• Register Today It's free!

just lost forward gears

Firecracker680

Reaction score
City, State
Hudson, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 99 explorer sport 4.0 sohc with the 4x4. Just recently I've lost my forward gears. Reverse is fine but when I put it in 1,2, or drive it starts moving forward slowly but feels like the tranny is not fully engaging. I've heard from several people that the tranny needs to be rebuilt but my dad says it could just be the solenoid. Has anybody else had this problem?

I had my tranny rebuilt a couple of years and 15,000 miles ago.
The owner of the truck at that time told me that he had to rebuild because the only gear working was 1. No R, no 2 or D or OD.

Now, my flexplate broke, it was replaced with a brand new one and I got a message asI wrote in the other topic. This morning I had a problem like yours, and I thought the cold weather could be the reason because after a few minutes all gears were working again.
But I feel like they slip, and as the garage man told me everything is fine (the main part of the transmission, I mean), it could be just a part of it that failed.

Reading in the forum, I learnt (I hope I learnt well) that solenoid could be the reason, but you better replace others too, because mileage has affected all of them and sooner or later you may have the same problem.

Just my 2 cents from Italy, regards

Back