Junkyard guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junkyard guide

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
So I was thinking about this, and I'm not the best with graphical stuff, etc... But is there a thread, or if we compile information, possible for someone to put together a junkyard guide, that people could take (myself included) with them to get parts- that would show what years and engines certain major part interchange from? Such as- my accessories are good. But if I'm at the junkyard, and I see a newer alternator, what years and models can I pull an alternator off that will fit nicely into Snowball's 4.0L OHV? What about power steering pumps? Other Fords? Years? Stuff like that...

The Autozone, etc., guides are good, but you need to put the model and year in for everything...

It could be an undertaking, but if split up among tons of members to get the info, it may not be bad- and it could be a valuable resource for everyone, assuming something isn't out there already that I couldn't find. Lots of stuff in individual threads, but not in a printable info sheet.

Just thought I'd toss it out there, I'd be willing to help out... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think most of the members here just buy new when they need a new alt or ps pump or anything like that. With a junkyard part like that your taking a gamble as to if it'll last 2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days.....

i like the idea, even using new parts.

I know it would be helpful to know- Need a x.. for my 1995 Ex. I can use an x.. off an Explorer from 19xx to 20xx with the x.. engine, or a Ranger with x.. engine, etc... It's helpful for yards, eBay, member sales, etc... Maybe I'll work on that a little bit this weekend, since I need to research some parts to throw on the shelf for Snowball

That would be perfect!

These o-rings on the post aren't sold seprtly, you have to buy the entire post that's in the seat - they are $29.95 each post. The o-ring is worth about .25

It would be nice to just be able to glance and see what other Ex/Mnt/Rngr has them... I need to replace all 10 of mine - cracking.

good idea

Except for a few odd balls, mostly newer, Ford only has a few basic designs for alternators. The main difference is the way the rear of the housing is rotated to fit the mounting position in different vehicles and the amperage. You can basically upgrade to anything with the same type plug and undo the bolts holding the front and rear housing to gether and rotate the rear housing as necessary...just don't pull the housings apart too far, or you'll have to reset the brushes.

The stock Bronco II, Explorer, and Ranger rims are 5 on 4.5" pattern. Old Mustangs, Granadas, Monarchs, Cougars, Torinos, LTD II's, 77-79 T-birds, and even some AMC and Mopar cars all interchange. If you have full size (F series) axles, Chevy truck and "big bolt pattern" cars have the same bolt pattern, but the center hole for the hub on stock rims is smaller. Most aftermarket rims will interchange between the full size Fords and Chevys though.

It's late I'll add more tomorrow. Bringing a tape to the junkyard and occaisionally test fitting stuff there solves many mysteries too.

Some things look identical, like rack & pinions on a Taurus/Sable. I had to replace one for somebody, and after getting the new one in found out that the threads for the hydraulic lines didn't fit! They didn't have another one in stock, so I had to give their wrong one back, and wait until they rebuilt my core. They were afraid that another one might have the same problem, so they just wanted to be sure. If you want to find out the interchange compatibility of certain parts, you could look it up in the Hollander Interchange Manual.

In connecticut, there are no Pick-n-pulls (supposedly its illegal), and most of the yards around here are ran by greedy assholes that crush anything older than 10 years..plus they usually say "oh we don't have that handy, we'd have to pull it for you, we'll have an estimate when u come after we pull it"

I guess too many ####ing idiots were jacking vehicles up and then crushing themselves when it fell ontop of them, and yards were being sued..

yes, you sign releases here to get in, and they lift them all up on raised "jackstands" made of a vertical rim welded to a horizontal rim so there is no jacking up of vehicles allowed. Unfortunately, they are starting to charge way too much for used parts to make pulling anything good worthwhile. For rims they are charging $35 for a rim and $15 for a tire. "Oh, it's mounted and you don't want the tire? That'll be $10 for us to remove the tire." Might as well just get them off eBay now.

Back