Just bought my first car it's a 1996 Ford Explorer xlt 5.0 v8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought my first car it's a 1996 Ford Explorer xlt 5.0 v8

Hotrodguy19

Reaction score
City, State
Van nuys California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hey how's it going everyone I just bought my first car. It's a 1996 Ford Explorer xlt 5.0 v8. So far I'm loving it. I bought it as the now 3rd owner so there's a few things that need to get done to it.

Anyone that can answer my questions let me know.
I was thinking about lifting my ford and putting a rear locker on it to give it more of a off road purpose. But from what I hear the ford I bought can't really be altered into a off-road vehicle because the engine is so big is that true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No that is not true you can lift it, do a TT and Warrior 183 Shackles on the back. There are many members who have lifted the 5.0. Your options are endless, search this forum for write up's. Also join Ford Explorer Club on Facebook there are many member who have lifted and modified their X's with the 5.0. If its AWD there are write up's as well to covert it to true 4x4.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Use the Google search box near the top of each page to search for "Torsion Twist" to get an idea on the easiest and cheapest way to lift your Explorer for tire clearance.

I think you'll be very pleased with how your Explorer works offroad :D

Thank you!!

No that is not true you can lift it, do a TT and Warrior 183 Shackles on the back. There are many members who have lifted the 5.0. Your options are endless, search this forum for write up's. Also join Ford Explorer Club on Facebook there are many member who have lifted and modified their X's with the 5.0. If its AWD there are write up's as well to covert it to true 4x4.

Awesome good news. I felt for a second that I bought a station wagon with a lift kit. Thank you for your input I appreciate it

Thank you

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Use the Google search box near the top of each page to search for "Torsion Twist" to get an idea on the easiest and cheapest way to lift your Explorer for tire clearance.

I think you'll be very pleased with how your Explorer works offroad :D

Thank you, thank you I truly hope so !

Awesome good news. I felt for a second that I bought a station wagon with a lift kit.

Definitely not :D

http://www.explorer4x4.com/gjarrett.html

gerald_climb2.jpg

:burnout:

Back