• Register Today It's free!

junkyard find :) tire swingout!

renegade1

Reaction score
City, State
Peachtree City Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
today in the junkyard i found this beauty... its a tire swingout that bolts to the frame where the hitch bolts on and also to the back bumper in two places. thing seems extremely well built and is heavy guage steel. i know its off a GM, but this weekend im going to do some fabricating and see if i cant make it fit my explorer to hold a spare (im runnin 31's). i know a 31 fits underneath just fine, but if i ever go up a size then this will be nice to have :) plus i paid under ten bucks for it so its worth a try to see if i can make it work! its made by a company called valley, but couldnt find anything simmilar online. will post pictures whenever i get it mounted on the X!
Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

great score dude... wait i just read for 10 what? american hahaha WOW

i know! i saw it and figured id pay around thirty or so for it... but when i checked out it came up to $9.85 american! gotta love pull-a-part

Now that's a find!

What keeps it in place while driving? A slip pin or latch mechanism?

Pull a parts rock , esp in ATL ive been to all of them in Ga and found good stuff cheap , nice find renegade

I would have drove down to Atlanta for that find. Congrats

That was a "Find of the Century" especially for 10 bucks !!

alright heres the final product! took a little bit of work to make it fit, but im happy with how it turned out :) plus the way the tire sits it doesnt block the rear window too much so i can still see out! for skyjumper - it has a pin with notches in it that it slides onto and it latches to it.

1016111125.jpg

here you can see how its mounted - hacked up the bolt on mount that it came with (didnt fit at all) and did some welding. thing is welded to a class III receiver - should hold just fine :p:

1016111504.jpg

and heres the finished product! after this picture i cleaned up the spare a bit (pretty muddy from being under the truck...) and i took a spare ford emblem and attached it to the swingout.

so whada you guys think?

Great work.

The only thing I see with it, is how low the pedestal sits below the bumper. Any way for it to be raised and welded higher up at least to match the bumper ht?

Otherwise, nice job. :thumbsup:

And on a seperate note, I wil not hold it against you for being a Ga Bulldog.;)

Great work.

The only thing I see with it, is how low the pedestal sits below the bumper. Any way for it to be raised and welded higher up at least to match the bumper ht?
QUOTE]

i was thinking the same thing... but if it sat higher then it would interfere with the tailgate opening. but the way its welded it doesnt sit any lower than the hitch does (angle of the picture kinda makes it hard to tell) so atleast i didnt loose any ground clearance in the rear :D

[and i wont judge you either on being a gator fan... ;) ]

My dog's vet had one in his tahoe, looks very good and for 10 bux even better!

Back