Just bought a Mountaineer... need adivce | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a Mountaineer... need adivce

dbell262

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, Ga.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I just bought a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer. It was stationary for about six years before the guy I bought it from began driving it, so it only has 64,000 miles. There are some cosmetic stuff to work on, but it runs like a hoss.

The one performance issue I seem to be having is a squeaky front end. Whenever I am moving slowly (through a parking lot, for example) I can hear squeaking that sounds like it is coming from both wheel areas of the front end. The guy who sold me the vehicle said he thinks it needs shocks, but the ride seems fine. I was thinking it might just need to be lubed up well from the years of sitting.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I should also note, the noise seems to be tied to steering. When I turn the wheel either direction, I hear creaking/squeaking.

I just bought some white lithium to grease the bushings. Anyone care to weigh in?

For me it was the torsion bar rubbing on metal to metal. It could also be ball joints or your trac bar

Thanks for the reply. I have been studying the heck out of the suspension system, so I feel like I should be able to figure something out once I can get under there and take a look (it's been raining for three days prior). I know it isn't the shocks; I bounced the front end and those respond well without a peep, so it has to be one of the various parts that comprise the suspension.

The weather looks to be nice today in Northwest Georgia, so I will grease up the bushings and see if that helps, then go from there.

For me the squeak was ball joints on both sides. Then last time it was the control arm bushings, which i just sprayed down and they are quiet again. Maybe get some fresh grease in the ball joints, or check if the boots are in decent shape.

Alright. I think it is for sure some of the rubber parts in the steering system, whether that be the bushings or the ball joints. I think this because the noise goes away after a hard rain, but comes back as the air dries up.

I have looked up video instructions for replacing both, and I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. So, my question for you folks is, what should I expect to pay to replace the bushings and ball joints on both sides? Or would it be easier/cheaper to just replace the the control arms. I can get the parts cheaply online, but the labor is what will bite you.

Back