Just got back from AZ on the Rocks (photos) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got back from AZ on the Rocks (photos)

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Just got back from AZ on the Rocks

For those tht didn't hear, this run was setup by some of the guys on the POR board. Mostly hard core rigs were out there. Some real cool full tube Toys and Zuks. Those guys ran a new trail called 6th Day today, while the group I went with ran Raw Deal and Upper Terminator.

This was the first time on Upper Terminator for me. It was a pretty cool trail, nothing terribly difficult, just lots of boulders and tight spots to manuver through.

Some guy in a nearly stock full size Bronco decided to try the trail.... BAD idea. He started with a beautiful clean white truck with no body damage at all. When we were through he had a badly dented front bumper, his rear bumper was pulled out at a 90 degree angle, not one panel on the passenger side was free from dents, his rocker panel on the right side was dented and he busted a tail light.. Who knows what the bottom of his truck looked like:eek: He was dragging and scrapping the whole way through. Since he had open diffs he had to launch his truck over obstacles or get the strap, or a team push. I hate it when people take ill equipped machines on a tough trail... It really blows the day for the rest of us
:rolleyes:

Oh, we also had a kid in Toy P/U whose steering was so messed up he was plowing one tire sideways while the other was going straight

Anyway, I'll have photos up soon.:eek: He STARTED the trail that way:rolleyes: I'm surprised the thing made it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the photo gallery:
Dead Link Removed

Some pretty sweet pics there. LOL about the Bronco, what was he thinking. Looked like a pretty hard trail, but then again im not an expert on trails.

"Which one of these doesn't fit in, which one.....doesn't belong?" - SchoolHouse Rock

DSCF2576.jpg

Once Again....Great Pics Rick! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Robb

Did anything happen to the Pumpkin? How did it compare with the other hardcore rigs?

Glad you had a good time, kinda sorry that guy has to sleep in the doghouse for all of 2003 though :nono:

Pumpkin did fine. No damage except maybe some more scrapes to the rock sliders.

How did it compare... well look at the other rigs and tell me what you think. I wouldn't even go on the same trails as the full tubed out buggies. There is a reason they're like that... they are on their sides as much as their on their rubber. The Pumpkin isn't to that point yet.

Hmmm, think I saw a bunch of trail nono's; Gerald would've been mad ;)

But looks like overall a great run!

Looks like you had fun, I'd like to get there some day... Great pics!

Sweet pics Rick, the half doors look really good. And regarding stock trucks, I only go where I know I can get back from in one piece. I think its embarrasing to get dragged along the trail all day long and/or come back with major body damage. But once I do my SAS.....then a different story.

Originally posted by Alec
Hmmm, think I saw a bunch of trail nono's; Gerald would've been mad ;)

But looks like overall a great run!

One of them must be the little kid in the back of that Jeep during dangerous climbing...

Nice pics Rick, the Bronco guy must have been half-mad to try to keep up with you guys stock...:eek:

Went back today to run Judgment Day. Trouble is no one else was up for the run:( The guy who was going to lead the run busted his frame at the steering box yesterday. Not sure why the others didn't want to go.

Oh well... at least I know where the trail is and we can give it a try next time.

Looks like fun, some pretty wild looking rigs there. That Bronco needs some help for sure. Great pic.s

I wished I could have made it...I would have ran raw deal

still cant get over the dude in the stock bronco...defently not the smartest guy in the world

Not enough Fords on that run!!!

Hey Rick, did that blue Foward-Control Jeep run any trails? I love those things, they're so strange!

No Bill, that was his tow rig. That was quite an awesome machine. The bed in that thing seemed super long. I'm not sure that it was though it may just have been that it was so narrow it seemed londer than 8', but I don't know...

Wow, you're really with the BigDawgs now Rick. I've love to ride along sometime :bounce:

And no, I don't see anything wrong with taking your kid along. Looks like he is belted in and there's a rollbar, right? I hope my kid wants to ride with me more often!

Nice pics, Rick!

But what a waste of a perfectly good Bronco. People doing stuff like this to vehicles really get me going.

Back