Just Another Fn V8 Swap Thread

ntp7001

Reaction score
City, State
Northeast PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac Job2
Hello,

I have been on this site a few years reading through the different threads, and I have found a lot of useful information here. I thank you all.

I am looking to do a V8 swap into my 2001 Sport Trac (Job2). She has 256,000 miles on here and I am on my 3rd transmission. Now that I have another vehicle I would like to take my Sporty off the road and give her a serious upgrade.

I am not looking to get a donor vehicle because I just do not have the space to keep it. Although it might be a little more work I would prefer to source my parts from local yards and Craigslist.

Now, before I start to get in over my head I better let everyone know that I already have a wiring harness and computer from a 97 V8 Explorer. The more I start going over the threads on this forum again, I think I may have made a mistake acquiring these 2 items. Mostly I have read about fuel rails and PATS. Can someone please point out the advantages or disadvantages of using a 1997 Explorer?

There is no hurry starting this project as I may wait until the spring to actually begin the swap. In the meantime though I was going to continue to source the parts I need such as a the tranny, engine, transfer case, 3.55 rear axle. and possibly driveshafts. My main concern is whether I should be using a wiring harness and computer that I have already sourced.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks all.

Neal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correct the 97 does not have pats so that helps on that. I ran a 97 computer for a little while when my pats computer went down. It did not run perfect seemed due to 2 vs 3 wire distributor pick up not advancing the timing correctly. As far as the fuel rails I think mine had to be changed, read my N2ford thread on here.

I run a 97 v8 computer in my 01 ranger. The wiring will be cake as long as you have the 97 transmission harness and run a tcase with a gear driven vss.

The main difference will be the fuel system. 98 and before is return and 99+ returnless. I had to convert my ranger over to a 98 sending unit and run a return line from the fuel rail.

$200 for the 351windsor, C6 and 1356 manual t-case. Need them gone asap.

$200 for the 351windsor, C6 and 1356 manual t-case. Need them gone asap.

I wouldn't feel to confident swapping that it in. How would the engine wire harness work with it? If I knew how to do it I would consider it...especially since I will be out your way in a few weeks to move my daughter to Ohio.

***Update...my Sporty's tranny died over the weekend. I knew it was going...2-3 flare...and Overdrive issues, I just didn't expect it to go this quickly. That was my third transmission. So I am either doing the swap or junk it. At first I was ready to junk it. I was very pissd. It was blowing tranny fluid all over the road. I haven't had a chance to see where it was leaking from yet, regardless though I may just park it and start pulling the engine and trans.***

Back