Just bought 04 Eddie Bauer... Couple of questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought 04 Eddie Bauer... Couple of questions.

Robert7x

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
Hey guys, just recently I bought a 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer, V8 with 150K miles on it. It seemed like in a good condition without any issues.

I did normal stuff, engine oil change, filter, air filter, pcv etc. Brakes, Upper Ball joints and sway bar links this weekend.

I was reading a lot on these forums about transmission oil and changing it... I'm really not sure what to do about it at this point. I don't know if it has ever been changed or not. Carfax lists some maintenance done, but not sure which.

To make matters worse, after having it for about a week, I drove 250 miles total, maybe... This morning on the way to work, once I got on the highway, O/D light started flashing and it said check transmission. I started reading all the threads on the forum and it could be number of issues from Bad transmission, to bad solenoid pack, fluid old, etc etc.

So that brings me to this question... should I attempt to change fluid and filter and see if it helps, or maybe it's something else? Another thread mentioned that the brake switch could be causing it? The OD seems to engage though... It shifts fine everywhere else... no loud thumping when changing gears... goes from R to D just fine.

Anyway, that's my main worry right now. Overall, all the other things are just maintenance.

Thanks a lot gents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Robert, you had better get the codes read ASAP. Then post in the transmission sub-forum, James, transman304, et al they are experts. Best wishes.
Doc

^^^what he said as well

I too bought an Eddie Bauer (2005) earlier this year, I didn't get the O/D flashing light, but my transmission did go out on a road trip 1k mikes away from home. Needless to say, I had to get a rebuild done from a shop in Albuquerque ($2800 w/36k miles warranty) due to the overdrive planetary going out causing other components to go out as well.

I pulled the codes and there was nothing. I replaced the filter and oil in the transmission and also while I was under did the transfer case too. Neither looks like it was ever replaced... I haven't gotten a light yet... Drove about 50-60 miles so far... So we'll see.

Well, the light came on. I pulled the codes and only got brake switch one (p1703). I don't know if that is anything that would actually cause an issue with transmission?

I did read a thread about so,e guy replacing it and light went away...
This code came with engine running test and off. I had brake pressed and not yet it came both times. Even after clearing codes, them running a test it came right away... I may replace it tomorrow and see

Weird how intermittent this light crap is... It can go a day or two without it, then it would come on one trip to work. It's obvious when it happens that it's not going to od... But no other issues. Drives nice. No damn codes other thane brake switch

Robert, my apologies if you already know this, but Ford uses proprietary transmission codes, not accessible via a run of the mill scanner. Many people claim they return no codes, when in actuality the codes are present and stored in the PCM. What scantool are you using?
Doc

Robert, my apologies if you already know this, but Ford uses proprietary transmission codes, not accessible via a run of the mill scanner. Many people claim they return no codes, when in actuality the codes are present and stored in the PCM. What scantool are you using?
Doc

I got a friends Scan Tool made by craftsman that says they can scan transmission codes. It's this unit: http://c.sears.com/assets/own/487347e.pdf

Craftsman CanOBD2&1 Scan Tool Kit with PC Software & Optional RepairSolutions®

Item: 20899 | Model: 20899

I would try another, just to be sure.

Back