just bought a 94 sport 4X4 and have a problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just bought a 94 sport 4X4 and have a problem

WHITEWOLF4861

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Navajo 4.0 Auto.
Seller said she thinks it's a sensor. only paid 300 for it though so if it's more major, i'll deal wit it. it upshifts fine on the level surfaces but going up hills it doesn't like to downshift unless you lift your foot completely out of the throttle. any ideas what this could be. it only has 98k miles. new transfer case in it as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the transmission Vacuum Modulator Valve and/or the vacuum lines to the VacMod...there's one on top of the engine behind the intake manifold that connects a metal line to a vacuum tee, and one underneath the floor "hump" that connects that same metal line to the VacMod. VacMods wear out after about 12-15 years of service...if yours has never been changed, it probably needs to be done. Fairly cheap for the part, about $25, and a few hours of labor.
Also, check the kickdown adjustment for your tranny.:usa:

how do i check the vacume mod.? and how do i check kickdown, and where is it?

Just do a search for both of these issues, you will find plenty of threads. Also, if you plan on doing much of your repair work, get a manual...most people prefer Haynes, as do I.:usa:

The lady i bought it from through in factory service manuals at no charge

Welcome to the site, good score with the manuals!

Tranny modulator is the easiest and cheapest way to go. As mentioned, do a search here, and you will find lots of info.

How is the tranny fluid level? If you're losing fluid, and it's not coming out on the ground, that's sign #1 that the tranny modulator is shot. Sign #2 is fluid in the vac tree...

Hope this helps.

Mike

it definitely loses fluid. but nothing on the ground other then engine oil.. ok, i'll try the Tranny modulator

Back