Just bought this 1991 explorer for $900 as is!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought this 1991 explorer for $900 as is!!!

1967scrambler

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 ford explorer
Just picked up this 1991 explorer as you see it for $900. 6" skyjacker lift up front, spring over axle in rear, 3" body lift, on 35s. Was an auto but previous owner converted to 5 speed with manual T-case and manual hubs. Only issues are that it needs an allignment, interior is rough (mostly the seats) and it really needs gears(only has 3.55s) What gears do you guys think I should run with the 35s and 5 speed, 4.10 or 4.56?
12aCJqBreC

Edit: I guess you can't see it? Don't know why my photos aren't uploading? Any help would be appreciated, I tride copying and pasting the url from my instagram but the photos aren't showing up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A copy/paste from ZWilson07 in my build thred:

In my experience with the rangers and explorers with v6 motors has been

33s with 4.10 gear and manual transmission was ok. About the lowest I would ever want and certainly not with auto tranny but I was lucky and one of mine had came with 4.10 manual from the factory.

33s with 4.56 is about perfect for 33s with auto transmission, even more fun with a manual.

33s with 4.88 would be overkill especially with a manual transmission, with an auto it might not be crazy bad but enough to live with if you truly are going to go up in tire size soon.

For an explorer with 35s, 4.56 wouldn't be to bad with a manual but with an auto I would definitely opt for 4.88 if only doing it once. If it had a v8 then that can change things and let you be ok with a little less on the gear but that usually isn't the norm for most explorers and rangers.

Hope that helps you out:thumbsup:

You'd want at least 4.56 gears with 35's, if you're mostly going to drive it on pavement. If you plan on going off-road and doing any serious trails, or just want the best torque and acceleration rather than faster speeds on the road (which is pretty pointless with a lift and 35's), then go for 4.88.

4.10 gears are more for 31's, 4.56 gears for 33's.

I'm running 4.56 with 35s and it does alright on the street, it is a bit gutless but I do get pretty good fuel mileage. They're not that great off road however, even in 4low they are to high to crawl anything without hitting it with to much speed.

You'll be fine with 4.56. I've run 4.56 for 19 years now, a couple years running 33s, 5 years running 35s, and 12 years running 37s. I put on over 300,000 miles with the various sizes, all with 4.56. Lots of freeway, lots of city miles, lots of hard off-roading. You'll be fine.

Thanks for all of your help, sounds like I should get the 4.56 gears. Its still a dana 35 TTB up front, does anybody know where I can get some 4.56 gears for it? I'm a little new to the TTB setup but to my understanding it's a high pinion dana 35, so jeep dana 35 gears wont work? It needs reverse cut gears? Anyone know where I can get some reverse cut 4.56 dana 35 gears on a budget?

Back