• Register Today It's free!

Just bought my second Explorer

DurocShark

Reaction score
City, State
A Mickey Mouse Town
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS RWD 4.0OHV
When I lived in CO, I had a 99 XLT with the 4.0SOHC. It was rock solid except for those wonderful timing chains. Expensive repair...

I just bought a 2000 XLS with the 4.0OHV engine and RWD since I'm back in SoCal. It's in the shop right now to fix a timing chain cover coolant leak. (Hurt my back, so letting them do the work.)

I've read lots of posts here and at the ranger station and can't find any really big gotchas on this engine. What should I know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure they're known to blow head gaskets in the 170k mile range. I'll let someone else confirm that though.

Transmission is a hunk of s**t.

330 000 kilometers on my 4.0 OHV.. still runs great. Good reliable motor.
400 000 on my aunt's 95 Ranger 4.0 OHV - still smooth.
270 000 on my 97 Explorer OHV field truck - you guessed it .. still good.

40ish less HP than the SOHC but better in situations that demand torque.

193 000 on my secondary explorer sport SOHC - rattles on start up.

If your XLS was a standard trans, you'd basically have the overall most reliable vehicle on the road.

Is that because of incorrect coolant used?

I want to say it's because of the TTY head bolts and for some reason the 4.0 OHV had issues. I'm really not 100% sure. All I know is I've read a lot of stories about blown HG's on that engine. My buddies went right around 170k too actually.

Transmission is a hunk of s**t.

I don't think the trans is that bad. You're thinking of the SOHC 4.0 trans. I blew 2 of those in my last 4.0 SOHC and lost the engine at 165k too.

330 000 kilometers on my 4.0 OHV.. still runs great. Good reliable motor.
400 000 on my aunt's 95 Ranger 4.0 OHV - still smooth.
270 000 on my 97 Explorer OHV field truck - you guessed it .. still good.

40ish less HP than the SOHC but better in situations that demand torque.

193 000 on my secondary explorer sport SOHC - rattles on start up.

If your XLS was a standard trans, you'd basically have the overall most reliable vehicle on the road.

There is going to be quite a bit of debate about that. The V8 trucks are pretty universally considered the most reliable gen 2.

I want to say it's because of the TTY head bolts and for some reason the 4.0 OHV had issues. I'm really not 100% sure. All I know is I've read a lot of stories about blown HG's on that engine. My buddies went right around 170k too actually.

With the BMW M30 engines it's because the alloy casting around the water jackets is thin and they have an alloy radiator.

If you don't use the correct coolant the head corrodes and the gasket blows out.

I don't think the trans is that bad. You're thinking of the SOHC 4.0 trans. I blew 2 of those in my last 4.0 SOHC and lost the engine at 165k too.
Pretty sure the 5r55e was used with both v6 engines. On earlier 2nd gen models it was a similar trans but 4spd not 5.

There is going to be quite a bit of debate about that. The V8 trucks are pretty universally considered the most reliable gen 2.

They don't come with a standard transmission option, to my knowledge anyway.

Did they make 2wd 5.0 2nd gen Explorers?
I would say the most reliable 2nd Gen would be a 2wd, Stick, 4.0 OHV. Less moving parts and all that jazz. I guess a diesel might be better.

Did they make 2wd 5.0 2nd gen Explorers?

Yes. I didn't think such a beast existed until I bought a 2WD 5.0 '97 Mountaineer in March 2014.

Pretty sure they're known to blow head gaskets in the 170k mile range. I'll let someone else confirm that though.

You're wrong, they blow head gaskets/ crack the head when overheated. But that's every engine. Long as the cooling system is maintained the head gasket should be fine well past 170K

they blow head gaskets/ crack the head when overheated. But that's every engine. Long as the cooling system is maintained the head gasket should be fine well past 170K
I agree with this. I think I have actually seen blown head gaskets mentioned a time or two on here before, but those were far and few in between, probably just owner error.

As far as I know, I haven't heard any mass issues/problems with the OHV. What it lacks in performance and possibly fuel economy, it makes up for in durability and longevity.

Thanks all!

I did the solenoid upgrade on the 99 (https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175065) to fix the shift flare. Beyond that, the trans was solid without issues. I had some piddly stuff (and timing chains), but that Explorer was pretty darn solid.

I'm having the leak in the timing cover fixed right now. Tiny, but I don't want to take any chances. Getting a new harmonic balancer, fan has a crack that's causing a flappy fin, trans mount missing bolts, and an oil pan leak that I missed when I was going over it to buy it. All in, my guy's charging $1500. Since the timing cover alone is most of that, I think I'm doing ok. I've been going to this guy for 15 years. (If you want a shop that puts plastic over the seats and such before working on your car, he's not for you... If you want honest and inexpensive, I can share his info. He's in Anaheim, CA.)

I had do do an auto since this is for the wife. I found a 2-door 2002 with a stick and really liked it. But I can't picture her driving around downtown LA with a stick.

You're wrong, they blow head gaskets/ crack the head when overheated. But that's every engine. Long as the cooling system is maintained the head gasket should be fine well past 170K

1. I agree, that the heads/head gaskets on the 4.0 OHV engine crack/blow when they're overheated.

2. The OHV and SOHC V6's used the same weaker automatic transmission. The 2002 model transmissions were terrible and known for failing.

