Just purchased first 1998 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just purchased first 1998 Ford Explorer

2011explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
Hello all. Not just my first Explorer, my first SUV. I have owned 3 Mustangs and when it was time to purchase something 4 wheel drive, I could not pass up the comfort of the Explorer. Maybe just a bit use to Ford vehicles in general.

Anyways, it is a 1998 Explorer 4.0 SOHC, Automatic, AWD/4WD, bone stock all the way down to the original window sticker in the glove box, 122,000 miles

Any advice on Explorer quirks, etc would be great, fuel OCTANE, tire AIR PRESSURE recommendations ( for stock size P235/75R15's )(Michelin LT X ), Type of OIL (non-synthetic of course, not gonna run synthetic in a vehicle over 10 years old). Anybody running 15W40 in the Explorer with higher mileage rather than the stock 5W30 ?

Thanks

Also, any Explorer specific online part suppliers for basic stock items (Ford Air filters, plugs, etc ? ) I would hate to have to pay dealer prices for simple items on a vehicle with 122,000 miles on it

Thanks again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alot of members with 150k+ run synthetic....
Congrats on the pick up though, 122k is pretty low lol

how much did u pick it up for?

With the 4.0 I do believe the service life of the timing belt is right around 150k. Some people report issues with it as soon as 100k miles. I think that, and your shocks, wheel hubs and dif fluids change should be what you look at in the next 20k miles.

If you catch the timing belt before it fails you should be golden. I'd also look into your T/C fluid, mine was filled with gear oil when I got it. :( Synthetics is definitely the way I go on all fluids.

I will have to research the timing belt issues

As far as synthetics, I guess I just like to stick with the type of OIL that comes Stock in a vehicle, another reason I enjoy owning older cars, I am sure most of the fluids in new vehicles are sythetic or atleast partially synthetic.

I could of picked up the Explorer for about 2,000.00 I believe, the vehicle was in tip top, almost show room condition so I did not mind paying the asking price. I am not one for stressing over a price, some things are just worth a certain amount, and a stress free purchase is much easier than haggling over a price.

thanks for the replies on the explorer, gonna put some new Tread on it soon, followed by a good Radiator Flush

Actually you will find that synthetic fluids improve the life of all engines new and old. The oil coats and sticks better because the smaller molecular lvl of synth fluids flow into the tiny pores, scratches and imperfections within the metal.
Also with the extended protection blends you can get 12k miles easy, but it only runs a little more than 1 oil change in cost. Or if you do it yourself you actually spend less than if you have a shop change your oil with standard.

Right now it runs me about $35 per 12k synth oil change.

Back