Just Ordered my 2017 Explorer Limited | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just Ordered my 2017 Explorer Limited

@fatboyO Do you find the splash guards help at all? In particular my Explorer is prone to getting the rear camera filthy in any sort of wet conditions just by normal driving. I always have to use the rear-washer to clean it before I can back up. In dry weather, it's fine. I did a mountain pass trip in the winter and the entire back of my car was covered in what I can only describe as "pale caramel ice". Chipped it off at a gas station. Just wondering if mudflaps will mitigate this.

e4bt5X.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ I had splash guards on my 2011 and they mainly served to keep the lower body panels a little cleaner and stopped much of the slush from getting on the body. They also keep the spray down for following vehicles. I doubt they would make much of a difference in the situation you were in. An SUV by its design is prone to the build up you had. I did not install them on my 2017 and didn't really notice any difference with debris build up on the back end.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/back-always-dirty.361840/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/splash-guards.306439/

Peter

@fatboyO Do you find the splash guards help at all? In particular my Explorer is prone to getting the rear camera filthy in any sort of wet conditions just by normal driving. I always have to use the rear-washer to clean it before I can back up. In dry weather, it's fine. I did a mountain pass trip in the winter and the entire back of my car was covered in what I can only describe as "pale caramel ice". Chipped it off at a gas station. Just wondering if mudflaps will mitigate this.

e4bt5X.png
I've only got 1200 Kim's on mine and haven't really driven through any muddy areas so I won't have any useful input at this time .....

I did however notice that my back window gets far more dirty under normal driving conditions than our van.

I've only got 1200 Kim's on mine and haven't really driven through any muddy areas so I won't have any useful input at this time .....

I did however notice that my back window gets far more dirty under normal driving conditions than our van.
Thanks, that's what I was afraid of (plus what Peter said). Something special about the Explorer that allows so much mess to accumulate on the back, which is more than any other vehicle I've driven. Not end of the world, only slightly annoying. I do go through more wash than ever -- use it mostly to clean the cameras, which is a nice feature.

Except for our Mustang GT, which is Black and gets driven only on sunny days, both our new Explorer and my F-150 are Silver for one reason only, and that is because Silver hides the dirt/dust better then any other color and regular washing is a waste of time living down a dirt road. The back end of all vehicles gets dirty/dusty first regardless of us having splashguards or not.

How long did it take to ship your Explorer to Southern Ontario? Mine is showing "awaiting shipment" on cotus with a May 23 delivery date. Reeeaaally hoped to get it before the long weekend but I don't know if that'll happen :dunno:

Ordered on FEB 13
In order processing-Unscheduled-clean on March 15
Scheduled for March 30 (on March 16)
Produced on March 31
Awaiting shipment-released on April 3
Shipped to another location on April 4
Shipped to dealer- delivered on April 7
6 1/2 weeks total

As you can see, once it was released to be shipped it took 4 days. With that delivery date of yours, it's not build yet. Do you have a build date or a window sticker? Or a VIN?
Your dealer can tell you the day it's scheduled to be build, unless the order to be build hasn't been sent to the plant yet. Once that happens the sticker will be available for download shortly. Build date shows on it too.

Ordered on FEB 13
In order processing-Unscheduled-clean on March 15
Scheduled for March 30 (on March 16)
Produced on March 31
Awaiting shipment-released on April 3
Shipped to another location on April 4
Shipped to dealer- delivered on April 7
6 1/2 weeks total

As you can see, once it was released to be shipped it took 4 days

Thanks Pete! Will cotus display the progress of the shipping for me? I mean to ask how did you find out it was shipped to another location?

No. Cotus is better then nothing i suppose but shows only part of what's going on. The vehicle visibility site dealers have is much better and shows everything. I used to have access to it when i still worked for ford, but i'm retired now

I wonder if that "other location" is some sort of customs clearance step and/or distribution holding area before going out to individual dealers.

no, it's just another location for the convoy company (Cassens Transport, in my case) to assemble loads and when they have a truck load to any given location, it gets shipped. Mine ended up at the Chrysler plant yard in Detroit, where they haul vehicles out of as well for the 3 days.

Have any of you had your expected delivery date go blank in cotus before?? It's still on Awaiting Shipment but where it used to say expected delivery date/x days to delivery it's blank :(

Yes, i've seen it in vehiclevisibility as well.. Do you see a new ETA now?

Yes, i've seen it in vehiclevisibility as well.. Do you see a new ETA now?
Cotus portal is down for regularly scheduled maintenance until 10. I'll check again then... last I checked yesterday evening it was blank and still awaiting shipment. :(

Hi folks,

Been shopping for a few months and reading this forum over the last week since we decided on what vehicle to buy.

As a result of some the information I found here, we decided to go ahead and order a new 2017 Limited.

Seems that getting one in White Platinum/Ebony Leather with buckets/console and otherwise fully loaded is a challenge up here in Ontario....so we had to put in a factory order.

Dealer tells me it could 2-3 months before we get one....wow...was really hoping to have it for the winter but I guess it is what it is....

Can't wait for the updates from the dealer/factory along the way.
Did you get it from a dealer order sheet or online?

Have any of you had your expected delivery date go blank in cotus before?? It's still on Awaiting Shipment but where it used to say expected delivery date/x days to delivery it's blank :(

Yes, this means its within a couple days or so. Mine went blank on a Friday, came in the next Wednesday. Its a good thing.

Yes, this means its within a couple days or so. Mine went blank on a Friday, came in the next Wednesday. Its a good thing.
Thanks! That's good to hear. I appreciate the info :chug:

Nope. Genuinely still awaiting shipment :(. Dealer says they're not sure why it hasn't been shipped yet:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back