Just bought PIU - surging rpm ? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought PIU - surging rpm ?

Low speed surging fixed! got under vehicle, drained out 4+ qts of trans fluid & replaced drain plug. Replaced fluid along with 1 tube of "Dr. Trannys shudder stop". Vehicle feels like new. Absolutely no surging, It was so bad before I did this that I didnt enjoy driving the vehicle in town because of the lower speed surge. Now I love it. Just wanted to share my experience with the "Surge" Thanks

It’s definitely a night and day difference. Glad it worked out for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Low speed surging fixed! got under vehicle, drained out 4+ qts of trans fluid & replaced drain plug. Replaced fluid along with 1 tube of "Dr. Trannys shudder stop". Vehicle feels like new. Absolutely no surging, It was so bad before I did this that I didnt enjoy driving the vehicle in town because of the lower speed surge. Now I love it. Just wanted to share my experience with the "Surge" Thanks
Welcome to the Forum Mike.:wave:
Thanks for the post/info.

Peter

Hopefully this helps me. I have the exact same issue right now and I haven't had the vehicle for a week yet. I'm also having a hard time trying to find a service/repair manual for it since it wasn't a public option engine.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Change fluid ! Makes that issue disappear . Pretty sure it’s just a fluid issue
I have a14 doing this also with only 77,000 miles. It been driving me nuts. Going to try drop the pan and refill. Keep your fingers crossed for me?!!

Fluid is depleted of the property that deals with shudder. Change fluid, takes about 5.5 quarts of mercon lv. I used some universal from Walmart. About 18 a gallon. While there get that trans funnel that has the flexible hose end on it. Took me about a half hour to drain from small plug on bottom of trans and refill. I also be added some lube guard anti shudder fixx to it. Drives beautiful now. All the anxiety of trans rebuild and just a fluid change. I don't believe in flushing a trans because it reverses the flow and breaks loose crud in the torque converter, this can get back into things such as valve body and hurt an otherwise good transmission.

Hi its CedTheProwler
I have a 2015 ford fpiu 3.7L
bought @ roughly 68,000miles now @ 78,289
Man I've been gunning this issue down for a few weeks ughh.....
This symptom replicates a faulty MAF , throttle body , coils, plug you know where I'm going
I noticed the issue start to get worse about 1 week ago > current 11/10/21. and when the temp reaches it highest point .like driving in city or HWY
I'll tell you what I've done so far Changed spark plug, cleaned MAF and Throttle body , changed EVAP purge valve,
and also pvc valve.
none of that worked......

Mind you now after doing all this , one day it hit me maybe the transmission needs maintenance!!!
This morning i went to ford @7:30 am to grab merconLV 5 quarts tranny fluid and a radiator cap only cause i need a new one but besides that i did the fluid change myself .
took out the plug for transmission using a 11mm and let drain fluid was mad dark. its a really easy job guys and i believe it solved the problem
it gave me amazing results what i was looking for .... stops the shuddering under low acceleration

(Keep in mind) I only did a fluid change not a FLUSH
after fluid change i did noticed a light shudder sometimes but it wayyyy better than before so that lets me know that the old fluid lost its working properties.
LOL its barley noticeable tho now when its does occurs its like car is being tickled just a bit

but man fluid change is defiantly required don't hesitate guys to change it !!

I know you guys mentioned you did a flush but i wanted to save money $$$ and probably do another fluid change in about 1,500 miles to get the remainder of the older fluid out of there

^^Welcome to the Forum Ced. :wave:

Peter

UPDATE ALERT :

Hey Guys so I noticed after a few days issues still here ughh.
something told to connect my cheap Walmart OBD scanner into the car once again .
NO Check engine light but pending code P0113 IAT volts too high

i hate to find out the throttle bod is bad cause the aren't cheap
I've seen a video where the guy was explaining how a gas pedal sensor can go bad providing a incorrect readings to throttle body

the car is a used cop car so i thinking maybe i have bad gas pedal
someone near e was parting out and i found a explorer wth 56,000 mile and bought the original gas pedal for 20$, installed over weekend and haven't had ANY ANY hesitation whatsoever. been driving a few days and it runs perfect

check your gas pedal peeps!!

Hey thread. Glad I found this. I have a 2017 PIU and have the same issue, along with a couple others. I'm having my mechanic drain the fluid today, he looked at me like I was on drugs. He doesn't think it will help.

Hey thread. Glad I found this. I have a 2017 PIU and have the same issue, along with a couple others. I'm having my mechanic drain the fluid today, he looked at me like I was on drugs. He doesn't think it will help.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I guess we will know soon enough if it worked.:)
Please report back. Thanks.

Peter

So did it work for you Stem?

Yes it did. I have no surging RPM and it runs smooth at lower speeds. The shop was confused because there was no leaks yet the fluid was low.

The fluid gets all the friction additive used because Police interceptor idles then goes screaming after a car and then idles again which doesn't cool the very hot trans fluid. Eventually based on heat cycles the fluid deteriorates to the point the the transmission starts shuddering on light throttle.

Back