July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

July 10-12 Camp n' Crawl in Big Bear

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Dave, here's a link for campsite info for the SBNF incase you didn't already have it http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sanbernardino/recreation/camping/index.shtml
Campfires are allowed in developed campsites as long as there is an approved fire ring all year long, with the exception of when the Forest goes to a modified VERY HIGH or EXTREME fire danger rating. In which case we close just about everything the public has access to.

...and sadly there's no way that I'll be able to attend, even though I'd really like to. :(

Sounds fun! IZ, how about a layover in ABQ so I can sneak into your luggage?:D
Or me steal all your tools and leave you with an empty garage :)

Thanks for the link Kenneth, great info on there. Sorry you can't join us:(

By the looks of that webpage, i'm thinking our options would be better if we stick to the "family campgrounds". I don't see why we couldn't reserve a few spots grouped together. We can have 2 vehicles per spot so share a space with someone and it'll be that much cheaper.

Agreed but those with a trailer/RV will probably not have enough room to share.

Agreed but those with a trailer/RV will probably not have enough room to share.

I'm sure there will be a few of us that can share a site, we'll get that all figured out once we get a head count and who's trailering...details details:p:

AHah gotcha. I'm just anxious as heeyll. BTW your list needs "Section525" somewhere, probably in the "In" list.

Put you on the "interested" list Carlover.

So I talked to the Discovery Center for campground info and as of now campfires are allowed in all designated campgrounds in the provided fire rings.
Campfires are also allowed in the "yellow post" sites so long as it also has a fire ring provided.

Fire restrictions are subject to change between now and then so we'll have to see what the situation is like at the time of the trip.

So we need a vote on where to camp still. I've suggested a few places and Bill mentioned group camps, there are fewer of the group camps than the family camps and not too centralized but I am not opposed to anything. I'm leaning towards the Crab Flats campground, it has bathrooms, running water, we can have a campfire, central to most of the trails and as of now all of the reserved spots are open so we could grab a few and camp together.

I'll vote for Crab Flats as a good spot. I 'think' you can get 2 or 3 trucks in one spot (big enough for an RV) if I remember correctly. I doubt I'll be trailering for this trip. We should start to book it, or it will be here before we know it.

Thanks for checking things out for us, Dave.

Crab Flats :thumbsup:

So we need a vote on where to camp still. I've suggested a few places and Bill mentioned group camps, there are fewer of the group camps than the family camps and not too centralized but I am not opposed to anything. I'm leaning towards the Crab Flats campground, it has bathrooms, running water, we can have a campfire, central to most of the trails and as of now all of the reserved spots are open so we could grab a few and camp together.

well i am not familair with the camp grounds up there but sounds good to me.,
i guess if were gonna do the group thing. lemme know the cost and i'll get to ya.

Yeah, Crab Flats is alright. I stayed there once about ten years ago.
If we get several adjoining spots, that would be great!
Also, it's just two vehicles to a site, I believe.

Looks like a fun trip and wish I could go, I will be on a family Vaca...

I was planning on reserving a spot this week if everyone is cool with Crab Flats.
I figured I'd post up the space # once I got it then everyone else could reserve a space on either side and any other adjacent spaces.
I'll ask if I can save 4 or 5 spaces grouped together without putting out money for deposit or whatever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let us know Dave. I'll be trailering sence, it cheaper on gas to tow then to just drive the Explorer:rolleyes: Although they may not be true going up the hill:rolleyes:

Back