junkyard rear end removal/tools | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

junkyard rear end removal/tools

Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport 4x4
I was wondering what tools do i need and is every bolt on the explorer metric? i kinda got the gist of it from one of the other post on here. but he said something about taking off the hogs head cover and drainging the fluid. Do have to take the axles out after that too? I f somebody could help me out with a step by step and the tools i need that would be awsome. And how much do you think it weights. Thanks alot... wagz

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leaf springs

im also taking off the leaf springs should i take those off last?

Unbolt the front and rear of the leaf springs as well as the drive shaft. Snip the brake line. Bring a torch or two with you to heat up and belt the bushings inside the leaf springs. They will be a beotch to get out.

Hi Chris,

The leaf springs are mounted to the frame with large diameter bolts that go through the bushings in the frame. When I did this, one of bolts on the rear of the leaf spring mount was rusted/frozen in the bushing in the frame and I had to drive out the whole bushing and then replace it.

If you have a cordless saws-all they come in handy. So does wasp spray this time of year. Some yards will also cut it out at the shackles with a torch for a for a small fee. Did that before. For $15 they cut out a rear and hauled it across the yard to my truck.

how much does it weight and do you think me and my 60 yo dad can lift it into the back of his truck?

Itll be heavy, may want to bring another buddy or two. Not worth hurting yourself over.

Im doing this too and yes they are a ass pain to remove i think ill try the heat tomorow thats the only thing i havent tried yet. where can i get replacement bushings?

Got mine in a junk yard. Knocked off the ears where the metal was pinched over to hold it in the frame and then punched it out.

Back