• Register Today It's free!

Just Bought 2011

tmg19103

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT AWD
Just bough a 2011 XLT linked below. Car is a lot cleaner than the interior pictures make it out to be. Must have been the camera or they had not detailed it yet.

Have lurked for a while. Got a good deal. Below what they were asking with a 1 year bumper-to-bumper thrown in, plus it has the remainder of factory power train warranty to 5 years.

Will be searching around for what new owners should be looking into, but any suggestions are also welcome.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Explor...1448140142&pt=US_Cars_Trucks&autorefresh=true

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just bough a 2011 XLT linked below. Car is a lot cleaner than the interior pictures make it out to be. Must have been the camera or they had not detailed it yet.

Have lurked for a while. Got a good deal. Below what they were asking with a 1 year bumper-to-bumper thrown in, plus it has the remainder of factory power train warranty to 5 years.

Will be searching around for what new owners should be looking into, but any suggestions are also welcome.
Welcome to the Forum tmg19103.:wavey:
Make sure that the MyFord Touch (MFT) has the up to date software version V3.6.2. If it has navigation it should have either an A3 or A4 SD card in the slot. Also, check for signs of water leakage around the 3rd row seatbelts where the drop down from the roof. Also remove the spare and check the spare tire well for the same thing. Check with a Ford dealer to see what Technical Services Bulletins (TSB) have been performed on it. Also don't forget to register and open an account at; http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html
I'm sure there will others along to add to this. Good luck and happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome to the Forum tmg19103.:wavey:
Make sure that the MyFord Touch (MFT) has the up to date software version V3.6.2. If it has navigation it should have either an A3 or A4 SD card in the slot. Also, check for signs of water leakage around the 3rd row seatbelts where the drop down from the roof. Also remove the spare and check the spare tire well for the same thing. Check with a Ford dealer to see what Technical Services Bulletins (TSB) have been performed on it. Also don't forget to register and open an account at; http://support.ford.com/media/syncmyride/intercept.html
I'm sure there will others along to add to this. Good luck and happy motoring.:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks! Picking her up Sat. after this storm. I have read up on making sure MFT is updated, and it seemed a little slow when test driving so I bet a flash is needed. Appreciate the other advice. Will have technical service bulletins checked. I bought this at an Infiniti dealer, but they threw in a one-year bumper-to-bumper on top of the 4 months that are left on the 3/36 (pitted then against a Ford dealer that had the exact same car and got a great overall deal) so I feel good about being covered on a new but used car.

Along with the MFT updates also make sure they have done some of the key TSB's as you mentioned.

Big ones like A pillar applique coming off and air getting inside A pillar causing "Bee Buzzing" noise

Spraying foam inside the metal area between windshield and roof for "tin" sound when raining.

Lots to make sure get done so you dont spend first few months of ownership in the dealership.

Along with the MFT updates also make sure they have done some of the key TSB's as you mentioned.

Big ones like A pillar applique coming off and air getting inside A pillar causing "Bee Buzzing" noise

Spraying foam inside the metal area between windshield and roof for "tin" sound when raining.

Lots to make sure get done so you dont spend first few months of ownership in the dealership.

Thanks! I thoroughly test drove at high speeds and listened for things like "bee buzzing" and wind noise/whistling and so far so good. When I pick her up Sat. it will be the tail end of a this big snow storm, so a car wash will some soon enough and I'll look for leaks and see how the next rain sounds on the roof.

When I pulled up MyFord and signed up I noticed the car was upgraded to the MFT before the most recent, so at least the owner/dealer were on top of that, though I will do the latest flash ASAP.

Will be interesting to see what was done under warranty when I get her to a Ford dealer. No concerns as I have some time on an slightly extended bumper-to-bumper. Hopefully known issues where dealt with by the previous owner. One advantage of buying a newly designed car used is the previous owner gets the kinks out under warranty - at least one hopes :chug:

Keep in mind that TSB's are not recalls. A recall is automatically carried out on the affected models. A TSB is only carried out if that particular vehicle is actually experiencing the problem. As for the roof noise, I have it but it is so rare that I notice it that I have decided to forego the TSB, especially after reading some of the posts regarding issues that happened because of the 'fix'.

Peter

Hi, tmg19103,

Congrats and welcome! :D

I just checked the VIN and see that MFT is two updates behind (v3.0.2). Since you mentioned taking it to a Ford dealer soon, I suggest having them do the update to v3.6.2. If you have any questions about MFT, don't hesitate to contact me!

