Just got a set of Eagle Cobra R Replicas... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got a set of Eagle Cobra R Replicas...

I just got a deal on a set of 17x9 polished Eagle Cobra R Replicas with a 23mm offset and 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Which size tires should I run? A 275/50/17, 275/55/17 or 275/60/17? What do you guys think? If I go with the 275/60/17 won't I have to do some cutting so they don't rub when I turn?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I viewed it but I don't know the answer. Sorry - maybe I was looking at it thinking there'd be some pics...

geesh

30 people are not that many, I say run the 60's if you can stuff them, wider is better :)

Get some pictures when you mount them up and dont be so quick to judge people on here, I too came in here looking for pictures.
If you search the forum you will find LOTS of people running those rims and maybe find out what size tires they are running and why....

geesh

30 people are not that many, I say run the 60's if you can stuff them, wider is better :)

Get some pictures when you mount them up and dont be so quick to judge people on here, I too came in here looking for pictures.
If you search the forum you will find LOTS of people running those rims and maybe find out what size tires they are running and why....

I'm not judging people on here but look at the date I posted that. I would have never gotten a respose. I've searched for hours and have not found my answer. Also, running the 60's would not be wider that's the height. The 275 would be the width which is what I want to run but I'm not sure on the height. What I'm wanting to know is if there's a big difference between the 275/55 or 275/60 as far as the ride? Obviously a little more tire "the 60's" wouldn't be as low profile as the 55's but I'm pretty sure there about an 1" taller than the 55's. Will I be loosing a little torque because of the bigger diameter? I know if you run the 60's you also have to not only relocate the rear e-brake line but do some notching out on the front ball joints. Pictures anyone?

Oh yes you are correct, sorry I was thinking 255 vs 260 for some reason

Good luck! I am sure somebody on here will know

are you lowered or raise? I'm running 255/60/17 lowered about two inches. I'm pretty sure if it was stock height, or raised the sidewall would be rubbing the balljoint. I had to tie up the ebrake line in the back with some zip ties btw.

But that doesn't make sense. hah. Anyways there's about 1/2" to 1" clearance between the sidewall and the balljoint.

edit:

cobrajeff on here has had

In some of my posted photos, it has 295/50x17 Goodyears, in the more recent ones, it has 265/70x17 Bridgestone Revos.

I know I asked him to send me some pictuers, which he obliged. I just have to dig them up, some of them might be in his gallery.

I've been running 275/55-17's on 17 x 9 Cobra R's since 2000. I love 'em! The handling is awesome compared to the 235/75-15's it came with, plus, the speedometer is dead on, I didn't have to make any adjustments. Plus I think it looks great with these. I did drop the nose just enough to compensate for the droopy rear syndrome these X's suffer from. I've done no cutting but I do need to run a set of Explorer Express 3/8" spacers on the front to keep from rubbing the sway bar in full lock turns.

The rub will not be from the tires... the inside of the wheels will rub on the lower control arm at full turn. Either dont turn it all the way, or hit the lip of the lower arm with a grinder. :)

The rub will not be from the tires... the inside of the wheels will rub on the lower control arm at full turn. Either dont turn it all the way, or hit the lip of the lower arm with a grinder. :)

So the tire size between the two sizes (275/55 and 275/60) won't matter as far as rubbing, it's the wheel in general?
So what are my options...
-Do nothing and just don't turn it all the way so it doesn't rub
-Get spacers for the front which I think people use a 3/16 spacer? Correct me if I'm wrong (would like to avoid spacers)
-Or take a grinder to the lip of the lower arm?

When you say take a grinder to the lip of the lower arm, is this something that could be done with a dremel tool? Do you or anyone have pictures of this?

I rub the swaybar before I get close to rubbing on the control arms.

The only rub I have ever had was a slight tire rub on the sway bars at full lock turn without the spacers on the front. This is with FMS #M-1007-R58 Cobra R's with the 5.98 inch backspacing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same offset (or at least with a millimeter of the offset) that MadMike runs? I've never had a control arm rub issue, even on extreme suspension travel while making full lock turns, I've been running this combo for 6 1/2 years. Did Ford change the design of the lower control arms between 1996 and 1998? Do you know this one, 410?

The spacers I'm running measure 3/8" thick.

First of all see if the size you are looking for are available for the price you are willing to pay. Plus keep in mind not all brands carry all those sizes.

First of all see if the size you are looking for are available for the price you are willing to pay. Plus keep in mind not all brands carry all those sizes.

Yeah I've already decided I'm going to go with the Toyo Proxes S/T in either the 275/55 or 275/60. Trying to figure that part out. I had Proxes on my s-10 Extreme and was by far the best tires I've ever owned.

hmmmm......... odd. :confused:

Mine never once rubbed on the sway bar. I ran replica's w/ 6" backspacing, standard 17x9 flavor. I was lowered 2".

I dont have any pics, but there was a thread i remember posting pics in. I just ran a couple of searches and cant find it.

I have 275-60-17's on those exact wheels now--and my keys are fipped in front.
It never touches the control arm, but does slightly rub front swaybar at full lock.

For the rear, you will have to locate the emergency brake cable inboard of the contol arm link, or it may rub on tire--

In front-I did have to grind some casting flash from the upper ball joint area.

I have 275-60-17's on those exact wheels now--and my keys are fipped in front.
It never touches the control arm, but does slightly rub front swaybar at full lock.

For the rear, you will have to locate the emergency brake cable inboard on=f the contol arm, or it may rub on tire--

In front-I did have to grind some casting flash from the upper ball joint area.

When you say it slightly rubs front swaybar at full lock, are you talking about the tire or the wheel that rubs? If it's the tire, is it rubbing because you went with the 60 instead of the 55?
If I ran the 275/55/17's it would be really close to my stock setup now as far as overall diameter which is 235/75/15. If I run the 275/60/17 they will be an 1" taller which should make the ride a little better than the 55's since there is a little more tire but will it make that big of a difference in performance as far as taking a little torque away?

I have rubbing issues with my tires, I am running the 275/60/17 Kuhmo ECSTA STX on Replica Cobra wheels with 26mm of backspacing. My left front tire rubs on the upper balljoint and I know both tires will rub the sway bar when turning the wheel all the way. I just don't turn the wheel all the way.

I have a slight groove in the inside of my left tires (I rotate them every 6,000 miles), I inspect them for any signs of wear other than what they already have. I am planning on lowering the truck and will see if the balljoint still rubs on the tire. I like the ride I have with the tires, good handling but not too stiff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back