Just bought my 1st Explorer and it needs repairs. Can anyone help? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought my 1st Explorer and it needs repairs. Can anyone help?

stalyun

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
Hello all,

I just bought a 1997 Explorer XLT last week and the check engine light came on. A friend hooked up a code sensor and this is what came back:

P0133: O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0153: O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

I can't afford to take it to a shop right now, but I figure if it turns out to be an easy fix I might be able to do it myself. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The post cat o2 sensors are easy to change
BTW, the pre ones, are very tricky

I bought this set

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-Black-...229824?hash=item33ad9f4ac0:g:nbAAAOSw8-tWXYBR

No all the connectors fit right, but with minor modifications it can done.

Yes, however the original poster's codes refer to the upstream sensors,

Bank one sensor 1 is right behind the primary cat on passenger side. Changing it can be a little difficult. The connector is tucked up in there pretty good, and you might find it is easier to remove the center console to get to it.

Bank 2 sensor 1 is in the exhaust pipe right under the transmission.

I think they need replaced. I know of no way around it.

What engine are we talking about?

I've only been driving for a couple of years, so I'm still learning about this kind of stuff. But I take it that it's probably not an easy fix?

If you have the tools it's not too bad. Once you can see where they are, you just need a little patience. Those sensors have heated and cooled so much. They're a pain.
step-9-passerger-o2-sensor-jpg.jpg

B2_S1.jpg.jpg

Just to help. Maybe go full synthetic in the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differentials. You'll probably need the friction modifier for the rear end. Replace plugs, wires, air filter, pcv valve, and top off the fluids. I would also drain and flush the radiator. You should be running great after all that and get better gas mileage. Let me know if you need any advice.

Thanks for all the answers. I'll try to figure this out this weekend and post back.

Back