Jumping/Bouncing when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jumping/Bouncing when accelerating

mcobb

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
On my 06 Explorer 4.0 (155,000 miles), I can get in it in the morning and drive it fine (other than a buzzing sound as i accelerate which i have yet to pin point so if someone has an answer to this as well that would be appreciated. Only does it from cold start on cold mornings and i just replaced serp belt ) but when it warms up usually around mid day i get in it to drive off and after about 50 yards of driving, when i give it gas, it jumps. rpms jump up to 5k ish and back down like its getting intermittent gas supply. It jumps about 4-5 times as i am accelerating (5 mph ish).

I have heard things from distributor cap to spark plugs to bad gas so let me know what you all think.

No CEL currently but i do have an open thread on a previous CEL P0455 and gas cap light on at the same time. I reset the battery and they have been off for about 2 weeks. Im sure they will come back though.

Nobody else have these issues?

bump to either issue

with 155K on the clock its probably time for new plugs. The jumping issue could be bad/dirty throttle body. Maybe try giving that a good cleaning, its cheap to do and an easy place to start

Back