Just an Idea | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just an Idea

Hey Everyone...
I was wandering thru my local AC Moore <arty crafty store> and I came upon an isle of stained glass window "products". As I gazed into the isle an idea hit me...... Use some of the stained glass paint to paint over the existing lighting in the truck <ie. dashboard, ac panel controls, etc...> hell, maybe even the interior lighting <dome light etc.> they even have thin pieces of lexan like material. Grab some of that and the paint and cut it to fit. If you have green lights inside <like me> get some yellow window paint? I'll try it this weekend and let you guys know... any suggestions just fire them off.

WarGhost

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good idea!

hey maybe i could do something to my fog lenses to make them a slight blueish color. thanks

well jas just check out lightforce.com
They have lights that have filters you can buy that do a whole bunch of different things. infrared, light sensitive animals, etc... cool stuff. All I need to do now is find a template of sorts for this lexan i have to cut and fit over the ac controls to test it out. I forgot to mention that there is a glow in the dark window paint too... got some of that also.. :)

WarGhost

i tried www.lightforce.com i couldn't find any fliters like you said. just 4 different products, and they were all lights.

Hey warghost,

What do you think about doing something like that to the third brake lens. I have a post in a different category looking for ideas to modify th elook of factory third brake light. Your stained glass is an interesting one???? Just wonder what it would look like...hmmmm??

Cool idea, let's see some pictures!

Originally posted by WarGhost
I forgot to mention that there is a glow in the dark window paint too... got some of that also.. :)

WarGhost

got some ideas for that glow in the dark paint. that would be so pimp if i pull up somewhere at night and when i turn my headlights off there is still this eerie green glow in my headlight housing

well when i start my internship with my local police department i will be asking a lot of questions about legality. but my friend had those fogs and he got pulled over a few times. so i dont think they are legal, but actually i dont know how long it would take before i got caught. cops don't really seem to care about violations on the car as much as the care about speeding.

hmmm... it looks like I got you guys thinking!
Ok, the glow in the dark headlights would be awesome! The only thing I can think of would be to get a clear headlight cover <like the GTS ones> and paint them with a light coating of the glow in the dark paint. The only problem would be visibility when the headlights are on <decreased visibility> and it would be a pain in the ass to take off the headlight covers whenever you wanted to go somewhere and then put them back on. I'll try to figure something out though... keep it up guys! Now, the third brake light.... I think you'd run into the same problem with replacing the corner lights with blue ones, illegal of course, at least that's what I hear in NY. Worth a try though. I should have pics by tuesday at the latest. I was also trying to figure out how hard this paint would be to get off if I painted the actual AC control panel <right over the symbols I mean>. I'll try the lexan cut out's first and see how that goes. Then I'll do the interior lights and the puddle lamps.... Keep it up Guys! Gimme some more ideas!

WarGhost

Woah! I just got another idea... Find some really flexible material or get a dash kit company to make me a clear dash kit and then paint it with the glow in the dark window paint! hmmmm.... deviously clever if I say so myself... This is getting better and better....

WarGhost

Jas84 (and others as well),

I used to be a police officer and I can tell you that almost any modification you make from a factory vehicle can lead to a traffic stop. However, I speak from experience when I say that "typically" cops will not mess with vehicles with modifications unless it is around bar closing time, social event where alcohol is allowed, or you are in a high crime/drug area.

In order for a cop to pull someone over they have to have PC (probable cause) so a cop can use your mods as his PC to pull you over. Why a traffic stop over something so petty as colored lights or whatever the case may be??? Just making sure that the driver is not DUI, DUS (driving under suspension), has vehicle insurance, does not have outstanding warrants, no drugs on or about his person, no weapons, and to basically make sure that everythying is on the up & up with the driver. 99% of the time once the cop finds out that you are clean you are on your way with no ticket! However, if you take an attitude and give snippy answers or tell him to go find some real criminals then you are walking yourself into a ticket. Think about it for just a second..."go find some real criminals".....what do you think he is trying to do? He has no idea of who you are and that you are a decent person. That's why he is stopping you. To find that criminal. I arrested a guy on an outstanding warrant for murder in a differerent state all because of a neon license plate frame.

Ok..I think I may be ramblin' here....Don't worry about doing modifications as long as it isn't anything extraordinary! You may get stopped but just be polite and you will drive away most of the time. Most tickets are "fix-it" tickets which means if you fix the violation within a designated time frame the ticket will be voided.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by Gimp
they spend tons of time talking to some jerk about how he gets out of traffic tickets because he knows how to put the police in their place, etc.

that guy was such a moron. i cant believe anyone is that stupid. it kinda seems like the radio show paid someone to call up and act like that, just to get some listeners.

How did I miss this thread about LightForce?? Their filters work just like they say they do. I've got two sets of filters myself. Both work great. They only fit LightForce lights as far as I know however. :)

Gimp...Thanks for the link to that thread! I had never heard that before. I couldn't stop shaking my head. I kept telling myself that it had to be made up but then again I am completely aware of the different types of people and their mentalities. I wonder if the police caught wind of this guy and harassed the crap out of 'em!

WOAH, I just realized that the "legendary" Gimp has posted to a thread I started! I'm thinking this is cool. But anyway, come on guys.. more ideas! I'm in the process of creating a template for the dashboard <speedo, etc.> and the AC controls. I figure the easiest way to do the dash without pulling the whole thing is to lay a piece of the lexan over the existing plastic shield and paint it. I should have pics this weekend, work has been insane... kinda funny seeing as I work for myself.

later

Back