July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
Yes, times are tough so wheelin' runs have been few and far between for most of us. Hopefully we can all get in one good run this summer thats local for the SoCal crew...and maybe some 'Zona peeps?

So start saving your money, get your rigs back in order (Colin:p:) and let's do this!

Run is set for July 10-12:burnout::rangertan::exporange

Camping will be at Crab Flats campground.

Directions
Take Freeway to 330 North. Go through Running Springs and Arrowbear, CA, to Green Valley Road. Turn left, go approximately 4 miles to Crab Flats Campground sign at Forestry dirt road. Turn left and go 4-1/2 miles to the campground.
To add to this, the dirt road you turn left off of Green Valley rd. is easy to miss so keep an eye out for it, then it's 8 miles of dirt road:rolleyes:

Reservations are not required, but it just makes it easier and we can keep the group together. Half of the campground is reservation only and the other half is first come first serve.
Here's the website to make a reservation:
http://www.reserveamerica.com/campgroundDetails.do?subTabIndex=0&&contractCode=nrso&parkCode=CRAB

Saturday's run info
For the non campers coming up for the day we will be running the John Bull trail via the Gold mtn. trail.
We will meet at the Discovery Center parking lot at 9:30am
Directions to Discovery Center:
Located on Hwy 18 on the north side of Big Bear lake just past the town of Fawnskin, look for the entrance on your left.

In list:

Froader + 2 rigs
DB_1 + 1 rig
RangerX
J**p Gary
R.J.
Mounty71

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Subscription form sent.

This might be a good break-in run for my brother's Suzuki since the diesel swap. I have a free plane ticket from the credit card company so I might make it out if school/work allows.

I find it both awesome and funny that the first 2 replies are from out of state:D It's nice and cool up there during the summer and Dannyboy, your gonna wish you brought the boat instead of the wheeler.

For now you can plug in Big Bear city to get an idea of where it is. When we all agree on a campsite then we can determine the best route for the out of towners to come up.

Maybe. With work and other things it is hard for me to plan out very far. If I can make it I will. I have only wheeled in big bear once.

OK, ok I'll try and get my shiz fixed this week so it will be ready to go. It's not running right again though...lame...

I did some 1:10 crawling today though. :)

your so weak, I give you a freebie axhole shaft and you don't even fix your truck.

I'm open for dates so i'll leave it up to the masses to decide but I was thinking early June or July. There's a few events and holidays i'd like to avoid which are coming up:

Bronco Bash...June 12-14
Inland Empire 4wd Forest Fest...June 19-21
July 4th weekend

As for campsites, Hanna Flat campground is a pretty good one and it's about 2.5 miles from the town of Fawnskin so there's not much dusty fire roads to get there. Most of the other campgrounds are further in on dirt roads.
I doubt we'll be able to have a campfire due to the high fire danger in the area but i'll have to confirm this.

Some info I copied off of Google maps:

Fee $20.00 /2nd Vehicle fee $5.00 a night
Spaces 88. - 43 1st come/1st served.-43 reserved
Tent and RV Sites. Space Length 40’
Water : Yes
Flush Toilets / Pit Toilets
Campsite must be occupied 1st night
Pets must not be left unattended, must be leashed at all times
Quiet time 10 pm to 6 am
Campground limit 14 days
For reservations call The National Recreation Reservation Service toll-free 1(877) 444-6777.

...I want to go..:(

...Work has slowed down so much that I also, cannot commit...I plan on being in Pismo on June 19-21 and if possible, I'll be saving up to go to the CCR '09 run...

...If work picks back up and I can finish fixing my trucks, I'll definitely be there...Tom Rios might be interested in this too if he sees it...:biggthump

I suggest you guys aim for after July 4 because everyone's got something going on before that date.

I'm up for some wheeling.. Never though about wheeling in Summer.. thats the wheeling "off-season" here in Southern AZ. when its 90F+ at night you don't go wheeling during the day.

I'm working on the tow rig (finally getting started). I want to have it ready for the Fall Wheeling season as I'm always afraid of breaking something far from home when when I come out to CA for some vehicle fun.

~Mark

In state reply

I'd love to do this this summer. There are a couple nice remote sites (no facilities) between Green Valley Lake and Big Bear and the area can accommodate anyone from stock to double-locked.

Most of the other campgrounds are further in on dirt roads.
I prefer these (more remote) sites and we're only about 10 miles from there, so I could probably 'reserve' one or two of the yellow post sites a day ahead of time if the dates are right :thumbsup:.

I'm up for some wheeling.. Never though about wheeling in Summer.. thats the wheeling "off-season" here...

Same deal for me, but that's what's great about Big Bear in the summer it's a good 20-30 degrees cooler up there:thumbsup:

As for the camp sites, i'm game for anywhere but I was just considering those who may be towing campers or trailers.

Ritsui, you know the area better than most of us so your input is appreciated.

Well this is coming together nicely! :)

Now we just need someone to knock at Section525's door and pull him out to this run.

I suggest you guys aim for after July 4 because everyone's got something going on before that date.

I agree, plus like I posted before there's a lot of organized runs going on in June.

The suggestion box is open:D

According to this:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/conditions/

We can have a small campfire in a designated campground in an existing fire ring. We will need a permit for the campfire or any propane/gas stove if we camp at a "yellow post" site which is free and are available at any ranger station.

Still jobless:( But mite be avle to sneek a local run in;) After 4th of July should give us enough time to get a trans in my dad Explorer too.:thumbsup:

Ouuuuuuuu thats some good pics there! Now I'm even more excited!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Those are some really great pictures..:biggthump

...Although, I didn't really need to see them...:(

Back