Just a small whoops...but... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just a small whoops...but...

The quickest $50 Dad ever spent

You're not allowed to push snow into the street (or across) around here, so Dad pushes it to the end of the driveway, and pushes it up the street like the city plow would do.

This time he over estimated the ditch, and put one wheel over.
The truck was resting on the plow bracket.
he even tried to pull it out with his 02 Explorer but got no movement at all.

Called for a tow, 3 minutes and $50 :confused: later he was out. :bsnicker:

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, same regulations on snow around here.

I'm surprised the 02 couldn't get it out, must have been hung up on that bracket pretty well.

Yeah I was surprised too but that plow bracket was on the ground. The drivers side front wheel was not grabbing anything.

I did the same thing with my lawn tractor, but the explorer pulled it out no problem.

been there done that with my bronco ll. i took out my high lift jack and raised it about 18 inches then pushed it sideways off the jack so my rear wheel was on the ground again.
my high lift jack is a life saver.

Sorry to be bit off topic but, in my Explorer manual it says on the first page not to be used as a snow plow heh. Is it because the truck cant handle the extra weight up front orrrrr am I missing something?

Sorry to be bit off topic but, in my Explorer manual it says on the first page not to be used as a snow plow heh. Is it because the truck cant handle the extra weight up front orrrrr am I missing something?

i was just about to say the same thing

its not meant to be a commercial snow plow because the transmissions are very weak. If you have a small personal plow and are just doing a few driveways and are careful the explorer can plow without a problem

yup, open differentials will do that to you. Since the front left wheel had no traction, the front axle was useless. And since the explorer was at a tilt and more weight was put on the left side then the right side of the rear axle, the back right wheel was spinning as well while the back left wheel was not. I'm betting this was the case.

Well I want to get a plow for my sportX and am I'm looking at a snoway like this guys got and they're alot lighter than a normal plow like you would see on a F250. They don't put near the stress on the front as you would think...The local car lot has a sporttrac with one on it and it doesn't sag at all.
With that saying of not using as a snowplow...maybe it means to do the opposite of me and just running through snow banks and playing in open fields of snow..:p

yup, open differentials will do that to you. Since the front left wheel had no traction, the front axle was useless. And since the explorer was at a tilt and more weight was put on the left side then the right side of the rear axle, the back right wheel was spinning as well while the back left wheel was not. I'm betting this was the case.

hold up i know that explorers have open diffs up front but i thought they had limited slip diff.'s in the back

hold up i know that explorers have open diffs up front but i thought they had limited slip diff.'s in the back

Not all explorers have limited slips in the back, that was considered an accessory and was most often only included with the towing package. Even then a limited slip allows for some measure of slippage and does not 100% lock the wheels. It is still possible to get stuck with a limited slip, if the truck is really stuck and will not move, the engine will overpower the clutches and they will slip.

Most 4x4 explorers out of the factory only have open differentials.

Well I want to get a plow for my sportX and am I'm looking at a snoway like this guys got and they're alot lighter than a normal plow like you would see on a F250. They don't put near the stress on the front as you would think...The local car lot has a sporttrac with one on it and it doesn't sag at all.
With that saying of not using as a snowplow...maybe it means to do the opposite of me and just running through snow banks and playing in open fields of snow..:p

It is a very light weight plow
A friend of mine and myself lifted it in and out of a pickup when we brought it home.
When you lift the blade, the truck does drop a little though. But its simple to put on and off so Dad never leaves it on the truck. Dad has a dolly made for it so when we get snow, he can back in, wheel the plow over, hook on, lift it, move the dolly and drop the blade to drive out of the garage.

whoops

OK.... I just HAVE to ask. Fairly new here and really do not know many folks or wre they live BUT your profile lists you as Orlando, FL.

Do you really get enough snow down there to have a law about where you can push it to? Or to even have a snow plow for that matter?

When I lived in Pensacola they literally shut the city down when we got an inch of snow! :scratch:

OK.... I just HAVE to ask. Fairly new here and really do not know many folks or wre they live BUT your profile lists you as Orlando, FL.

Do you really get enough snow down there to have a law about where you can push it to? Or to even have a snow plow for that matter?

When I lived in Pensacola they literally shut the city down when we got an inch of snow! :scratch:

i was going to ask that too...but i'm assuming since he said it's his dad's...i'm assuming his dad lives somewhere further north

You're right, I am in Orlando, but my Dad is in Newfoundland, Canada.
Its been a light winter so far. Usually by now the sides of the driveway are 4ft high.
Once it gets that high, the plow is almost useless as there is no where to push it. Then the snowblower takes over for the rest of the winter.

Back