Just Bought our First House! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Just Bought our First House!

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
Me and my girl have been looking at houses for a few months now, and have finally put an offer in on a house yesterday. They accepted our second offer and we are now on the way to owning our first house.
The house is smaller, only 960 sq ft, but it's only me, my girl and my 11 month old son. Yeah, most who know me on here probably didn't know that happened. Best thing in the world. Its a 3 bedroom, 1 bath and an eat in kitchen, kind of. It's located just a few miles from where we are now, and not far from our family which is great. It has a carport, basically an open garage with a small enclosed storage area. The driveway is long, will probably hold 3-4 cars. It has a full length attic that I will be working on for storage. First plans are to paint, and repair the roof in the master bedroom. Has a dropped ceiling that we will likely be getting rid of. Then replacing the carpeting. We are looking at laminate flooring for the living room, hallway, and master bedroom with carpet in the remaining 2 rooms. A guy I work with used to install flooring, so he said he would help us out, and I will get the chance to learn some new stuff. Eventually we plan to remodel the kitchen, possibly expand it. Over the summer/fall, I may look to partially enclose the carport and enclose it on 3 sides to help with heating costs. The only downsides are the heater and AC, both are 20 years old, but being that the house is smaller, they shouldn't require big units and shouldn't be too expensive to replace when that time comes. Bathroom has recently been remodeled, just have to paint over the ugly wallpaper that is above the tile.
We are both so excited and are looking forward to moving in. We close on the 26th of February, and the lease on our apartment ends the end of March.

Dan

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
Congratulations Dan!
Remodeling is expensive :( I've been remodeling or rather, making the house "ours" for the last 6 months or so. Contractor grade paint and fixtures just isn't us lol

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Awesome man!!!! Small or not you can make it work, we are 1350 sq ft over here.... I bought this house before I met my wife, now she has lived here with me for two+ years and EVERY SINGLE SURFACE / fixture / everything has been completley re-modeled!!

LOL I just spent 1.5 weeks building our new railing for our stairs and I still need to cut the crown moldiing for our re-done bathroom.....
Having a house RULES, YOUR OWN PLACE!!!

Congrats!! there is nothing like it

<

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
Congrats on the house! Word of advice, skip the laminate. Now wood will be about the same and if you plan on installing yourself depending on the wood and laminates your looking at it can be cheaper. I went with high quality laminate only because the person who designed my kitchen highly suggested it and I wish i hadnt. I installed it myself and it was very easy but if you drop a knife or anything sharp on it you cant get them out. Also scratches dont really come out. They have snap together wood now so it is just as easy as installing laminate. I can get you pics of it after it being 2 years old if you want.

<

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Congrats Dan, it's a great feeling isn't it? I remodeled my entire house top to bottom, learned a ton and made plenty of mistakes along the way. Some of them I was warned in advance and disobeyed my friends with more experience, you just need to learn a few things on your own LOL.

Feel free to PM me at the front end of any project as I've done them all, some way under budget, some way over budget, there's been a lot of inspiration from home projects I've read about on this forum.

I've been there/done that on the laminate. I did like it at first but you get what you pay for. With the cost of labor on flooring being the biggest part of it, the difference in price on the investment on the materials is minimal.

Do things that will make you money first (real money, not sweat equity as nobody can predict how fast homes will go up in value.

I regret not doing my windows back in 2004 and saving $30 a month on energy, they would have been paid for by now.

Get some pics up!

<

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
Congrats Dan! Pics are necessary! :D

<

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Great news! Congrats:chug:

<

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
<

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
Thanks everyone. I have a buddy I work with that said he used to install flooring. I may try to talk her into the regular hardwood since he will be able to help me out with minimal cost. I will be helping him jack up the back of his house come spring time. Plus I will help him, and learn what it takes to do the job. The only pictures I have are from the listing. Again, thanks for the tips, and the invites to ask questions. I am really looking forward to getting started on things. Looks like Monday will be the home inspection, so I really want to see how that goes. Here is the listing. It was hard to find one, didn't realize they pull the listings so quick after an offer had been accepted.
http://www.homesbyhazel.com/myhomedtl.asp?homeid=981538
Again the kitchen is older, but everything looks to be in good shape. We will likely hold off on the kitchen until the heater and AC have been replaced.

Dan

<

jad2411

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
El Paso, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Brown eb
Dan at least you have a kitchen! I decided not to get the one the builder trows in and save some $, and then get the one I wanted, we bought the house in 2006 and still no kitchen :p:

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
wow I disagree with the laminate statements above

my wife has a flooring company, we replaced all the tile in our house with laminate, it cost us $800 total because we did all the work ourselves. The laminate we chose is $1.50 a sq ft, very cheap... it holds up VERY WELL< it does not scratch, although we have managed to put two large gouges in it (dropped a heavy metal vase with sharp corners) I used some wood filler and wood colored markers, now you cant even tell

Laminate should not scratch easy at all!! if it does you got the wrong stuff?? THE STUFF WE got is on the cheaper side but looks great and has a 25 year warranty.......

Hard wood is nice too, but I can tell you right now laminate is a hell of alot tougher then most comparable prefinished hard woods, you think your laminate scratches easy? hard wood is five times as easy to scratch and is much harder to install/prep

just my 02, we love our laminate... most guests cant even tell its not hardwood.... in our neighborhood ($250K price range) laminate fits the house value just right....

