 6
P LED Driving Lights Gen 5 Explorer Performance Lighting 0
L Would these LED's fit? Performance Lighting 1
M LED Light Bar and where to mount? Performance Lighting 12
B Front LED Domelights Doesn't Fully Shut Off Performance Lighting 1
S Led light bar in place of fogs Performance Lighting 6
D LED Headlight Bulbs Performance Lighting 36
B Found a 52" LED Bar for $97 Performance Lighting 3
D Solid LED Tail Lights for 2011 Explorer Performance Lighting 0
C LED 50in Mounts Performance Lighting 0
S LED strip not working when tried to hardwire it in Performance Lighting 1
B How many LED Load Resistors do I need? Or electronic flasher? Performance Lighting 2
B I need help. problem with led lights Performance Lighting 0
R Adding LED pod lights to cowl area Performance Lighting 7
E 2001 - LED / Switchback - Resistors Not Working Performance Lighting 4
C How mount a LED light bar on a Ford Explorer 06 Performance Lighting 1
D LED Bar Roof Mounts? Performance Lighting 2
B Led Setup in my 97 Mountaineer Performance Lighting 3
S LED strips from China... anyone use before? Performance Lighting 20
S Roof Mounted LED Bar--Check out!! Performance Lighting 5
X LED head light swap DIY Performance Lighting 0
J Street Explorer with LED light bar? Performance Lighting 9