Just changed brakes, very soft pedal -- air in the lines? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just changed brakes, very soft pedal -- air in the lines?

shadowless127

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 EB AWD 5.0
Just changed my front brakes. When doing my drivers side brakes, for some dumb reason I had a brain fart and accidently loosened the bolt that I assume attached the hose to the calliper, because fluid started coming out. So I tightened it up, but apparently not well since when i did a test run after the brake job I had NO stopping power. Get home, spot the leak, get under and tighten up the bolt more; had a friend of my press the pedal a few times and no leak. Took the trusty 'ole 93 X to the store to get some more brake fluid, topped of the master cylinder and now I have SOME stopping power but not nearly enough where I feel comfortable driving it to work tuesday.

I'm gussing I got a massive amount of air in the lines. Hoping someone is open tomorrow because I REALLY don't want to take the 93 to work lol.

Is my assumption correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have air in the lines. Why not bleed the brakes yourself? Have a buddy pump the brakes a few times to build pressure and then hold the brake pressed firmly. Loosen the bleeder valve until the brake hits the floor. DO NOT bring the brake back up until you tighten the valve. Repeat until no more bubbles come out. Do all 4 brakes and make sure you add some brake fluid as you go. If that doesn't cure the problem, then you may have some other issues. Let us know how it works out.

yeah man, its simple. just remember to start at the furthest tire from the booster (right rear) and work your way closer (right rear, left rear, right front, left front.) I'd try just doing whatever one leaked the oil first, and if that doesnt work do them all in that order.

I'm assuming the bolt I loosed was the bleeder valve? As soon as I loosened it fluid started coming out.

Back