I too have completely re-modeled this house, my wife is a fix and flipper, so she has encouraged me and her brother (flooring installer for 15+ years) to do all the work ourselves, I mean everything.
The only thing we sourced out was the granite in the kitchen... all trim, floors, fixtures, plumbing, electrical, doors, travertine, everything we have done ourselves... so if you have questions this forum is a great place to ask!!!

I spent the last two weeks designing our new stair railing in autocad and then building it... its pine and rod iron, I am very proud of this one as woodwork is not something I have ever really done (except framing walls, build skateboard ramps, door jambs, trim, etc LOL nothing like this!)
with the right tools and help you can do all improvements and save a ton of $$$! We have increased our equity by about $20K and spent about $8-9 :) not bad in this market!

<

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
wow I disagree with the laminate statements above

my wife has a flooring company, we replaced all the tile in our house with laminate, it cost us $800 total because we did all the work ourselves. The laminate we chose is $1.50 a sq ft, very cheap... it holds up VERY WELL< it does not scratch, although we have managed to put two large gouges in it (dropped a heavy metal vase with sharp corners) I used some wood filler and wood colored markers, now you cant even tell

Laminate should not scratch easy at all!! if it does you got the wrong stuff?? THE STUFF WE got is on the cheaper side but looks great and has a 25 year warranty.......

Hard wood is nice too, but I can tell you right now laminate is a hell of alot tougher then most comparable prefinished hard woods, you think your laminate scratches easy? hard wood is five times as easy to scratch and is much harder to install/prep

just my 02, we love our laminate... most guests cant even tell its not hardwood.... in our neighborhood ($250K price range) laminate fits the house value just right....

I too have completely re-modeled this house, my wife is a fix and flipper, so she has encouraged me and her brother (flooring installer for 15+ years) to do all the work ourselves, I mean everything.
The only thing we sourced out was the granite in the kitchen... all trim, floors, fixtures, plumbing, electrical, doors, travertine, everything we have done ourselves... so if you have questions this forum is a great place to ask!!!

I spent the last two weeks designing our new stair railing in autocad and then building it... its pine and rod iron, I am very proud of this one as woodwork is not something I have ever really done (except framing walls, build skateboard ramps, door jambs, trim, etc LOL nothing like this!)
with the right tools and help you can do all improvements and save a ton of $$$! We have increased our equity by about $20K and spent about $8-9 :) not bad in this market!

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely be asking some questions along the way.

Dan

<

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
Ill charge my camera and post some pics of it after it aged just so you can see. I also put this stuff in my bathroom that is linoluem (sp?) but looks like wood and is dirt cheap, I have the same thing in my laundry room too but it looks like tile. In my hood houses go from $300k on the cheap side to $500K for the nicer ones. I probably should have put real wood in but the savings did let me upgrade the granite.

<

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Congrats on the house purchase!!:thumbsup:

<

Blazepet7

Reaction score
City, State
Queens, NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99' XLT 5.0
thats great man congratulations i cant wait for the day i OWN a (im waiting for the new york city taxes to drop..lol)but i did do the floors in my moms kitchen and i agree with alexk wood would be just about the same and the thing is any floor surface is gunna be prone to scratches and dents (obviously), the nice thing about the wood is just sand it down and refinish you can do that 10 times more than the laminate if you can even do it. also in my aunts house they put in the laminate and in 2 years it started to buckle in spots...ahh like i said i wish i had a floor to call my own good luck with the remodel

<

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Congrats Dan, that is a sweet pad. Great news on the little guy AND the house. Glad things are going well for you. Keep us posted on home improvement projects and stuff. Congratulations again. :chug:

<

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
Thanks again, it has been a wild year and a half for me. I've been stoked about doing projects for the past 2 days now.

<

hunterdan

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Chevy Silverado
We closed on our house 2 weeks ago and immediately started to replace things. I changed the locks on the 2 doors, my dad helped me brace up the car port, as it has an addition on it, but was kind of a hack job. I will be enclosing it in at some point. We/I ripped the wall paper out of the bathroom, replaced the ugly mirror and lights with some nice stainless units. We had carpet put in 2 of the bedrooms and I started to put down laminate flooring in the living room. The laminate will run from the living room, through the hallway and into out master bedroom. Getting the flooring started has been a nightmare. The house is built on a concrete slab, it is similar to the "levittown" style of houses, but is cheaper, and the quality wasn't as good. Before the carpet could go down my girl and I ripped up all the original tile (from 1951) from the 3 bedrooms, hallway and living room. The carpet guy said he could not put the new carpet in because he wasn't sure if the tile was asbestos or not. The tile was cracked around the edges and most of the tack strips were loose and pulling out of the concrete. The next day we had them come back and replace the carpet. But now the laminate is going down and has been a bit of a challenge making sure all the planks are straight since the walls are not exactly straight. But so far today I have about half the living room, and half the hall way done. I'm hoping get most of the living room knocked out tomorrow morning. Most of the painting is now done, my dad and I replaced the water heater yesterday, which was fairly painless other than the numerous trips to HD and lowes. One trip was to replace the new water heater that had a huge dent on it. Overall, things are coming together nicely, except I AM EXHAUSTED. Add to the exhaustion a cold and I feel just plain miserable. I have been putting in about 10-12 hour days for the past 4 days, and the week before I worked a 12 hour overnight shift for 5 days. But so far I am going to say that its a good tired and we should have everything done by Friday so that we can begin moving in this saturday.

Dan

<

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
congrads dan

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

<