Junkyard lift - coil springs and shocks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Junkyard lift - coil springs and shocks

LukeRust

Reaction score
City, State
Hermitage
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford exploder sport
1993 Exploder sport 4x4 2door

The vehicle is a beater off road rig. Im just trying to get more ground clearance out of it for the trails.

Right now i have 2" coil spacers in the front and 2.5inch lift shackles on the rear and i clear 31" tires just fine. My leaf springs are bad so im going to replace them with sport trac leaf packs which are a 3.25" lift. Now i need to even it out in the front and get shocks that fit. I can either get coil springs that are 3-4" taller than stock and still use my 2" coil spacers or i can get coil springs that are 5-6" taller than stock and ditch the coil spring spacers. Ditching the coil spacers is the better option if possible because it will help increase travel.

What vehicle could i rob these parts off of at pull-a-part?

You will need lift brackets in the front to drop the axle down if you go over 2.5" of lift or it will never align. No idea what vehicle you could get longer springs off of. The rear is fairly easy, you can get another Explorer or similar leaf pack, and make your own frankenleaf. Just add cut to length leafs until you get the desired height.

You will need lift brackets in the front to drop the axle down if you go over 2.5" of lift or it will never align. No idea what vehicle you could get longer springs off of. The rear is fairly easy, you can get another Explorer or similar leaf pack, and make your own frankenleaf. Just add cut to length leafs until you get the desired height.
The 01-02 sport trac leaf pack is actually the exact same Deminsions and rated for the same weight as my explorer except it has 8" of arch and mine has about 4 3/4 of arch.

My ‘91 has bronco / F150 front coil springs installed and provided about a 1.75”-2” lift up front, longer 5100 shocks with a new lower shock mount off the rear of the beams and it works ok for a poor mans lift. Clears 31” no problem and I’ve bounced it around a little bit.

Back