just bought a Jeep! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just bought a Jeep!

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I got kinda sick of my explorer looking too nice and not having a solid axle so i just bought an 87 yj wrangler for $1000. I've got to either rebuild the carburetor or get a new one but other than that it doesn't need any work. I plan on about 5" of lift and some 33s. yes I'm still keeping the explorer, it's my daily driver.

Here it is now, sitting in my garage being worked on.
0629081320.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It appears to be in good condition for an 87. How many miles are on it? You could get a stand alone fuel injection conversion kit for it, and get rid of the carburetor. I think Accel makes it.

It's got 160,000 miles on it. I did see a fuel injection kit, but for over a thousand dollars. Between me, my dad, and my uncle, we can rebuild the carb for about $30. If that doesn't solve the problem, I found a guy selling rebuilt and adapted Ford carbs that apparently are much more dependable and simple. Failing that, yeah I'll go fuel injection.

The vehicle is in pretty good condition, some scratches, small amount of surface rust, but I bought it so i can stop screwing up my explorer.

edit: i guess this is the site? http://www.accel-dfi.com/default.aspx?BrandID=8
not doing anything drastic just yet but i definitely want to have a "last resort" bookmark folder for this thing

Put on an MC2100 carburetor from an older ford v8 and it worked great. developed a vacuum leak somewhere so another one is going on this weekend. here are some pictures of it, and one next to my explorer

n504759451_698319_3598.jpg

n504759451_698324_5218.jpg

n504759451_698325_5556.jpg

nice jeep u got there

oh man! that is pretty... i've been at a Jeep site for the last couple days. very nice group. I want a Wrangler too! :) Enjoy...

Put on an MC2100 carburetor from an older ford v8 and it worked great

Another HEEP with a FORD part to make it run.:D

I have a Jeep guy buying some parts off of my Sport. (Axel with 4.10's and the Aussie)

I have a Jeep guy buying some parts off of my Sport. (Axel with 4.10's and the Aussie)

That actually crossed my mind at one point when you said it was officially dead, but then i realized you were in canada. the 8.8 is a lot better than the dana 35 jeeps come with stock (except the rubicon). I'm going on a wheeling trip to George Washington national forest in november with some other jeeps, hopefully i wont break my 35 out there. Going to an 8.8 requires a new driveshaft, so when i do that, i'm going to go ahead and do a new transfer case (i have the NP207 now) with a slip yoke eliminator and cv driveshaft.

It sounds like you have some solid plans for the Jeep. I hope all works out the way you want.

With my new EB, I'm going to do a drop in K&N, weld in Flowmaster and switch the diff to LS. Then I'm just going to drive it, polish it, and enjoy it!!! Good luck with the Jeep bro, keep us posted.

And I would have been more than happy to get the 8.8 and Aussie under that thing. Distance and shipping suck!!!

I just ordered some stuff for the jeep...

-front bumper with d-shackles
-rear bumper/tire carrier with d-shackles and 2 inch receiver hitch
-front and rear extended brake lines
-aussie locker for the front dana 30

i'll post some pictures next week when i get the bumpers on

Looking forward to seeing the new progress.

I posted a pic of the new EB in stock 2002-2005 section. Check it out if you get the chance.

Nice.

I used dupli-color bed liner on the entire inside today, and along the edges of the tub. I'll put up some pictures next time I remember to take pictures during the day. Top and doors are going back on soon for the winter.

What are you using more now, the Ex or the Jeep?

Do you have a preference of one over the other?

Looking forward to seeing your updated pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you using more now, the Ex or the Jeep?

Do you have a preference of one over the other?

Looking forward to seeing your updated pics.

The explorer is used more, by far. It's my daily driver. The Jeep is also registered historic. More than likely, I could drive it every day and get away with it, but I don't want to do that anyway.

As far as preferences, when it's cold or rainy, definitely the explorer. It's so much more "luxurious" and has all power options, so i can open the sunroof as soon as rain clears and stuff like that. If it's nice and sunny, definitely the jeep with no top or doors. Even thought my explorer looks good and is really unique, I still get a lot more compliments and questions about the jeep. And now that it's bed lined, I don't have to worry about having wet or dirty carpet.

Back