3. The 5.0 V8 was most certainly available in 2WD Gen II Explorers and Mountaineers (we own 3 of them). The V8's (2WD and AWD) used a different, stronger transmission than the V6's. There was no manual trans available in the V8 and no true 4x4 either.

IMO, the 5.0 V8 is the best choice by far, followed by the 4.0 OHV. I currently have 2 SOHC 4.0's in the family's fleet and I'm constantly worried that the timing chains will let go, as they did on our 1st SOHC.

2. The OHV and SOHC V6's used the same weaker automatic transmission. The 2002 model transmissions were terrible and known for failing.

IMO, the 5.0 V8 is the best choice by far, followed by the 4.0 OHV. I currently have 2 SOHC 4.0's in the family's fleet and I'm constantly worried that the timing chains will let go, as they did on our 1st SOHC.

What's different about the 2002 trans? Cheaply made parts?

What is it about the 302 that would make it that much more reliable than the 4.0 OHV ?

In my mind, they're both pushrod reliable dinosaurs it's just one has less moving parts. Granted the v6 may have to work alittle harder at the same tasks than the v8. Also the 302 was notorious for eating fuel, not saying the 4.0OHV is a whole lot better. I actually think the v6 ohv is probably the best on fuel of the 3 engines. I'd certainly favour the 302 for towing and modifications though.

I just figure that since the v8 doesn't come in a standard trans, that makes the difference for me as which 1 to pick as the overall most reliable 2nd gen. I despise when a vehicle is sitting on the side of the road because of a transmission.

Also, thankyou for informing me that the v8 comes with a 2wd option, learn something new everyday. I figured it SHOULD come with that option but never seen them and wikipedia is misleading on the subject.

On the 00 sport I just got w/5r55e, I'm going to put another tranny cooler right beside the original one, do people do that? It should help shouldn't it? I also put synthetic fluid in it. I've had one fail before and I don't want to go through that crap again :) Supposedly it's a fairly new transmission in it. You get bent over HARD at tranny shops. The ones I've seen were basically a bunch of idiots also, long story.

You guys may be right, I think I'm thinking of the early gen 1 trans. Far as overheating, maybe the 4.0 OHV is more prone to blowing gaskets when overheated than a 302? I don't know why I had it in my head that they blew head gaskets, but hey that's why I said I wasn't 100% sure; I didn't want it as fact until confirmed.

Far as a 5 speed being more reliable, I don't know how well the 5 speeds in these trucks held up with a lot of miles. Someone can chime in with that. It's pretty common for the 5.0L auto (4r70w) to run over 200k miles without needing parts replaced. So even if the 5 speeds run over 200k without needing syncros, blocking rings etc. replaced, I'd still consider having to change a clutch a pain in the ass over having to only do fluid/filter changes on the 4r70w.

On the 00 sport I just got w/5r55e, I'm going to put another tranny cooler right beside the original one, do people do that? It should help shouldn't it? I also put synthetic fluid in it.

That would be good if you tow or live in a hot area.
How hot is Ontario?;)

An inline trans filter with a spin off filter cartridge would be good.
No danger of over cooling because the trans has a built in thermostat.

Both the 4.0 OHV and 5.0 are pushrod all-iron motors. Simple, inelegant, but very reliable.

I've had two Explorers with the 4.0 OHV and 5-speed manual. The weak point of these is the plastic slave cylinder which requires transmission removal to replace. Otherwise they seem pretty stout. The 2nd gear synchro went out on my 98 at 205,000 miles. Bearing and synchro kit has it shifting fine again. My only real gripe about the manual transmission is that the 1st gear ratio is too low for a truck and makes towing anything significant a challenge. There is an alternative gearset available that was used on 4-cylinder and 3.0 V6 Rangers that supposedly can be swapped in to fix this issue.

The 4.0 OHV had the best rated fuel economy of the three engines (18/23 with the 3.23 gearset + 2WD) but the lowest power output.

That would be good if you tow or live in a hot area.
How hot is Ontario?;)

An inline trans filter with a spin off filter cartridge would be good.
No danger of over cooling because the trans has a built in thermostat.

In the summer we can get close to 40 degrees celcius and just as far on the freezing side in the winter.

It has a built in thermostat? hmm, I didn't know that..

My m50d doesn't like to go into gear when the revs are too high. Why do the revs not come down right away when you come to a stop and put it in neutral?
The rpms seem to hang around 1200 or so for a second sometimes. It's got a rattling sound that goes away when I push in the clutch, I guess that's the throwout bearing? It needs work but it's still functioning, lol.

On my 1996 EX the head gasket literally disintegrated at 16 years old. Was leaking to the outside of my engine. Not sure that OEM head gaskets were that great?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Downside to buying used is you often have no idea what work was done.

I can tell that the intake manifold has been off at least once, so it's likely the head gaskets were done at some point. Not a sure thing of course. Service records would be nice, but alas no such luck. I have the record for ONE service. An alternator replacement in 2010 done at Pep Boys. Sigh...

Back