just bought another explorer have alot of questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just bought another explorer have alot of questions

masterbeatty

Reaction score
City, State
farmington MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
i bought a 96 explorer with a 5.0 for 750 bucks. the motor is blown up, the guy bought a short block from a mustang. the short block is in great shape. the problem is the guys kid took the explorer heads for his mustang so i dont have a set of explorer heads. what is stopping me from using the mustang heads? im running a 3 inch body lift.

also before the motor goes in its getting a cam, new timing chain and gears, all new gaskets, oil pump, and water pump. at least so far.

is there a cam that is recomended, i will be runnin 33s with the factory gears until i solid axle it. and what will i need tune wise for upgrades.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well,
Using the explorer heads will save you some grief, as headers are unique to the gt40 port design.
All of the front dress is explorer unique, be aware of this also.

Many have used the FMS e cam with good performance results and minimal, if any tuning hassles.

I recommend jah81592 , our forum vendor for your tuning and performance parts needs.

www.hensonperformance.com

i pmd him yesterday. well ill have to find a set of gt40 heads and thats not to hard. i have all the parts to the factory motor. but i was hopein i could get away not usein the torque monster cause of the price of them.

You could also see if a local junkyard has a 5.0 available for you. I've seen these anywhere from $150-250 at my local JY complete with 75k-200+k miles. You could then try to sell the mustang engine.

well,
Using the explorer heads will save you some grief, as headers are unique to the gt40 port design.
All of the front dress is explorer unique, be aware of this also.

Many have used the FMS e cam with good performance results and minimal, if any tuning hassles.

I recommend jah81592 , our forum vendor for your tuning and performance parts needs.

www.hensonperformance.com

ive read on a lot of mustang forums ( and starting a 5.0 conversion on my own mustang) that the 94-95 v8 mustangs and the 5.0 explorers had the SAME front dress

well i know the mustang motor is in beatiful shape. theres still cross hatching in the walls, and the pistons are aftermarket, not sure what brand but my neighbor who drags stangs says that they are designed for higher compression and more lift on the cam

noone else? im goin to start ordering parts soon. i also found some gt40 heads, valve job and mild work for only 250

Back