Rebecca

Hi, tmg19103,

Congrats and welcome! :D

I just checked the VIN and see that MFT is two updates behind (v3.0.2). Since you mentioned taking it to a Ford dealer soon, I suggest having them do the update to v3.6.2. If you have any questions about MFT, don't hesitate to contact me!

Rebecca

Thanks, but can't I just download the latest version on MyFord to my computer and then load it onto the MFT with the USB/flash, or is this a problem because I am two versions behind so I have go to a Ford dealer?

I will be going to the dealer when I get time, but would like to update the MFT this weekend unless that is a problem because I am two versions behind.

Congratulations on the purchase of your new 2011 XLT! I've had mine for a year now and love it!!!

As everyone has already pointed out, and I'll say it again, check out those TSB's, and if you find any issues with yours, get them fixed before your 36k warranty is up. I had several preformed by my local Ford dealership just before hitting 36k and I'm really glad I did... the TSB sticky posting on this site was a great resource.

If you haven't done this already, pull up your original window sticker and check out all the neat stuff on your ride. I used this site: http://researchmaniacs.com/VIN-Number-Lookup/WindowSticker/Ford.html Just enter your VIN and you'll get a PDF of your original window sticker showing all the particulars. Kinda fun!

Lastly, enjoy your new Explorer!

Just did the flash update to MFT/SYNC 3.6.2.

Went without a hitch, but took close to an hour. Probably because I was a version behind.

Now can't find where to turn off auto download for phone address book on the new version, but figure I am just missing something like scrolling down a menu and will find it.

I have a T-Mobile HTC Sensation 4g that syncs just fine. Neat thing about about 3.6.2 is it displays the song title on music you Bluetooth stream on the MFT screen- or at least it is supposed to. I get "Unknown song" on the MFT, but no biggie if I can't find a fix as it works, I can stream my playlists, etc. I'm getting the Panavise set-up where the phone holder installs seamlessly in the dash next to the MFT screen and will show song and album art on my cell.

Also put a USB thumb drive in with a couple thousand songs and is great for random play. Shows song title and artist as well as album art on the MFT screen, which is cool.

And, pulled up the original winder sticker per Johnc12 above. Pretty cool!

I'm glad the update went well. Here are the instructions for turning off Auto Phonebook Download:

"Touch the Phone corner > Settings > Manage Phonebook. Turn Automatic Phonebook Download OFF. Do this for each paired phone.

See more at: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/manage-phonebook-sync-myford-touch#sthash.QtBjbEzU.dpuf"

Also, some phone will show the song information while streaming via Bluetooth Audio, but not all. If you are going by our compatibility chart, when it says it's Bluetooth Audio is a confirmed feature, it just means that you will be able to stream it, not necessarily see the music info.

Rebecca

I'm glad the update went well. Here are the instructions for turning off Auto Phonebook Download:

"Touch the Phone corner > Settings > Manage Phonebook. Turn Automatic Phonebook Download OFF. Do this for each paired phohttp://www.explorerforum.com/forums/images/icons/pumpkin.gifne.

See more at: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/manage-phonebook-sync-myford-touch#sthash.QtBjbEzU.dpuf"

Also, some phone will show the song information while streaming via Bluetooth Audio, but not all. If you are going by our compatibility chart, when it says it's Bluetooth Audio is a confirmed feature, it just means that you will be able to stream it, not necessarily see the music info.

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca! I figured out how to turn off auto phone book download yesterday and between watching a one hour, eight minute YouTube by somebody who really went through MFT and spending a lot of time on the MFT myself, I feel I have it down pat. I'm pretty good with tech things.

Really like it, and think that may be due to software upgrades due to early complaints. Works flawlessly for me. You have great choices of voice commands, touching the screen and/or using the the steering wheel controls.

I find I prefer the steering wheel controls primarily but voice controls for phone calls. Speaking who you want to call is quickest, but changing between USB, CD, streaming Bluetooth from smartphone, and radio for music it is quickest with the steering wheel controls for me. Great system IMO.

No biggie on the songs for my cell phone not showing the song title on the MFT when I stream music Bluetooth. Like I posted above, I ordered the Panavise mount which is in the mail where my smartphone will mount seamlessly into the dash right next to the MFT and I and passengers can see the song title and album art right on the phone screen. I really like that I can skip to the next Bluetooth streamed song with the steering wheel controls.

Ardmore, PA...Home of Autocar! Cool!

Buzz

Ardmore, PA...Home of Autocar! Cool!

Buzz

Yepper. Founded in 1899 making the first brass era cars and then trucks until until just after WWII. Bought out by Volvo and then a company in Indiana that now makes garbage trucks.

Back