JP Mobile upgrades | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JP Mobile upgrades

With a new off road season upon us, it's also time to do some upgrades. This time the focus in mainly interior.

So here is the list.
* New Corbeau Baja SS seats (All 4)
* LED cube rear flush bumper lights
* Pioneer Double Din 3200BT DVD,bluetooth flat screen stereo (came out of the wife's old ex)
* Front and Rear Camera's
* New custom Carling switches for all lights
* Custom made forward center console

Let the fun begin:JP:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So made some progress

Started off gutting the interior

Gut.jpg

Front Seats installed. These we're pretty simple.

Front_Seats.jpg

Today I started on the rear. Of coarse I had my helpers:D I had to find a booster seat that would fit these. They will both be using one.
helpers.jpg

Next it was building the frame for the seats to mount to. I managed to retain a pivot function to access the fuel pump, with out having to take everything apart.

Rear_seat_frame.jpg
Rear_seat_frame_2.jpg

This is what it should look like when all put together.:thumbsup:
Rear_Seats1.jpg

Images fixed...

Today I got the rear seats finished up, just need to figure out the center buckles.

Also started on the rear LED's and got the driver side in.:JP:

Attachments

• Rear LED.jpg
    Rear LED.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 773
  • Rear Seats2.jpg
    Rear Seats2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 767

Nice work; it looks great.

This evening I worked on mocking up the new upper center console. Just under the HVAC would be the switch bank, parallel to the shiftier would be the CB sideways, and at the bottom would be a pair of cup holders. If I space everything right, I should have space for a ham radio in the middle in the future.

This will be built from sheet steel and welded together.

Attachments

• Upper Center Console test2.jpg
    Upper Center Console test2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 743
  • Upper Center Console test.jpg
    Upper Center Console test.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 739

I like the seats, especially the rear. I might steal your seat base design on that one! If only you could get the seats to fold in half, then the rear could fold up like the 80's Bronco's for rear cargo.

So I started working on some of the wiring today and I got stuck sort of...

On the stereo there is a wire that normally goes to the back up lights, so the screen knows to switch over for the back up camera. In my f250 I have this wired to a switch. This works perfectly in that application.

The problem comes when you add a camera. With two cameras and a 3 way switch the cameras work, but needs the reverse wire to trigger the screen. Wiring to both doesn't work because it back feeds and they are both active.

So I think I need a pair of relays to prevent from completing the circuit. Feedback on my wiring diagram would be helpful and any advice.

Attachments

• 20150920_182747.jpg
    20150920_182747.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,221

I want them on a switch. I want them on when I tell them to turn on.

I already figured out the moving switch long ago, bypassed it with a relay from when it was in my wife's '06 Ex. Plays dvd's when ever I want. Works perfectly.

I pretty sure my diagram will work, so I'm running with it.

Attachments

• 20150915_195832-1.jpg
    20150915_195832-1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 722

Another solution would be to add a diode to the wiring each of the power wires so it will not allow a back feed. A diode only allows current flow in one direction. Example, a LED (Light Emitting Diode) will only light with the positive and negative pole wired a certain direction, but a normal diode will not have a current draw, just restrict flow to one direction.

New Switchs:D

Attachments

• 20150923_220755.jpg
    20150923_220755.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 616

New Switchs:D

Source? I really would like to change my hodgepodge of switches into a single switch bar.. And are those custom or did you at least get to choose the artwork on each switch?

~Mark

Source? I really would like to change my hodgepodge of switches into a single switch bar.. And are those custom or did you at least get to choose the artwork on each switch?

~Mark

I actually have two sources. First is OTRATTW.com which will let you do custom text. My f250 ones came from there. The other is aironboard.com they had the dual camera and USB switchs. Both ship pretty quickly :thumbsup:

Stic-o, I find it amazing the talent and knowledge that people like you have. It must be great to be able to do all these mods yourself. I'm sure it will look great and be a truly one of a kind SUV when you're done. Please keep us posted with pictures as your work progresses on your project. I salute you.....:salute:

Picked up a little something extra for the console;)

And no, it's not a clock I invented :p:

Attachments

• 20150925_200505.jpg
    20150925_200505.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 562

I don't have one of those fancy plasma machines like others, but I'm getting by with my grinder ;):JP:

Attachments

• 20150926_140418.jpg
    20150926_140418.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 488

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:popcorn:Subbing, awesome work so far! I like the idea of having the front and rear cameras on a switch to select which one.

Back