Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT V8 4WD
Callsign
Ruddy
I don't know if they had fleet Explorers back then, but this was some kind of "light cop car". It was never registered to a person in California. I see evidence of back tailgate window interior mount. Something was behind the 2nd row on the floor with lots of sheet metal screws in the plastic and some very fat electrical cables cut off under the carpet. The dash/console shows no evidence of anything mounted. Motor/transmission super responsive. Body and handling very taught. Interior perfect. 126k miles.
Only options are the V8, 4WD, Sync and 17" wheels.

1635445494.jpg

1635445568.jpg

1635445782.jpg

1635445932.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like a good score. The nice thing about government fleet vehicles is that they have usually been maintained meticulously and repaired whenever needed. Think of it as getting some of your tax money back. :)

Super nice, good find.

Went to Pick-n-Pull today to get some stuff for my Ford 460 truck. Saw some 0* Expeditions and Excursions there and that reminded this Explorer did not have the Easy Fill funnel. While looking for that I stumbled on the trailer brake pig-tail still in the package. Grabbed that and found the funnel in a poor little smashed Fiesta.

Question - I have a 2007. I know some things changed between the 2007 and 2010 but what exactly is an easy fill funnel?
I find it interesting that it doesn't have a V8 badge on the front fender. Did they stop doing this on the 2010 model or is that another quirk of a police specific model?
If it was a 'cop car' then it wasn't in patrol duty. The driver's seat shows no damage from what a cop would normally wear.

2008 or 2009 they started putting in the capless filler. My wife's 2009 Escape has it. if you ever need to add gas from a container or add some Techron, you need this exact sized funnel.
No Badging for V8, I don't think any trim level does.
That's why I called it "light" cop car, or maybe it should have been "Cop Car Lite" Guessing some kind of investigating type driver.
Under Cover Moby White Patrol!

Gotcha. It looks good - it will cause you grief over the years but we all seem to hang with them anyway. Bookmark this site - you will need it. Not saying you made a bad choice - I've got a 2007 that I refuse to part with. Just that it will cause some grief and some work.

My white 2010 Limited V8 now has 104K miles. All it has needed was a flange on the muffler pipe (NY winters) and front wheel bearings. A great little truck! Many happy and safe miles to you! Love those fleet trucks; I've always bought them and they've always served me well. Hope you got a good deal. The V8's command quite a premium around here.

Good to hear!
Spent the last 4 years trying resurrect a couple of Volvo S60 AWD models. The tough life 168k mile 2004 one has a highway vibration I never did solve no matter how many parts I changed out. The pampered 115k mile 2005 one is decent on the highway, but has a oil leak between the 2 halves of the block. Both have very jarring reactions to every road imperfection. Both have the horrible Aisin transmission.
My wife has a 2009 Escape V6 4WD. We bought it new and it now has 213k miles on it. There was warranty work done early in it's life to the cam phasers and the transmission got a complete rebuild at 74k.(we had 75k extended warranty). Last year I replaced the upper hydraulic motor mount, but everything else has been routine maintenance. It is still very solid, transmission great, smooth on the highway. Motor now burning a quart between oil changes, but engine still very strong.
Based on my wife's Ford and how solid this Explorer is, I know my experience has to be better than those Volvo's! ;-)

My white 2010 Limited V8 now has 104K miles. All it has needed was a flange on the muffler pipe (NY winters) and front wheel bearings. A great little truck! Many happy and safe miles to you! Love those fleet trucks; I've always bought them and they've always served me well. Hope you got a good deal. The V8's command quite a premium around here.

You can't begin to compare this little truck to a Volvo. Two different animals. The Volvo's a disposable throw-away unibody with stamped suspension parts. A different league. Any car can give you problems, and any part can fail. But the Ford truck's just an overall more robust design.

Actually they have solid aluminum suspension parts, it's sister car the Ford Taurus has stamped steel ones. ;-)
I hear you though, Explorer is made for much more heavy duty operation and the components reflect that. I'm going to treat it right and I expect good things! :)

looks nice, good luck with it! Keep an eye on the stupid plastic thermostat housing and replace with a metal one when it starts to leak, other than that, enjoy!
Very happy with my 2010 EB, now over 111K miles.

looks nice, good luck with it! Keep an eye on the stupid plastic thermostat housing and replace with a metal one when it starts to leak, other than that, enjoy!
Very happy with my 2010 EB, now over 111K miles.
Bob, he has a V8. It doesn't have the issue with the thermostat housing.

Good to hear!
Spent the last 4 years trying resurrect a couple of Volvo S60 AWD models. The tough life 168k mile 2004 one has a highway vibration I never did solve no matter how many parts I changed out. The pampered 115k mile 2005 one is decent on the highway, but has a oil leak between the 2 halves of the block. Both have very jarring reactions to every road imperfection. Both have the horrible Aisin transmission.
My wife has a 2009 Escape V6 4WD. We bought it new and it now has 213k miles on it. There was warranty work done early in it's life to the cam phasers and the transmission got a complete rebuild at 74k.(we had 75k extended warranty). Last year I replaced the upper hydraulic motor mount, but everything else has been routine maintenance. It is still very solid, transmission great, smooth on the highway. Motor now burning a quart between oil changes, but engine still very strong.
Based on my wife's Ford and how solid this Explorer is, I know my experience has to be better than those Volvo's! ;-)
Rod, are you sure it's burning oil? The V6 Escapes are notorious for oil leaks. Valve covers, oil pan, front cover, etc. I've had 3 of them and all needed resealing at some point.

The pan did get bumped pretty hard 40k miles ago and we ended up having it replaced and any other seals in the area. It has been perfectly dry under there ever since.

Rod, are you sure it's burning oil? The V6 Escapes are notorious for oil leaks. Valve covers, oil pan, front cover, etc. I've had 3 of them and all needed resealing at some point.

Back